Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a wireless router (N-300) and a laptop connected...no…

Customer Question
I have a wireless router...
I have a wireless router (N-300) and a laptop connected...no problems at all. However, I just got a Nook tablet and can't connect to the wifi network...I can't remember my password (tough to get old)! Can you help me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2011
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 6 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
sandy : Hello My Friend,Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is ***** ***** I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician and will assist you today.
Customer:

Thanks Sandy. I'm pretty frustrated at this point!

How to find the key or password:

Please, follow these steps on the computer(like your desktop computer) which is connected to the router using an ethernet cable. However, if you have only laptop, please connect an extra cable from router to laptop

To find the key on the D-Link router, you will next need to open a web browser and type
http://www.192.168.0.1

You should see the administration screen of the D-link router. type in
admin and leave the password ***** blank.

A setup wizard should appear, prompting you to first change the router’s password. Pick something you can remember or you can simply ignore this and change it later.

Under Wireless, please check your security key and use this key to connect to wireless.

Please click the ACCEPT button as this is how I earn my living and get paid for my time, work and efforts. You will not be anything extra. It is promise. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

This did not work. I went to my desktop and entered http://www.192.168.0.1 and the web browser came back saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". What else can I try?

Please go to the desktop comptuer.
Launch your browser say internet explorer.
Delete everything from the address bar(the box that starts with http generally)
and type 192.168.0.1 and hit enter.

Thanks.
I did as you said but I keep getting many different options which appear to send me to different support sites, but I don't get the login screen you mentioned.
Please tell me about the make of the router? dlink, linksys, netgear or belkin?

If it is a netgear router:

Please follow these steps on the computer which is directly connected with the router using an ethernet cable.
Open an Internet Explorer browser and type the router IP address
192.168.1.1
Hit enter.
Now, type the use name=admin
password=password
Now, click OK.
Select Wireless Settings from the Setup menu in the left-hand navigation bar.
Under Wireless Network, you will see your desired network name in the Name (SSID) box.
Under Security Options, you will find your key.

Netgear N-300 wireless router WNR2000 v2
okay, netgear:

192.168.1.1
Hit enter.
Now, type the use name=admin
password=password
Now, click OK.

View Full Image
SUCCESS!!! Thank you very much for your assistance! Have a great day!
Congruatulations. It is fixed now.

Please click Accept to get me paid. I will not be paid unless you hit Accept.

You will not be charged anything extra. Positive feedback Bonus/tip and will be highly appreciated.

sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer