Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Just purchased the Kindle Fire and Im trying to access the

Customer Question
Just purchased the Kindle Fire...
Just purchased the Kindle Fire and I'm trying to access the WiFi connect with my Linksys E2000 it is requesting a password XXXXX I have forgotten.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
1/22/2012
Network Technician: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer replied 5 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer

Claws224 :

To get your password XXXXX you go to a computer that can get online through the router then can you open an Internet Browser Window and type http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX if you cannot get in can you try admin for the username and admin for the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and your password XXXXX be listed so you can write it down and tape it to the bottom of the router in case you need it in the future.

Try that and let us know if you have any issues or if you cannot complete the instructions so we can try something else or clarify for you.

Thanks

Customer:

Does not work giving me 401 Unauthorized tab with the message Authorization required.

Claws224 :

Ok,

Can you tell me what type of internet modem you have connected to the router and are you using a computer that is wired to the router or is your machine connected wirelessly?

Customer:

My router is connected to a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem my computer is connected wirelessly. I get my intermet through Time Warner.

Claws224 :

Ok,

can you click this link http://192.168.1.1 and then try entering the username admin ( all lower case) and then the same thing for the password XXXXX let me know if it will let you in or not

Claws224 :

If not do you have an ethernet cable you can use to connect your machine to the router temporarily so we can try something else

Customer:

I tried and got the same results. I have an ethernet cable and I have connected to the router.

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Can you locate the reset button on the back of your router and with it plugged in can you press and hold the reset button down for 30 seconds then let go and wait 2 minutes for the router to reset then unplug the power from the router and the modem then shut down your pc.

Once it is all off can you connect your pc to the port 1 port of the router then wait a full 30 seconds and power up the modem then wait 30 seconds and power up the router then wait yet another 30 seconds and power up your PC.

Once your machine comes up can you see if you can get online and let me know so we can re-setup your wireless connections.

Customer:

Ok I will let you know when everything requested has been completed.

Claws224 :

Ok,

if you get disconnected just click the link you will have been emailed and it will bring you straight back here

Customer:

Done everything requested. Upon bringing up the browser it gave me the Cisco wizard to install with the CD which I finally found. Do I need this?

Claws224 :

No,

we can do it all manually which will allow you to set it up the way you want

Customer:

Ok what's next.

Claws224 :

can you go to a computer that can get online through the router then can you open an Internet Browser Window and type http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then tell me if you see an option labeled Manual?

Customer:

Configuration View: Manual or Wi-Fi Protected Setup

Claws224 :

Great,

can you select manual and then the page will change.

Customer:

Done

Claws224 :

When it does can you then enter a unique Network Name (SSID) then save your changes by clicking Apply at the bottom of the page.

Once that is saved can you then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and then choose the type of security you wish to use and select WPA2 personal then enter your choice of password XXXXX the preshared key box (if in doubt just use your 10 digit phone number with area code) then save your changes.

Once all that is done can you then wait about 2 minutes and see if you can connect your wireless machines using the password XXXXX just set and see if you can get online.

Customer:

Do I change the Network Name from Cisco 46423 to SSID?

Claws224 :

Sure,

I would change it to something unique to you such as My network or something unusual, Personally my network's SSID is FRED!

then again everything in my home that my kids name is XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

As you probably guess by now I'm not an computer whiz, thanks for all your help. I'm able to connect my Kindle. Will I have any issue with my computer once I remove the cable?

Claws224 :

No you should be good to go, just disconnect the PC and then click start then control panel and open Network and Internet.

When it opens can you click Connect to a Network under the Network and Sharing Center option then when the network listing opens can you then look under the Wireless Network Section and select the name of the network you setup then hit connect and follow the prompts to connect.

Customer:

Thank you!

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer