ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator
Experience:  3 yrs experience of Small & Medium business environment.
10156100

my hp computer wont connect to the internet it says limited

my hp computer won't connect to the internet it says limited connectivity to every wifi i try to connect to how do i fix it are get it to connect to the internet

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

What operating system is the problematic PC using? XP, Vista, or Windows 7?

Customer:

ok i have an hp computer it has always connect to the internet but the last few days i havent been able to connect to the internet im only getting limited connectivity

ITTechQ&A :

Customer:

its a window vista i took it to a repair shop a few months ago to have my hard drive replaced but the vista program that was installed says the copy of windows is not genuine

ITTechQ&A :

OK, it seems that they did not use the system disc and product key when installing Vista on your PC.

Customer:

ok but its still been able to connect to the internet do you know what i can do to get it to connect

ITTechQ&A :

That's sort of a big issue because that will most likely require reinstalling the operating system. The operating system installed on the PC when purchased and the product key located on the Microsoft sticker must be used.

ITTechQ&A :

To correct the problem with the wireless we will need to try and reinstall the driver for the wireless adapter. I can provide the instructions.

Customer:

how would i get that ive had this laptop for 3 years and this has happen a few weeks ago then it startworking again now itd=s just not cooperating is there anything i can do it the computer to set the it to connect are i just have to go that route

Customer:

what is a wireless adapter im slow when it comes to computers but im game to try

ITTechQ&A :

Click on the windows logo start button in the search box type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

The device manager will appear, expand network adapters. Right click on the wireless adapter and select uninstall.

At the top of device manager is the computer name right click and scan for new hardware changes.

ITTechQ&A :

When it's done installing, connect to the wireless network. If it's password XXXXX you will need to enter password XXXXX connect.

Customer:

im not sure im doing it right,i got device manager up i click on network adapter it did a scan and stopped

ITTechQ&A :

Once you have device manager up click on the + sign on the left to expand.

ITTechQ&A :

You should now see 2 items listed.

ITTechQ&A :

Right click on the wireless one and select uninstall.

ITTechQ&A :

how are you making out?

Customer:

threr is no plus sign to the right what i c is up top device manager next row says file action view help then next row has 2 arrow each pointing right to left a box with a triangle pointing to the left a box with a letter in it a question mark a box with a triagle pointing to the right a lookks like a tv after the it says ownwer pc,batteries,computer,disk drivers,display adapters,dvd/cd-rom drivers,ide ata/atapi controllers,imaging devices, hp webcam,photosmart d11o series,kayboard,memory technology driver,mice and other pointing devices,moderns,moniors,network adapter,processor,sound video game controllers,storage controllers,system devices, and universal serial bus controller

ITTechQ&A :

sorry to the left of adapters click on the arrow.

Customer:

i dont c my reply did you get it

ITTechQ&A :

yes scroll down

Customer:

scroll down to what

ITTechQ&A :

you said you couldn't see your reply.

ITTechQ&A :

you had to scroll down on the chat.

ITTechQ&A :

Did you get my response?

Customer:

no

Customer:

ok i c it now

Customer:

i clicked on display apater and a drop box of more stuff came down

ITTechQ&A :

not on display adapters.

You don't have network adapters on the list?

Customer:

yes im clicking it now

ITTechQ&A :

Great, do you see wireless adapter under network adapters?

Customer:

what popped up now says intel (r) wifi and realtek

ITTechQ&A :

OK, right click on the WiFi one and select uninstall.

Customer:

i did and update driver software came up,disable,uninstall,scan for hardware changes, and properties

Customer:

what do i click

ITTechQ&A :

You have uninstalled already?

Customer:

yes and what came up is a warnoing saying you are aboutto uninstall the device from this system, next is a box to click in that says delete the driver software from this device and the bottom says ok and cancel what do i do now

ITTechQ&A :

Yes

Customer:

so i click delete driver software from this device and ok

ITTechQ&A :

Yes

ITTechQ&A :

Once your done, at the top of the device manager list is the computer name.

Right click on it and select scan for new hardware changes.

Customer:

its uninstalling now

Customer:

it click back to the section i typed about earlir with owner pc and there is no wifi the red x is down there where you connect to the internet now

ITTechQ&A :

after the uninstall follow the instructions I just listed.

ITTechQ&A :

To reinstall.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

no its not there anymore just realtek is there the one that was under wifi

ITTechQ&A :

Did you do what I listed to do?

ITTechQ&A :

scan for new hardware changes?

Customer:

i just scanned for hardware changes and its saying windows was unable to install your network controller

ITTechQ&A :

What is the make and model number of the PC?

ITTechQ&A :

Are you chatting from the PC?

Customer:

how do i find that no im using my sons computer and working on mine

ITTechQ&A :

Is it a desktop or laptop?

Customer:

it has written on it hp pavilion dv7,altec lansing its a laptop

Customer:

pavilion dv7-1157cl is on the back

ITTechQ&A :

You using vista correct?

Customer:

yes

ITTechQ&A :

Click on the windows start button, then right click "computer" and select properties from the list.

A system properties box will appear, towards the bottom it will state bit version 32 or 64. Which one are you using?

Customer:

im lost where do i find that

ITTechQ&A :

click on the windows start button, then right click "computer" and select properties from the list.

Customer:

64

ITTechQ&A :

are you able to plug the laptop to the router with a network cable for internet access.

We will need to download the driver for the laptop.

Customer:

im going to check now

Customer:

i plugged a ethernet cord up to it

ITTechQ&A :

great,

open the browser and type the following site:

ITTechQ&A :

http://tinyurl.com/76dnuns

ITTechQ&A :

when you reach the site go down to Driver-Network and expand.

Download the first one on the list Intel Pro Wireless.

Customer:

its saying unable to search page

ITTechQ&A :

does the PC have internet access?

Customer:

no

ITTechQ&A :

Ok you will then need to download the driver on the PC you are using and move to the PC with a flash drive.

Customer:

i have a flash drive

ITTechQ&A :

OK download the file to the flash drive.

Customer:

what file do i download

ITTechQ&A :

Customer:

so try the steps over that you told me to type in the browes and download ti

ITTechQ&A :

Click here>>>HP Download

Customer:

do i put the flash drive in this computer and download it then put it in my computer

ITTechQ&A :

Yes connect the flash drive, then you can download the file directly to the drive.

ITTechQ&A :

When it's done plug the drive to the laptop open the flash drive and double click the file to start install.

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

I will be right back going to step away from my PC for about 2 or 3mins

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

how are you making out?

Customer:

i did a down load to the flash drive and i placed it in my computer now how do i open it its saying no videos are pictures found

ITTechQ&A :

Click on open folder.

ITTechQ&A :

double click on the file which you downloaded to start install.

Customer:

where do i find that

ITTechQ&A :

Click on the windows logo start button, click on computer the drive will be listed open it.

Customer:

ok i found it and installing it a pop up just came that says installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and that you can access it or contact the applicationvendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package

ITTechQ&A :

click continue/

Customer:

i clicked ok and it when back to the file in the flashdrive

ITTechQ&A :

can you check device manager to see if the wifi is now under network adapters?

Customer:

i tried it again and the same thing popped up

Customer:

ok i will check that

Customer:

i tried that and its not there anymore at the bottom of the computer it says found new hardware i clicked that and it says windows was unable to install your network controller

ITTechQ&A :

OK, there seems to be a issue with the adapter on the laptop.

ITTechQ&A :

That could be do to the copy of windows is not being genuine

Customer:

ok so do you think i permanately deleted the wifi when i was uninstalling it

Customer:

are you back you think i should give up and take it to the shop

Customer:

and i will give you a bonus for all your time

Sorry I could not reply in the chat session.

No you have not permanately deleted the wireless adpater. You only deleted the driver which is the software that makes the adapter function.

This is usually the problem with the device. However it's not reinstalling. that could be a issue with the copy of windows not being geniune.

I recommend taking the laptop back to the place which installed the new drive and having them re install your operating system.
Sorry I could reply in the chat session please look at my lsst reply:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My expert was very patient and helpful!

Thank you for your patients!

thank you.