Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I cannot connect my Kindle Fire to my Linksys WAP54G access

Customer Question
point on my local wireless...
I cannot connect my Kindle Fire to my Linksys WAP54G access point on my local wireless network. I get the error message "Error in connection. Unable to connect to selected access point. Please check the password XXXXX have provided." The password XXXXX XXXXX and is the same one I use to connect with my laptop to the same access point. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
1/3/2012
Network Technician: Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator replied 6 years ago
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Hello!
I will assist you,
Be sure you are entering the correct password, it is the password XXXXX use to connect to internet through router.
What type router do you have?
Is your windows vista connected wirelessly to internet through router?
I connect to the Internet, when using my laptop in the family room, through a Linksys WAP54G access point, which is in turn connected by cable to a Netgear WGR614 v4 router. The laptop connects to the Internet just fine.

I am convinced that I did enter the correct password, but if I am wrong, how can I find out what the right password XXXXX?

If you have an XP/Vista computer that is already connected wirelessly to the wireless network, download the WirelessKeyView application. CLICK HERE

Download and save the zip file to your Desktop location.

Once downloaded, please disable any antivirus, then go to your Desktop, right click and extract the zip to folder. Go into that folder.

Now double click the WirelessKeyView (the second one, without the ? mark in the icon)

The first field Network Name is the SSID. The Key field is the security key.

Remember to Enable your virus protection after you have completed these steps and recovered your password.

I downloaded the wirelesskeyview software, deactivated my Norton antivirus software, unzipped the file and double-clicked on the .exe file. A window labelled WirelessKeyView came up, and had column headings like "Network Name" and "Key Type" but there were no entries below these column headings. What was I supposed to see?
This will show you your password XXXXX you are connected wirelessly to router.
Is the computer you are connecting on windows xp or vista?
The laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium.
Here is how to find your password:

If you have a Windows 7 computer that is already wirelessly connected ,

the password XXXXX XXXXX that computer, just take these steps:

Try this on the wirelessly connected Windows 7 computer:

Click the Windows Start button >

Type sharing in the search box>

Then press Enter on the keyboard>

Click Manage Wireless Networks on the TOP LEFT OF YOUR SCREEN >

Right click your wireless network shown there in the list, then select Properties >

Click the Security Tab>

Click the Show Characters Box and this will show your network password.

Connecting with Wi-Fi

To connect to Wi-Fi follow these simple steps:

1. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.
  2. Select Wi-Fi.
  3. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.

A list of networks will appear. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. If your network doesn't appear tap the box next to Wireless Networking off and on to refresh the list.

1. Tap the name of the network you wish to connect to from the list of available networks.

Tip:
    When viewing Kindle Fire in landscape view, you may need to scroll through the list of available networks, using your finger to swipe through the list.

2. If a lock symbol appears next to your network, it requires a password. Enter the characters of the password XXXXX the onscreen keyboard.
  3. Tap Connect.

Tip: Tap the 123!? key to enter numbers or symbols. Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard. Tap the Shift key (up arrow) for uppercase letters.

Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, Kindle Fire automatically connects to it again whenever that network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the network that was most recently used.

So when the Kindle Fire device asks for a password, it really wants the network security key? These are 2 different things in my network.
yes.
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Ohhhhh. That did it. If only computer geeks would learn to write English. Thanks for the help.
Your satisfaction is my GREATEST CONCERN, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please click on ANSWER ACCEPT. Clicking on Accept does not cost you anything extra and will ensure that I get Paid for my time. If you are a subscription or trial member you must still click "Accept" so that I get paid. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Thank You!
If I can be of further assistance,
PLEASE let me know!
POSITIVE FEEDBACK Appreciated!!
PLEASE click on Answer Accepted button! Clicking ACCEPT does not cost you anything extra .Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get paid for my work. If you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave negative feedback, I will opt out and let another expert answer your question. If you are not satisfied and have already paid, I will issue refund! Your satisfaction is my GREATEST CONCERN, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator