Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How do I add a new computer to my home system (have Cisco Router),

to share Optonline, etc?...
How do I add a new computer to my home system (have Cisco Router), to share Optonline, etc?
11/29/2011
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Do you have a computer with Windows 7 or Mac OS that can currently connect to your wireless internet? This would help to confirm your wireless network password.

Our current computer (and only one in the "system") runs Windows XP and outlook express.
The router (Cisco Valet) is currently not connected, but has been - our wireless address is Redbear. Our Optimum ids are: cunning0, ckc11965, and vjc11965. We have just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1109msl, which comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. We also use a minilaptop, connecting thru the redbear, but have not used it that way since the computer crash and hurricane-related issues that messed up the system. I will have questions about the old computer later..

The new computer will be in my husbands office, and we wish his email to be routed there.

OK, thank you. Please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "linksys" or "Cisco" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7:

1- Please click Start, then Control Panel

2- Now click "View by: Large icons"

3- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- Click "Connect to a Network"

5- A list of wireless networks will show up. Please select your network ("Linksys" or "Cisco") and then click "Connect"

6- IF you are prompted to enter a network password, enter the word password in lowercase.

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

8- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button

Thank you

John C.
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
hello john,

we have gone thru your instructions (several times) and similiar instructions from Cico for restarting the router, and still cannot get online. at one point recv'd this error message:No socket error11004 , error no 0x800CCC0D. Modem (Arris) looks correct, Cisco valet also has all usual lights on, Tried cisco setup again - it stops at a message telling me my computer does not have wireless capability and to plug in the ethernet cable, which is already plugged in. contacting now via minipc directly cabld to modem. almost ready to go back to pencil and paper....help

Christina

hello john,

Christina

Relist: Other.
happy with John C but he seems to be unavailable right now and we are anxious to solve networking issue. thanks
nimrood
nimrood, IT Consultant
Hi Christina,

The error information you provided seems to be related to Outlook Express, is that true? If you are online by directly connecting to the cable modem with your computer, that's a good sign that the cable modem and the cable service is working.

Has this Cisco device ever been connected to this specific cable modem before? Has the cable modem changed, or the Cisco device been swapped out for a newer but similar device?
Some cable service providers will lock down their devices so that only specific computers and devices can be connected. In my area, if I get a new device as just plug it into my cable modem it will not work. I have to call the cable company and tell them what the new device's MAC address is.

Most routers these days have a feature to "spoof" a MAC address to the cable company. This let's the router pretend to be your computer, so the cable company doesn't block the device. You may need to do one of two things to solve this connectivity problem:

1 - Configure the Cisco router with the MAC address of your computer that is connected to the cable modem and working. You can get the MAC address on Windows with these steps:
a - Start -> Run
b - cmd (and press ENTER)
c - at the prompt, type this command: ipconfig /all | more
d - Find the adapter connected to your network, and copy down the "Physical Address:" number. It looks like this: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX (letter's A-F and numbers).
e - Log into your cisco router with a web browser (Internet Explorer will work fine), go to the Internet Connection settings and enable the option of changing the MAC address. Use the Physical Address number you copied down above.

2 - Option #1 is a pretty involved set of tasks; It may be much easier to simply call your Cable provider and ask them to change it for you. They will need to know the MAC address of your Cisco router, which should be printed on a label on the bottom-side or back-side where all the plugs are. When the cable company has changed the settings, you should be able to plug the Cisco router directly into the cable modem and the computers should then be able to connect to the Internet.
nimrood
nimrood, IT Consultant
his modem and this router have NOT previously worked together. In September we had a meltdown following power issues, and optimum replaced the modem. A few days later we had a hurricane with long power outage - after which nothing at all worked. the hard drive was cleaned up by an expert so we could operate (haltingly) but had to connect directly to modem as we could not get router happy.
your answer came before I sent this - we will call Optimum when we return home. They WERE here to set up modem and certainly laid eyes on the router at that time - but our main issue was telephone service.
We will get back to you -
thanks
Christina
Based on the information you provided about the router and the modem, I believe my answer remains correct. The cable company must configure the modem with the router's MAC address. I went through this very process a couple of months ago when I purchased a new home router.

Your call with Optimum will either resolve your issue, or will confirm that Optimum is not the issue -- and we will need to resume troubleshooting.

Optimum (actually, Cablevision) says that it does not need to do anything with the MAC number, and since the internet is available when the router is taken out of the system, I need to call Cisco, which I will do tomorrow, in greater hopes of getting a person (have spoken with a lot of polite menus today).

I have read your Option 1 instructions and may try that.

Thanks so far, christina

I certainly understand how frustrating it is to get menus instead of people! Was this router damaged possibly during the disasters your family endured? The cable company gave you a typical cable company response, "It's not our problem until you prove it is!" -- customer No-service.

But, they may be right -- if the router is damaged from the disasters, it simply may not be working correctly. Cisco/Linksys routers, when you reset them as the previous Expert instructed, have some default settings.

1 - Make sure you use the same cable you are using with your computer to plug the router into the modem.
2 - Plug the cable modem into the router's port labeled "Internet" or "External"
3 - Plug one of your computers into a free port on the router, and try to open the router's configuration web page with Internet Explorer. One of these default addresses should work:

http://192.168.0.1/
http://192.168.1.1/
http://192.168.100.1/

4 - Cisco/Linksys come with a default login account:
User = admin
Password = password

5 - Find the router's connection status web page, make sure it's getting IP Address information from the cable company. If it is, then the router is connected to the Internet. Try to open your favorite web site while your computer is plugged into the router.

6 - If everything works cabled together, then the next step is to make sure the wireless is working (I believe I saw that did have a wireless network at one point?).

These steps are what Cisco customer support will probably help you accomplish if you get a live support person. Let me know what you find out!

Thank you very much - nice and clear. The cablevision technician was just here to fix phones. He tested router/modem etc and declared that the router was damaged (we began to suspect this) - all the port lights are lighted when only one has a cable plugged in, and it is not resetting. So we just have to buy a new router. I am saving your answers for future trouble shooting!

Christina

I'm sorry you must take on the expenditure of getting a new router, but happy to hear you know the probably cause of your issue now!

I recently purchased the following device when my Cisco died a few months ago:

Netgear WNDR3700 (Also called the N600)

It cost me about $130 and it has all the features a computer geek like me could ever want in a home router. The main attractor for me was I can plug in my 1TB USB storage drive to the router and all the computers on my network can use it for backing up data over the network.

If you just need basic home networking and shared Internet, the N600 is probably overkill. There are cheaper options available.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you!
nimrood
nimrood, IT Consultant
nimrood
nimrood
nimrood, IT Consultant