Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Netgear router: How to find network security key?

Customer Question
How do I find my...
How do I find my network security key for my Netgear router? I'm trying to connect a new laptop computer to it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
12/16/2011
Network Technician: Bernie, Network Technician replied 6 years ago
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician

Hello, and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer.

By any chance do you have a Windows 7 computer that is already wirelessly connected to the network (not hardwired to the router or modem)?

What is the model of your Netgear wireless router?

Thanks

My other laptop computer is Windows XP.

Model: WGR614v7

Thanks, ***** ***** Windows 7 computer you're on right now:

1. Directly connected to the router (hardwired)

or

2. Already wirelessly connected to the router?

If you're talking about my home computer, it is hard-wired to the router.

I'm trying to connect my new laptop with a wireless connection.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** steps

First, make sure you take these steps on a the hardwired computer that is already connected to the internet (not the laptop):

Open a new web browser window, erase anything in the address bar at the top, then type: http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1

Press ENTER on the keyboard > A login prompt should pop up, to login use admin as the username, and password or 1234 as the password

Once in, click Wireless Settings > On that page look for a key #1, passphrase, or preshared key box, it will show your wireless network password

Let me know if that clears it up, if not, we will try some other steps

That's the same thing it said to do from the bottom of the router.

However, when I go there and type in the username and password ***** times unsuccessfully, it says "401 user unauthorized". In other words, it does not recognize

those passwords.

Ok, this means the administrator password ***** been changed, what we must do, is reset the router, and create a new network password *****

While it is powered on, press the reset hole on the back of your router with a paper clip or pin for 30 full seconds, then release > Wait 2 minutes, then try this:

Once in, click Wireless Settings > In the SSID box type a name for your network > Pick WPA or WPA2 for the security type

In the passphrase box make a password, at least 10 characters > Save or apply your settings. Wait 2 minutes then try to connect to this new network from your laptop.
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician

Ok, that worked.

A setup wizard popped up and walked me through the setup, once I reset the password ***** the back of the router like you said.

Thanks.

You're very welcome, enjoy!
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician