Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Westell 7500 modem with CenturyLink. How to connect to Linksys router?

Customer Question
I have a Westell 7500...

I have a Westell 7500 modem I am using with CenturyLink. I would like to bridge it into a Linksys router. Can you give me directions on how to do that?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2011
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 6 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Can you tell me the model number of your Linksys please?

It is actually a Cisco/Linksys E1200 router.

One more question - has the E1200 been installed before or is it fresh out of the box?

I have only changed the password so basically it's new.

Plug the Linksys into an outlet - press and hold the reset button on the back for 15 seconds,then release.

Bridge the Westell with these steps:

1. Log in to the Westell VersaLink 7500 gateway by entering http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser's address bar.
    2. When prompted, enter your gateway's user name and password. The default User Name is admin and password ***** password. If the login fails, press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 15 seconds, then release - restart your computer, then log into the modem.
    3. From the main menu, click My Network.
  • Click Network Connections in the left navigation panel.
  1. Click Broadband Connection (DSL).
  2. Under the VC's section, click the Edit icon.
  3. Select Bridge from the Protocol drop-down menu.
  4. Select routed bridge in the Bridge Mode field.
  5. Click OK to confirm you want to reset your modem. The Westell gateway will now reset itself.
  6. Once the modem resets, the main page will display. If the main page doesn't display, click Main.
  7. Click Wireless Settings.
  8. Click Basic Security Settings in the left navigation panel.
  9. Turn off Wireless by selecting Off.
  10. Scroll to the bottom of the window and click Apply.
  11. Click OK when the warning displays that your wireless access will be interrupted.
  12. You will be redirected to the main page. If the main page doesn't display, click Main.
  13. Click My Network.
  14. Click Network Connections.
  15. Click LAN.
  16. Remove the check from the Private LAN DHCP Server Enable box.
  17. Click Apply.
  18. Click OK if a warning displays that enabling private LAN will disable public LAN.
  19. The modem is now in Bridge Mode.

Power off the modem, then connect a cable to the Internet port of the Linksys. Connect one of the numbered ports to your computer.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the Linksys - wait 60 seconds

Power on your computer

Run the Linksys installation cd - the setup will detect your network and ask for the username and password (PPPoE) information to complete the setup.

When I click My Network I get a screen that shows two boxes one of which is labeled Network Devices and has the information on the computer I am using. The second box is listed as Network Summary and lists how many devices are connected and whether they are wired, wireless, or usb. Ther is no mention of a "Broadband Connection"
What is the full model number printed on your Westell?

I did find the VC section under the Advanced menu. I did as you said and switched it to bridge mode. Unfortunately, that seems to turn off the internet access. All of the other lights stay on including the DSL light. And of course there is no internet access.

I think CenturyLink may have created a different menu system than the one you have. It appears that we are looking at different displays. Also you access the modem's web page with 10.0.0.1 rather than the 192.168.1.1 that you might expect.

The full model number is A90-750022-07.

CenturyLink does modify the firmware to make it their own...

When you bridge it, internet access will be gone - that is normal. The reason that happens is the routing capability of the modem is gone - It is enabled at the router when you set it up and enter the username and password.

Would you mind enabling the bridge, then running the router setup this way?

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the Linksys - wait 60 seconds

Power on your computer

Went through the sequence you sent me again. It appears that either it has to be in PPPoE or it won't work in Bridge mode.

In the settings, are you able to change them to match these, then connect the linksys and install?

graphic

Yea, that is what I am seeing when I am switching over to Bridge mode from PPPoE.

Okay - can you save the bridge mode setting, then connect the linksys and run the setup?

The PPPoE settings will be entered into the Linksys during the setup.

Hi again Kevin. Lost the connection with all of the restarts. I went through the process again and again the internet light went out when it set it to bridge mode so I have restarted with the Linksys out of the loop and the Westell again set for PPPoE. Any other thoughts?

The internet light is supposed to go out - that is an indicator that the modem is set properly. That is when the linkys should be connected, then the installation software ran.

Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist