Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Hi, Im trying to connect to my works Outlook email account,

Hi, I'm trying to connect to...

I'm trying to connect to my work's Outlook email account, which I do every day on my MacBook Air. Suddenly, I am unable to do so because I get the following notices that pop up when I try to connect:

This client requires a certificate to validate your identity.n Select the certificate to use when you connect to this website and then click to continue.

I then see two certificates: one is listed as a (Mobile Me Sharing Certificate) (Apple.Mac Certificate Authority), and the other is listed as a (MacSharing Certificate) (Certificate Authority.)

When I click on either of the certificates, I am given a bunch of info that says they are expired, one in 2009, and one in Nov. of 2011.

I've never had this happen before, and I can't log on or move forward because of this. Any ideas how to remedy this situation?

Thanks.
1/28/2012
Omer
Omer, Network Administrator

Omer :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer :

When you say your trying to connect to your works outlook email account are you doing this through a webpage?

Omer :

Have you tried with any other browser?

Customer:

Yes. I am a teacher, and I am going through my school's webpage. I can still connect through my phone and iPad going through the website.

Customer:

I have not tried going through another browser. Let me try that and I'll be right back.

Omer :

Thanks

Omer :

And please let me know which browser you are using and having the issue with IE Chrome Safari IE Firefox

Customer:

I am currently going through Safari IE. This is what I have used every day until now.

Omer :

If you can in Safari click on the top where it says safari in the menu bar and then click about safari so you can tell me the version of it you are using that will be great

The issue you are having is that your safari is not accepting the SSL certificate your email site is using so we will have to change some settings or reset something depending on the version

Customer:

I am using Version 5.1.1 (7534.51.22)

Omer :

Thanks for that have you tried accessing the site with Firefox or chrome?

Customer:

No. Should I?

Omer :

Yes please do that way we can correctly assume its just an issue with your safari and not a setting in your computer

Customer:

I just downloaded Firefox. Let me try that.

Omer :

ok sounds good

Customer:

Okay. I can log on through Firefox, but I hate Firefox. Any idea how I can fix it so I can still log on through Safari, or am I stuck with Firefox?

Omer :

When you get a chance can you also tell me what version of MAC OSX your machine is running
To find it click on the apple in the top left then click about this mac

Omer :

Ok good to know we have it narrowed down to a safari issue

Customer:

I'm using version 10.7.2.

Omer :

Perfect thanks give me just a second

Omer :

Out of curiosity did you go from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2?

Customer:

Not that I know of, and not intentionally.

Omer :

The reason I ask is there is a pretty known bug in 10.7.2 at least it has happened to a lot of people.

Customer:

Okay.

Omer :

Most people are reporting that it happens when they go from 10.7.1 - 10.7.2
Where the update breaks ssl from working in safari

Omer :

there is a temporary fix but you have to basically do it every time you reboot / wake up the computer

Customer:

A friend gave me this Mac about 3 months ago. He took his personal stuff off of it, but I don't know if he made a change I'm unaware of.

Omer :

Or some people have done is wipe the computer and reload 10.7 and go straight to 10.7.2

Omer :

it would load with an apple update

Customer:

How do I do that?

Omer :

the temporary fix would be to

Delete ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain and /Library/Keychains/System.keychain.

This temporarily resolves the issue, and lets you load secure sites, but a minute or two after rebooting or hibernating somehow magically undoes the fix, so you have to delete these files over and over.

Customer:

Yuck.

Omer :

yeah

Customer:

So, should I try to wipe it clean and start over? And if so, what risks does that entail?

Customer:

In other words, what would I lose in the process? Any thing I should back up before trying that?

Omer :

That would be up to you, you would need to back up all your data

Omer :

and programs

Omer :

it essentially wipes the computer clean

Omer :

down to just the os

Customer:

Oh. Is there no way to update Safari on its own and see if that can fix the problem somehow?

Omer :

you can go to that link

Omer :

but Im pretty sure 10.7.2 has the latest version built in to it

Omer :

the ssl break from my understanding goes deeper than safari
Do you use time machine to back up your computer?

Customer:

I may try that and see if it works. I think so. Should I try and do that before I move on?

Customer:

That last point was in reference to time machine.

Omer :

Yes please give it a go

Omer :

one second

Omer :

you would need a backup before 10.7.2 installed

Omer :

to when everything was working

Omer :

give me just a moment im looking through some of my notes on 10.7.2 and any possible hotfixes that may help yo

Omer :

you

Customer:

I've actually never used the time machine feature since I've owned this. Should I start it now? It may take a few minutes...

Omer :

No not at this point

Customer:

Okay

Omer :

OK so some people have been using a work around and there are to possible ones

One is to go into Keychain access
Keychain Access and run the repair. Then turn off the CRL and OSCP checking and then exited Keychain.
Now the down side is now that it wont check for certificates but its a work around some people dont mind.

Another was to make sure the firewall on their network allowed pass throughs to the CRL and OSCP servers of the certificates so it could verify because without being able to verify keychain in 10.7.2 will just hang and not connect

Customer:

Let me try the Keychain access. I've never heard of that until this popped up last night. Maybe that's the issue?

Customer:

How do I get to Keychain?

Omer :

you should be able to type in keychain.app and finder should bring it up for you

Customer:

where should I type that in?

Customer:

I found the keychain access. How do I run the repair?

Customer:

This is where the expired sharing certificates live. Any chance you know how I can renew them?

Omer :

Sorry for the delay

Omer :

trying to see if I can find a video to show you exactly how to run it

Omer :

you can see your certs there but you cannot update them you can delete ones that are there though

Customer:

Okay. I'm in Keychain Access. This is apparently where the expired certificates that seem to be causing the problem live. Any chance you know how I can renew them?

Customer:

hello?

Omer :

Hi

Omer :

you cannot renew a cert here

Omer :

they get downloaded from websites you visit

Customer:

Hello?

Omer :

Yes please give me one second

Omer :

Can you not see my responses?

Customer:

Hi. We got disconnected for a minute.

Customer:

I found keychain access.

Omer :

AH ok great

Customer:

The expired sharing certificates live there. Any way I can renew them through this point somehow?

Customer:

Sorry about that!

Omer :

you cannot renew them their but you can delete them out

Customer:

Should I try that?

Omer :

Yes

Customer:

Bingo!!!! I deleted them, and now I can log on through Safari again!

Omer :

Ok perfect

Omer :

Glad I could help

Customer:

Thank you! You were very helpful and patient. Have a great Saturday.

Omer :

You too and enjoy the weekend

Omer :

please click the accept answer button so we may close this question

Omer
Omer, Network Administrator
Omer
Omer
Omer, Network Administrator