Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have an emachine E528 and cant connect or find our wireless

Customer Question
network how do i turn...
I have an emachine E528 and cant connect or find our wireless network how do i turn on the wifi setting
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
2/27/2012
Network Technician: Ed, PC Technician replied 5 years ago
Ed
Ed, PC Technician

Ed :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply with you name when you have entered the chat and are ready.

Customer:

Ben

Ed :

Hi Ben.

Ed :

If you click the network icon in the bottom right corner of screen does it show wireless networks?

Customer:

it has broad ban and 3g

Ed :

no wireless

Customer:

no sir

Ed :

there is a wireless button at the top of the keyboard right above the F4 key. Is it lit. If not press it to turn it on

Ed :

looks kind of like a satellite dish

Customer:

I have pressed it and it will not light up nor will the blue tooth button. we have used it in the pass but has been a while

Ed :

is this the same machine you are typing on

Customer:

yes i plugged it directly to the modem, i tried to turn on by pressign the button before pluging it directly to the modem and still would not turn on

Ed :

please click start, computer, system properties, device manager and see if there are an red or yellow marks next to anything

Customer:

network controller is yellow

Ed :

wired or wireless

Ed :

what is the exact name of the yellowed controller

Customer:

it is other devices and a drop down with network controller is all it has

Ed :

undet the network controllers what else is listed that is not yellowed

Customer:

processorsa\

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

processor,sound audio,system devices,universial serial bus controllers

Ed :

just expand the network controllers and tell me whats there

Customer:

under general tab device type other device under status driver for this device is not installed code 28 to find a driver for this device click update driver. other tabs in top driver details resources

Ed :

we are only interested in network controllers. click the + or arrow to the left of network controllers to expand it

Customer:

That is what i did and it is the network controller properties that comes up, it is not an arrow their i have to double click on it

Ed :

you should have network adapters like this picture

Ed :

then when you click the arrow next to network adapters you should get the following

Customer:

Aetheros AR8131 PCI -E gigabetethernetcontroller

Ed :

that is the wired one, is anything else listed under network adapters

Customer:

no sir

Ed :

Your model has 2 possible wireless drivers so we are going to have to try them to see which one works. When do you thing was the last time you know wireless was working?

Customer:

3 months

Ed :

ok click the following link then click save

Customer:

ok clicked save then on open

Ed :

does it give you the option to extract all

Customer:

yes sir

Ed :

when the wireless lan folder is the only thing displayed, click the extract all link next to organize

Ed :

make sure show extracted files is checked

Ed :

then click extract

Customer:

ok did that

Ed :

double click the wireless lan folder and then doubleclick setup.exe

Customer:

no set up exe set up iss, set up inx, set up iss, and a set up that is a grey looking icon

Ed :

ok you don't have your syste set to display file extensions for known file types. click the one that looks like the following picture, give me a minute

Customer:

yes sir just let me know when ishould see picture

Ed :

You should have already seen it

Ed :

let me reload the page and see if I can see it

Customer:

no sir no picture

Ed :

not sure why it won't come up. it is the one with an icon between layout.bin and setup.ini

Ed :

double click it

Ed :

if it asks what program to open it with, it's the wrong one

Customer:

ok uploading now

Ed :

ok

Customer:

ok it finished and now the light is on under the wireles button

Customer:

it also has wireless under network tabs on bottom left of screen i see the one at my house

Ed :

click it and try to connect

Customer:

yes sir it is connected you are the man Mr. Ed

Ed :

Great. Please click accept and have a good day

Customer:

yes sir thank you

Ed
Ed, PC Technician
Ed
Ed
Ed, PC Technician