Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I Have the new Uverse Motorola NVG510. It worked fine for two

Customer Question
weeks then it started acting...
I Have the new Uverse Motorola NVG510. It worked fine for two weeks then it started acting up. I have tried everything to remove the moderate nat type so i can play my xbox with friends. I went into the firewall NAT/ gaming menu and added my xbox but it still has the moderate NAT type. I've been to several different websites and tried what other people have done but it still doesn't work.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
3/5/2012
Network Technician: Justin, Certified Networking Engineer replied 5 years ago
Justin
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
Greetings.

I have an idea you can try to get around the NAT that should work no problem with the xbox, but before I do, can you just cover the connection issues that occur on the xbox itself so I can be sure that's the problem I'm thinking?
I can't join in parties with my friends or even chat with them... I tried the easy way of unplugging the modem but it still has a moderate NAT type.

I can't figure out how port forwarding works. Im not sure how to do this...

1. In the Global Port Range fields, type the port(s) you wish to open.

Note: It is recommended to create a separate service entry for each port as opposed to using a port range. In this case the port number should be the same in the two Global Port Range fields.

2. In the Base Host Port field, type the port number used in the first field of the Global Port Range section.
  3. From the Protocol drop-down menu, select the appropriate protocol for the application or device you're adding.
  4. Click the Add button to create the service entry. When added, the entry will be displayed in the Service List section along with a Changes saved message.

You'll have to know your XBOX's IP.

But that's not my concern anyway, adjusting NAT is a pain. If you your xbox to bypass NAt (xbox can't get an infection anyway). Do me a favor real quick and tell me if you can locate DMZ mode or IP PASS THROUGH inside your router.

If you can locate that field, we can do the rest together. Let me know.
Yea IP Passthrough is the next option
Ok that's what we want to use.

That will completely remove NAT from the xbox's connection. Do you know the IP address of the xbox? It can be located within the router as well as a listing of current DHCP leases under the "Lan, or network settings"

If you can't find it, may have to do a remote support so I can hunt it down.
yea i have my xbox on and the ip address, subnet mask, gateway and primary dns server...
Go ahead and insert the XBOX IP address into the DMZ or IP Passthrough (you can reverse this setting if it has adverse affects, but it shouldn't).

Then try to connect using one of your games, and reply and let me know the results.
IP Passthrough
Allocation Mode
Default Server Internal Address
Passthrough Mode
Passthrough Fixed MAC Address
Passthrough DHCP Lease : : :
Days : Hours : Minutes : Seconds
None of the pictures went through, can you just tell me what the error/issue was?
string was too short
Allocation Mode
Default Server Internal Address
Passthrough Mode
Passthrough Fixed MAC Address
Passthrough DHCP Lease
MY options are allocation mode
default server internal address
passthrough mode
passthrough fixed MAC address
I might have to look at these settings with you via remote so we don't make any drastic changes.

That ok with you? No additional charge and I'll be ready in a few minutes.
yea
Cool, give me just a moment and i'll post instructions.

Vista + Firefox, correct?
yea... I think I just figured out port forwarding off of uverse support... I tested the connection 3 times and it was all good
Haha ok, so don't need anything for me then?
I might be good... I just followed their online instructions and added a port range of 25 - 110 with 25 as a base and TCP type... saved it and added it based off the ip address. which I tried doing about 30 times before but I had the range from 4-4 and a base of 4

Please read: Even though I am leaving an answer, remember to use the REPLY TO button for clarification/additional information until you are fully satisfied. Only then you may Accept or Rate my answer. Technical issues may require some back and forth until the issue is completely resolved.

That may be bad actually. 25 is used for SMTP communications, 110 is used for POP communications.

Furthermore, even with that range you're missing some ports, which is going to cause latency later down the road.

The ports you NEED are as follows:

• Port 88 (UDP)

• Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

• Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

• Port 80 (TCP)

UDP and tcp do need to be specified, but if you opened up UDP/TCP on 80 and 88 its not going to hurt anything either.

For chatting, this port is also used:

1863 (udp and tcp)

Understand that each port has a purpose. The ports you likely opened are the first communication ports, which is why the session can go active. But you may have latency or other features may be disabled if you don't do the other ones.

Most nat systems work like this.

Let's say you need to open 80.

The range would be 80-80

You may have to create a rule for EACH port individually since ranges aren't used. Furthermore, if you can enable UPNP (universal plug and play) this should be suffecient in bypassing the NAT.

I'd also like to note, you currently have it setup in a way that I don't recommend, but WILL work, and depending on if you use mail clients, shouldn't be a problem. I do recommend setting it up the way I stated above and letting me know if you have trouble with it.

Lastly, since you did resolve this one on your own, you have no obligation to accept or rate my answer. That's entirely on you. I'm here if you need to bounce anything off me either way, so don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

Justin
Justin
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer