Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

In Windows WP, trying to enter password XXXXX wifi protected setup

Customer Question
wizard. It will accept numbers...
In Windows WP, trying to enter password XXXXX wifi protected setup wizard. It will accept numbers only, not letters. Password XXXXX letters, so I`m locked
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
2/22/2012
Network Technician: Ed, PC Technician replied 5 years ago
Ed
Ed, PC Technician

Ed :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply with you name when you have entered the chat and are ready.

Customer:

Hi Blair here.

Ed :

Hi Blair

Ed :

Sounds like you are trying to enter w WPA key into a WPS prompt. Try skipping WPS and just manually entering the password.

Customer:

okay, the proset wireless comes up asking for the pass. How do I bypass this for manual input?

Ed :

do yo have anything else connected wireless?

Customer:

yes, the desktop I'm typing on now. Connection trouble is with a laptop.

Ed :

what version of windows on the desktop?

Customer:

vista

Ed :

click the network icon at the bottom right corner of screen then hover mouse over your network and tell me the security type

Ed :

on the desktop

Customer:

sorry, screen locked up and I restarted. icon info is "access local and internet"

Ed :

do you see the name of your wireless network there

Customer:

NETGEAR68 ??

Ed :

do you have a netgear router?

Customer:

yes

Ed :

then hover the mouse over the netgear68 and tell me the security type

Customer:

sorry that gives nothing. Another way to determine sec type?

Ed :

are you sure this desktop is connected wireless?

Customer:

yes.

Ed :

then it has to show the security type there

Customer:

just found buried in menus: wpa personal. encryption AES

Ed :

in what menus

Customer:

wireless network connection status

Ed :

AES is not the correct setting for WPA. We would need to change it. Is anything else besides desktop connected wireless? Do you have anything wired?

Customer:

yes. another desktop

Customer:

this desktop and an ipad work fine on current setting

Ed :

most likely the old XP won't work with AES so you would have to change it from a wired conneced device. Wireless won't work because you would lose connection to me.

Customer:

okay, could you give me the steps to follow offline?

Ed :

you have to login to the router by clicking on the below link and then using admin for user and password XXXXX password. We can try the next few steps up until you actually change the settings in the router and save them.

Ed :

right click that link and click open in new window

Customer:

okay got it. You meant "password" In now

Ed :

clisk wireless security on left

Customer:

okay, ready to make choice

Ed :

does it give you the encryption type of WEP, WPA, WPA2 and AES or TKIP. You want WPA personal TKIP. Then re enter the password. On the computer you will need to click on the netgear and then click connect and re enter the password. On the ipad you will need to press the name of the netgear, press forget this network, then try to reconnect.

Customer:

options are:

Customer:

None
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
Ed :

what is it set to currently as what you stated previously doesn't seem an option?

Customer:

currently its WPA2-PSK [AES]

Ed :

you only said WPA before not WPA2. Was that a mistake? Otherwise we may have other issues.

Customer:

sorry. its wpa2 personal encryption AES, for the desktop.

Ed :

WPA2 is too strict for most XP computers and even alot of other stuff.

Ed :

grab the ipad

Ed :

lets clear it off that first so you have some way to access the internet when we change it

Customer:

okay got it

Ed :

goto justanswer.com, login, and see if you get the My Questions link in the orange bar so you can get to me

Ed :

on the ipad

Customer: Okay, I'm on ipad
Ed :

and you can see this question

Customer: Okay, I'm on iPad
Ed :

ok. bookmark this justanswer page on ipad

Customer: Okay
Customer: Okay
Ed :

then on ipad press home button, settings, wifi

Ed :

press the little blue arrow to the right of the netgear68 name

Ed :

now get back on the desktop so you can type to me again

Ed :

then press Forget this network on ipad

Ed :

then press the back arrow Wi-Fi Networks on ipad

Ed :

leave ipad on that screen

Customer: Okay
Ed :

let me know when all of that is done

Customer:

done

Ed :

in the router setup, set it to WPA-PSK [TKIP], and enter your password XXXXX then click save. Give it a minute then try to connect from the ipad by pressing the netgear name

Customer:

so it looks like I'll have a reduced data speed?

Ed :

no, either router speed is much faster than the modem

Customer: Okay

Back on iPad now
Customer: Okay

Back on iPad now
Ed :

try to reconnect from desktops

Customer: Okay

Back on iPad now
Ed :

then try the XP one

Customer: Okay

Back on iPad now
Ed :

ok try desktops

Customer: Still cannot enter letters, only numbers
Customer: Still cannot enter letters, only numbers
Ed :

you need to exit out of WPS setup. You are not using WPS

Customer: Still cannot enter letters, only numbers
Use windows to manage wifi?
Customer: Still cannot enter letters, only numbers
Use windows to manage wifi?
Ed :

exit out of WPS you are not using WPS

Customer: Okay, laptop is connected
Ed :

you want to run the site survery, choose the netgear, then click connect and enter your passord. Avoid anything that says WPS

Ed :

OK. How about desktops

Customer: Desktop, no. Says settings do not match network requirement
Ed :

are both desktops Vista

Customer: Unfortunately, yes
Ed :

in Vista click start, network, network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, highlight the netgear and click remove button

Customer: Done
Ed :

then close those boxes and try to reconnect from network icon in bottom right of screen

Customer:

okay, all are connected now :)

Ed :

Great. Please click accept and have a good day.

Customer:

Many thanks

Ed
Ed, PC Technician
Ed
Ed
Ed, PC Technician