Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Have a new Kindle Fire and am unable to connect to wi-fi. Have

Customer Question
older kindle reader that connects...
Have a new Kindle Fire and am unable to connect to wi-fi. Have older kindle reader that connects fine. Help ? wirless networking is turned on. Security-wep. Signal strength-good. After attempting to connect I get this message ' unable to connect to the selected access point. Please check the password XXXXX have selected' I am using the same password XXXXX I use with other devices.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
3/19/2012
Network Technician: Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator replied 5 years ago
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Hi! Thank You for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question and get your problem resolved! I will need a little more info please. What is the brand and model # XXXXX your router?

Hi Randy,

Microsoft 54 mbps model #MN-700

Open your Web browser, and then type the Internet protocol (IP) address of the base station in the address field.
By default, this address is http://192.168.2.1.
2. To log on, type the base station password XXXXX you created when you ran the Setup Wizard. If you did not run the
Setup Wizard, use the default base station password, admin. The base station password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive.
Open the Base Station Management Tool,
Then Security.
Under the Mac Filtering, Mac address control, make sure there is no check in the box beside Enable mac filtering.
Then try and connect.
this didn't work, there was no check in that box. any other ideas ?
Be sure you are using the correct capitalization,Tap the 123!? key to enter numbers or symbols. Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard. Tap the Shift key (up arrow) for uppercase letters.
If you have the correct password XXXXX try this,you can tell Kindle Fire to forget a network, To do this.....Tap the Quick Settings symbol in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.Select Wi-Fi from the menu.Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.A list of networks will appear. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. If your network doesn't appear tap the tick box next to Wireless Networking off and on to refresh the list.Tap the name of your network then on the screen prompting you to enter a password, select Forget.
After you do this hold the power button for 20 seconds, then power on and try to connect again.

If you are using WEP Security , then passphrases are not supported by the Kindle Fire

Here is a list of supported network encryption types.........

Kindle Fire can connect to Open, WEP, WPA PSK, WPA2 PSK, WPA EAP, and WPA2 EAP encrypted networks. Kindle Fire can also connect to B, G & N type routers.

Kindle Fire can connect to enterprise networks.

Router Restriction

Compatibility Requirements

WEP Security

Security Key

• 64-bit WEP keys --10 Digits
  • 128-bit WEP keys--26 Digits

Passphrases are not supported

WPA Security

Pass Key
Must be 8-63 digits in length

MAC Filtering

Router must be configured for Kindle Fire to connect. Please contact the person who set up your router or the router manufacturer for assistance.

Firewall

Hidden Network

You must manually connect Kindle Fire in this mode. (Learn how to set up your Wi-Fi network manually.)

What does that mean 'passphrases are not supported by the Kindle Fire'? My password XXXXX XXXXX 10 digit # XXXXX I have wep 64-bit do I need to change my security settings or get a new router ? ..or change my password ?
If you have a 10 digit # XXXXX it should be okay, we can check to be sure.
Try this......
Open the Base Station Management Tool,
Then Security.
Disable the network security and see if the Kindle will connect.
If it does, try changing the password.

this didn't work

Do you still get the same error message?
yes
The best option at this point is to see if you can connect to another network, try an unsecured network and try to connect, then we will know if your network is the problem or if the problem is with the Kindle.
I was able to establish a connection at my mothers..her security is wpa/wpaz psk..if I change my security to wpa should this work ?..or do you think I need a newer router
Try changing your security and password XXXXX then if you can not connect, try getting another router.
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
We had to buy a new router for our system that cost us $170 in able for our PC and other devices to work properly.Wasn't planning on spending so much money just to have a Kindle Fire.I guess you live and learn, the hard way.
I am sorry you had to buy a new router. Let me know if can assist you with anything else. Thank you!
I hope everything is still going well with your wireless network, let me know if I can be of any assistance
I will be glad to answer any follow up questions you may have.
It has been a pleasure to work with you. Thank you very much !
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator