Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

cannot connect Ipad2 to Actiontec router, from Verizon, Fi

Customer Question
Os....
cannot connect Ipad2 to Actiontec router, from Verizon, Fi Os.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
10/17/2011
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 6 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

When you attempt to connect to your network, are you prompted for a password? If so, how many characters in length is the password XXXXX are using?

That is part of what I don't understand. Ipad loacates a network PM174, than there are numerous options, which I am not familiar with. I am now trying "other network" option, using PM174 then chosing WEP, then entering Security key from the router. It is still trying to connect after over 5 minutes.

It certainly shouldn't take that long to connect.

What is the model number of the Actiontec router? It should be printed on the bottom...

MI424-WR Rev E
No repsonse!?!

I spend a few hours offline in the evening with my family - sorry for the delay.

Let's verify the password...

Use a computer that is connected directly to the router via cable - not a wireless computer. Click this link: http://192.168.1.1

A login prompt will appear. When the router was installed, this was likely written down somewhere - you may also try the default login:

username: admin

password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings at the top of the screen, then Basic Wireless Settings on the left. Rename the SSID - this will be the name of your network - you can name it anything you would like. Save the settings.

Click Advanced Security Settings on the left side of the screen. Change the first option to WPA. You should now see an option labeled PreShared Key. This will be your new wireless password. Enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters, then save the settings.

The router is now ready - connect your iPad to your new network name and enter your password XXXXX prompted. This will also need to be done with any other wireless devices you use.

If you get stuck or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I have tried several times, using that link on my computer(attached to the ActionTec router). I get to the login page (has a Verizob logo) type in admin, then when attempting to type in password, the space automatically fills in but not sure what it is - periods hide the pass word. Everytime (many times) I try to type in the password XXXXX hit login, nothing happens, it goes back to the log in page and have to try again. I had also tried this using my Firefox as well as Internet Explorer, all with the same result. I cannot even login!
When you enter admin, you mentioned the password XXXXX - if you click login at that point without typing anything, will it log in?
No, it goes back to the login and I hav to fill in admin over again.

Okay - when you signed up with Verizon, they should have given you a username and password XXXXX access the internet. This may be called your PPPoE settings.

Do you have this information? If so, I only need to know you have it - please don't post it online...

I have a user name and password XXXXX access the internet.

Perfect - let's reset the router and set it up with a new password. This will also remove the password XXXXX is currently set on the router so you can log in.

Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds, then release. Restart the computer that is connected to it via ethernet cable.

After the restart, log into the router by opening your browswer and entering this address: http://192.168.1.1/

username: admin

password: password

You may be asked to change the name and password.

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings at the top of the page. Enter a new network name into the SSID box - this will be your new network name. Use something you have not used in the past, then save the settings.

Click Advanced Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen, then change the Level 1 option to WPA. In the Pre-Shared key box, enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters, then save the settings.

The router is ready - connect your iPad to the new network name you made, then enter the password XXXXX prompted to connect. Any other wireless devices you have will need to connect to the new network as well.

Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Ok I will have to do this when I get back to this computer at home later this afternoon (EST) .
Got it and now connected! Thanks!
Congratulations and thank you!
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist