super_leo2000
super_leo2000, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ years experience in computer support
62714213

My brand new Lenovo laptop wont connect to the internet.

Customer Question

My brand new Lenovo laptop won't connect to the internet. It says that there are no connections available. I got my old laptop out and I can connect with no problems. The Lenovo was connecting this morning but now it is not. What do I need to do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  AaronB replied 5 years ago.

Aaron B :

Hello

Aaron B :

Are you using a wired or wireless connection on your new laptop?

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

wireless

Aaron B :

ok

Aaron B :

Can you double check to make sure your wireless settings on your new laptop match wireless settings on your old laptop. If you haven't already please double check SSID, passphrase, channel, etc. Make sure you are using same encryption method ie. WPA, WPA2, etc.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

My new laptop is not showing anything. It says there are no connections available when I try to set up a new connection even

Aaron B :

ok

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

My old laptop had a wireless button that I would sometimes hit and cause this problem but i am not finding any buttons like that on the new one. I was hoping it was something easy like that lol

Aaron B :

It's possible your wireless radio is disabled. Can you please give me model of your laptop? Sometimes you can accidentally disable wireless with keystrokes on your keyboard.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

v570

Aaron B :

Click Start type in Device Manager in a Start Search expand Network Adapters in Device Manager. Right click a Network Adapter then click on Properties. Click on driver tab then click on Update Drivers. Click OK.

Aaron B :

You can press FN key plus one of the F function keys with a wireless icon to turn it on. Also, a wireless light should be on somewhere on your laptop, possibly near a power light.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

I tried the fn plus f5 and nothing and when i clicked on properties the driver tab was not there

Aaron B :

No driver tab for your wireless device?

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

under network adapters it shows quite a few which one do i click on

Aaron B :

It should be labeled wireless for example Intel Pro Wireless.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

there are thirteen different ones i updated all of them lol

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

still nothing

Aaron B :

Can you look at front and sides of your laptop for a manual wireless switch. It should have a wireless icon and small switch.

Aaron B :

Thirteen different wireless adapters under Network Adapters?

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

yes it is on wireless and yes thirteen different ones

Aaron B :

wow

Aaron B :

Can you delete them all and then click on a detect hardware changes icon or link in device manager. That should find your wireless adapter again and install drivers for it.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

will i be able to get them back?

Aaron B :

You should only have one wireless device listed under network adapters.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

should i just take this back to where i got it because it freezes up all the time too? LOL

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

they all have yellow exclamation points on them

Aaron B :

There should be just one wireless adapter listed and then a wired adapter listed. Thirteen wireless adapters listed is not normal.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

ok it says that the device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. I just had a windows update this afternoon. did that do something

Aaron B :

That's possible that windows update caused your problem. You could try a system restore and pick a date before you started having this problem and restore windows to that state.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

i tried that already lol didnt work

Aaron B :

I can try to find correct driver for you to download.

Aaron B :

Are you able to connect to internet on your new laptop with a wired connection?

Aaron B :

Browse to this website on your laptop with a wired connection and select run auto detect. http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

i tired to do a restore again and it locked up and wont let me even put my password XXXXX so i think i will just take it back to where i got it and tell them it doesnt work i guess

Aaron B :

If it's still under warranty that might be your best bet.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

i would think it should be i just got it a week ago

Aaron B :

Did it come with any antivirus installed? It shouldn't be freezing or having driver issues.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

i put kaspersky on it

Aaron B :

You could try doing a factory restore if you don't have any important data on it.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

no i dont have anything on it yet

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

i will try that first

Aaron B :

ok

Aaron B :

If a factory restore fixes your overall problems, I recommend installing kaspersky in safe mode before you connect to the Internet. Also, you might want to run Windows updates in safe mode as well after a factory restore.

JACUSTOMER-h0tnqn8j- :

ok

Expert:  super_leo2000 replied 5 years ago.

I need a little bit more information. Are you on a Physical connection or are you connecting through wireless?