Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a cisco linksys wireless router E1200, It is working

Customer Question
fine, but I bought a...
I have a cisco linksys wireless router E1200, It is working fine, but I bought a new reader/pad that I need to connect to the wireless router and I have lost my password, this is a problem more than just connecting the new item - I am concerned that if my Iphone or printer etc. were to lose connection I would not be able to reconnect without knowing my password. Is there a way to find the password XXXXX if not should I reset the router and start over? If I do reset what do I do to get everything re connected with a new password. I am scared to do this because things are going so well right now but know I need to do something. XXXX XXX XXXXX- [email protected] - XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
4/18/2012
Network Technician: Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator replied 5 years ago
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

To view your password XXXXX CISCO CONNECT click here...

To Reset the Linksys router to factory defaults

To do this, press and hold the Reset button located at the back of the router for 10 seconds.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Power LED of the router is blinking when you press the Reset button. This indicates that the router is being reset properly.

After pressing the Reset button, unplug and re-plug the router’s power adapter.

Before accessing the router’s web-based setup page, make sure the router is powered ON and the computer is WIRED to one of the Ethernet ports on the router (1, 2, 3 or 4).

Access the router’s web-based setup page

Step 1:
Launch a web browser like Internet Explorer.

Step 2:
In the Address bar, enter your router’s IP address then press [Enter].

The router’s default IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Step 3:
Enter your router's User name and Password then click OK.

The default password XXXXX “admin” and you may leave the User name field blank.

Step 4
On the setup page, click the Wireless > Wireless Security.

You can also set the wireless security of your Linksys E-Series routers

with Cisco Connect.

To learn how, CLICK HERE.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am in a bigger mess now, I pushed reset on the router and am trying to a ccess the router set up page and it will not let me past the user name and password XXXXX I used the xxxxx"admin" as password (will not work)

Okay, Press and hold the Reset button located at the back of the router for 30 seconds
Make sure that the Power LED of the router is blinking when you press the Reset button. This indicates that the router is being reset properly.

Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
OK after I do teh reset what do I do to get set up with new password XXXXX I can connect my printer and I phone and new pad wirelessly
You can connect them now by choosing the Linksys network.
Or you can follow these steps
This method requires you to have the Cisco Connect software installed on your computer. If you don’t have Cisco Connect, click here for instructions on how to install it; or if you would like to set up wireless security on your Linksys router without using the Cisco Connect software, click here.

Step 1:
Launch Cisco Connect.

NOTE: To launch Cisco Connect using Windows, go to Start > All Programs > Cisco Connect. To launch Cisco Connect on a Mac OS, navigate to the Applications folder in Go, and then start Cisco Connect. For more instructions, click here.

Step 2:
Click Router settings on the main Cisco Connect window.

Step 3:
On the Personalize section, click Change.

NOTE: A pop-up window will give you information about changing the router name and password. Click Yes if you want to proceed.

Step 4:
You can change the Router name (SSID) and Password (passphrase) from here. Once done, click Change.

Your changes will now be saved. This could take a few seconds up to a minute.

NOTE: Once you’re done, you can choose to create an Easy Setup Key by inserting a storage device into your computer’s USB port. This will enable you to store the Router name and Password for use with other wireless computers. For instructions on how to create one, click here. If you choose not to, click on Cancel.

Your wireless settings have been changed.

When wireless computers try to connect to your network, the Router Name you just set will be the Wireless Network Name (SSID), and the Password will be the Password or Network Key.

DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL CISCO CONNECT

Before you configure your wireless security settings, make sure that your computer is connected directly to your router using an Ethernet/Internet cable.

Step 1:
Launch a web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer or Safari). Enter your router’s IP address on the Address bar, and then press [Enter].

NOTE: If you are using a Mac computer, click here.

QUICK TIP: The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1. To view instructions on how to check the IP address of your router, click here.

Step 2:
Once the login prompt appears, enter your router’s User name and Password.

IMPORTANT: If your User name and Password XXXXX not accepted when accessing the router’s web-based setup page, it is recommended that you reset your router to its factory defaults. For instructions, click here. Resetting your router will erase all the previous settings of your router. You need to reconfigure it to be able to access the Internet again.

NOTE: The default router password is admin but if you have used Cisco Connect to set up your router, you may have to open the software to retrieve them. To retrieve your router User name and Password XXXXX Cisco Connect, go to Router Settings > Advanced Settings.

Changing the wireless settings

Step 1:
On the web-based setup page, click the Wireless tab then click the Wireless Security sub-tab.

Step 2:
You may set the Security Mode to any of the following. Click on the links below to learn how:

Setting up WPA 2/WPA mixed-mode, WPA2 Personal, WPA Personal Security Mode
Setting Up WEP Security Mode

NOTE: Setting your Security Mode to RADIUS, WPA Enterprise or WPA2 Enterprise is only applicable when a RADIUS server is connected to the router.

It is also recommended that you use WPA2 Personal or WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode security mode for your Linksys Wireless-N routers to ensure that they operate at full data rates.

Step 1:
In the Passphrase field, enter the password XXXXX want to use.

Step 2:
Click Save Settings.

NOTE: Enter a Passphrase of 8-63 alphanumeric characters. This type of Security Mode is case-sensitive.

The answers were no more than I could get by going to the product wedsite and reading myself which I had already done and needed more help. I asked you to please reply to me more and never got anymore help. I went an bought a new wireless router before it was over and then learned how to fix the old one from the info in that package. I will never use this service again.
I am very sorry that this happened, I have not received any replies from you on this. I do not know what happened. I hope you will understand. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I will submit a refund request for your deposit immediately.
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator