Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How to connect WN2000RPT (Netgear Signal Extender) with SMC

Customer Question
D3GNV? I got it...
How to connect WN2000RPT (Netgear Signal Extender) with SMC D3GNV? I got it all connected, but cannot access Internet, it's only access networking.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2011
Network Technician: Rojus Alappat, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 years ago
Rojus Alappat
Rojus Alappat, Computer Hardware Engineer

Rojus Alappat :

Hi... Welcome to Just Answer Support...
I am Rojus... Hope I can assist you to solve this issue...

Rojus Alappat :

May I know how did you configure it ?

Customer:

I use Netgear WN2000 RPT auto configuration....so I can actually use my laptop which connected to my extender and type in 10.0.0.1 to access my SMC wireless gateway..so I know it's connected, but I cannot access internet from my laptop unless I connected directly to SMC

Rojus Alappat
Is there any error message comes when you trying to access internet ?
IE just said Check Connection...it also happens on my iPhone..if I connect my iPhone to SMC wireless directly, I can browse website, but if I connect it to my Netgear signal extender, it will show that I am connected to its Wifi, but I cannot actually surf the web at all. I did an extensive search on Comcast Forum, and the conclusion is that Comcast might have set the limit on signal extension..I have to request it to enable bridge, which I have to buy another wireless router. I am trying to see any expert can help me with it before I go to that route.
May I know which version of windows are you using ?
Windows XP Service Pack 3

Connect the Range Extender to an Existing Network
You can use this menu selection to wirelessly connect the range extender to your home network.
1. From the range extender menu at http://www.mywifiext.net, under the Setup heading, select Connect to an Existing Network. The range extender scans for wireless networks, and displays a list.

If your wireless network is not on the list, and it is up and running, see Positioning Your Range Extender on page 6 for suggestions.
2. Click the radio button to select your network from the list and click Continue. The next screen displays:
3. Enter your network’s passphrase or key and click Continue.
The range extender joins your wireless network.

Can you please check and confirm that you have configured it as mentioned above only ? So that I can confirm that you have configured it properly...
Yes, I have followed what you described exactly, and I did see my wireless network and it is up and running. I can even see the ip address, if I type in ipconfig, it will answer, but if I ping www.google.com, it will not...
Just check the following steps too...

And kindly let me know please...
Please inform...thank you.

Use WPS to Add a PC to the Range Extender’s Wireless Network
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) lets you connect a computer or wireless device to the range extender’s network without entering the wireless network passphrase or key. Instead, you use a WPS button or enter a PIN to connect. WPS supports WPA and WPA2 wireless security. If your range extender network is open (no wireless security is set), then connecting with WPS automatically sets WPA2 + WPA wireless security on the range extender network.
Note: You cannot use the Push 'N' Connect WPS button to connect the range extender to your wireless network. The WPS button on the range extender can be used only to connect a computer to the range extender.
The Universal WiFi Extender WN2000RPT Installation Guide explains how to use WPS during installation.
To join the extender’s network using WPS after installation:
1. From the range extender menu at http://www.mywifiext.net, under the Setup heading, select Add WPS Client. The following screen displays:

Select a radio button.
• Push Button (recommended). Either click the button or press the WPS button on the front of the range extender.
• PIN Number. Select the radio button, and a PIN displays.
The range extender tries to find the wireless client (the computer) that is attempting to join the network. If you are using a WPS button, it tries for 2 minutes. If you are using a PIN, it tries for 4 minutes.
3. Go to your wireless computer. Use its WPS software to try to connect to the range extender.
The first time you add a WPS client, WPS automatically sets the range extender’s wireless security to WPA2 + WPA with a random passphrase. You can view these settings in the Wireless Settings screen, described in the following section.

Range Extender Wireless Settings
You can use the Wireless Settings screen to change the network name (SSID) for the range extender’s network and to set up wireless security. If you do not change these settings, the network name is NETGEAR_EXT, and the network is open (no wireless security is set up).
Note: If you use a wireless computer to change the extender’s wireless settings, you will be disconnected when you click Apply. To reconnect, you must select the new network name that you created, and enter the passphrase or wireless security key that you set up.
To change the wireless settings for the extender’s network:
1. From the range extender menu at http://www.mywifiext.net, under the Setup heading, select Wireless Settings to display the following screen:

In the Name (SSID) field, you can type in a new name to customize your extender network. This will make it easier to identify your extender if more than one is operating in your neighborhood.
3. In the Security Options section of the screen, select the type of wireless security that you want to use on your network.
• None. This is an open wireless network. Any wireless computer or device is allowed to join this network.
• WEP. WEP is an older standard, and is less secure than WPA or WPA2. WEP uses encryption keys and data encryption for data security. You can select 64-bit or 128-bit encryption.

• WPA-PSK [TKIP]. WPA is more secure than WEP. When using wireless computers or devices that support WPA, you can enter a passphrase to join the extender’s wireless network.
• WPA2-PSK [AES]. WPA2 is even more secure, but some older computers do not support this standard. When using wireless computers or devices that support WPA2, you can enter the passphrase to join the extender’s wireless network.
• WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PASK [AES]. When using wireless computers or devices that support either WPA or WPA2, you can enter the passphrase to join the extender’s wireless network.
4. Click Apply to save your settings.
5. Use your wireless computer to connect to the extender’s network with its new settings. The Smart Wizard can guide you through this process.

Check these steps too and kindly let me know please...
I did all those steps before I posted this question, so I am fully aware what you are talking about. It is just not working.
Ok... Thanks for going through the steps again...

Go to start>run
Type ncpa.cpl
Then press enter key
and kindly let me know which all network adaptor icons are shown there...

Also is there any red X mark there in any of the adaptors ?

It has Wireless Network Connections....Connected...and no red X mark. I can see DHCP, IP address, Submask, Default gateway..which is 10.0.0.1..matches the SMC Wireless Gateway 10.0.0.1....as I said..it is connected..I just can't get on the internet. I just don't know Comcast has anything to do with it or not, or did I actually configure it wrong.

Kindly check the following too...

Go to start>run
then type cmd
once you got the black command window, just type the following there...

ipconfig /release
then press enter key
Then the Ip will get changed to 0.0.0.0

Once you see the ip(0.0.0.0) there, just type the following command...
ipconfig /renew
then press enter key
Then it will asign a new IP for your system...

Once you got the new ip, just check your connection once again please...

And kindly let me know the status please...
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: hsdl.il.comcast.net
IP Address: 10.0.0.7
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Address: fe00::218:deff:fe09:6b00%5
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Psydo-Interface
Connection-Speficic DNS Suffix: (nothing here)
IP Address: fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6
Default Gateway: (nothing here)
Can you please make the Ip version to 4 and try ?
please let me know how to do that?
Start>run
type ncpa.cpl
Then right click on the wireless adaptor...
Then select properties
And kindly send a screen shot of that window to me so that I can let you know in detail...
can't do a screen shot here...not allow me to paste. I kinda know what are you talking about..so I uninstall the ip6 from the protocal...and restart...connect to SMC..still..can't connect to Internet..it's connect to SMC though
Can you please check it with comcast people too ?
As they might have to reset the connection once you configure the extender...
Rojus Alappat
Rojus Alappat