Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have re booted my hp laptop (ZE5200) with the operating disks…

Customer Question
I have re booted my...
I have re booted my hp laptop (ZE5200) with the operating disks I recieved with the computer. I am now trying to get access to the internet using a Westell 7500 modem. The modem is operating and the Wireless light is showing. Centrylink tells me the motem is active
The computer isn't recignizing the signal. I also conected the computer to the modem with an intranet cable. All I get is a failure window stating it cannot make the conection?
1. What should the internet options be set at?
2. How can I get the wireless modem to connect.
3. Will this allow me to use WiFi again?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2012
Network Technician: Charles A. Roberts, PC Technician replied 6 years ago
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Technician

Computer geek :

Thank you for choosing justanswers.com I will be more than happy to assist you today. What version of windows are you using?

Customer:

XP

Computer geek :

Ok first I want to see what you have as far as networking devices. Can you click on start then control panel and then click on classic view on the left had side if it's not there don't worry about it. Then locate and click on system and click on the hard ware tab tand then click on device manager.

Computer geek :

Let me know when you are there.

Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Technician
Please let me know when you are in device manager.
I've followed your instr. I'm two tab's. Driver Signing / Device Manager ---
Ok you need to go to device manager and then tell me if there are any yellow explaination marks in there. Also down where it says network adapters is where you need to be looking
I don't see any. Where on the screen?

I don't see any. Where on the screen?

No yellow exp marks.

I find four sub.s under Netwok adpt.

1. 1394 Net adapter Red X

2. Lan-Express IEEE

3. Mac Bridge Miniport Red X

4. National Semiconductor

Ok let's do it this way close out of everything and go back into control panel and locate network connections and double click on and tell me what is in there.

Broadband conection Disconected Wan Miniport

Network Bridge Disabled

Local Area connection Cable unpluged??

1394 connection Disabled Bridged

Wireless conection Unavailable

Virtual Private Network Disconected

Portable Disconected

Ok now I need to know if you are connecting directly to the modem via ethernet cable meaning is the over sized looking phone plug connected to the back of the computer?
Yes
OK also on the modem did you also by chance connect the USB plug to the computer as well if you did remove it.
No USB plug to connect / Just the entra cable.
Ok I need you to right click on local area connection and choose disable the same goes with wireless connection. Enable 1394 also virtual private network do you use that if you don't right click on it and choose delete.
Done

Ok does Broadband conection Wan Miniport Give the options to delete if so do that.

Network Bridge Disabled Delete that if you can,

Portable Disconected deleted that if you can as well and let me know.

Once you are done deleteing those Right click on local area connection and choose enable.

I dbled on Local area conection but I don't see anything to enable? There is a creat new conetion

set up Home--

Diable this network--

Rename--

And change settings?

Ok right click on local area connection and choose enable if there are other options there tell me what they are.

The local area connection has disappeared. 1394-- LAN express-- National Semi condutor are all listed under Network Adtors

I reopened Network Connections,

Local Area Connection

1394- enabled

Wireless

Ok does local area connection still say disabled?
Network cable unpluged. I checked the cable. I switched its position in the modem. and re - pluged it into the computer. Still no change?
Ok then there are two options that are causing this issue. Either the modem if not functioning correctly and the either net port is bad on it or you have a bad network card on the computer. If you check on the back of the computer where it is plugged in are there any flashing green or XXXXX XXXXXghts on it?

Solid green light

Anber light is flashing

That means your computer is responding see if you can get online if not your modem is what is malfunctioning replace that and it will work again. That gave me the answer right there.
The modem is the same one we are on right now? Are you refering to a modem inside the computer?
Ok may I ask are you using a router with this modem?

No. Internet provider is Centurynet.

The modem is conected to the in port.

Century told me it was funtoning when I called them prior to our start.

So basically you have the computer connected directly to the modem and the computer is not excepting the connection from modem to computer. There are two things that could be done but I would advise taking it in to have your network card teset now if you don't want to the other option to try first before the worst is completly reinstalling windows to set your network and all hardware back to like new again but if that where to fail then the network card would need to be replaced or repaired.
Thank you
Do you have any other questions for me today?
No and thank you for being so patient.
No problem happy to be here and be here for you as well plese try and have a good evening.
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Technician