Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have bought from telstra a new technicolor TG587n v3 modem

so that I can have...
I have bought from telstra a new technicolor TG587n v3 modem so that I can have a wireless home network. Telstra want to charge me $99 of premium support to set it up,seems more like a $99 connection fine. My main desktop(windows 7) is not wireless. I have the new wireless modem connected via cable and would like to keep it that way. I want to be able to access the net with my laptop, PS3, and iphone using the new modem. Is this possible???
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2011
bmsjeff
bmsjeff, System Administrator

bmsjeff :

Here is the setup manual: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:TQFqJzENl3cJ:ww w.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php%3Fid%3D7039+TG587n+manual&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgfgY3BJwzQosRyEUoffgixLFlvXWjBCDH8Ni_EZma82Fp1rqPaIRc2ddpPaLE3O0N0Zx5PiXZxJS8pPLg1XrO_8-1vN3H3ZdFyfMq_O1agrqpXQOadBwpOY9XFkqqe1wYfV0wv&sig=AHIEtbTeHjP2yBEGPRHgOaXccdr7mlGe5Q the wireless setup instructions start on page 23. You can try to setup WPS automatically, if not setting it up Manual will work for sure. Page 10 shows you how to connect to the router if you need to Manually configure it.

Customer:

This is a different modem not v3

bmsjeff :

Can you connect to it via a web browser?

Customer:

yes through the ethernet cable because my desktop doesn't have wireless

bmsjeff :

Can you connect to the router in order to configure it? Have your tried the steps on page 10?

Customer:

sorry not the TG587n v2 but the v3

bmsjeff :

the connection method should be the same. Have you tried it?

Customer:

Yes and it works. I just cant connect other devices wireless, althogh the other devices can see the modem ie my laptop and iphone 4.

bmsjeff :

What happens when you try to connect? Does it ask you for a password/security id?

bmsjeff :

Do you know your security password?

Customer:

my other devices do but not this computer as its already connected

Customer:

yes

bmsjeff :

What happens when you enter it into the dialogue box?

Customer:

whats the dialog box???

bmsjeff :

When you try to connect via your wireless device, there should be a box that opens asking you to enter the password XXXXX Do you get this?

Customer:

yes

bmsjeff :

What happens when you enter it to connect?

Customer:

it keeps trying to connect until it kinda times out I guess

bmsjeff :

Then you are probably not entering the correct password. Are you sure you know what it is?

Customer:

My desktop can't see the other devices even though they can see them

Customer:

definatly

bmsjeff :

So you set the password XXXXX in the new router, or did the router pick one itself?

Customer:

no it came with the modem on a big

Customer:

pond card

bmsjeff :

It is probably not the correct password. Let's connect to the router and go to the wireless settings page.

Customer:

ok

bmsjeff :

let me know if you need help getting there

Customer:

please

bmsjeff :

connect to the router, go to home network, go to wireless, go to details, go to configuration. L

bmsjeff :

The new v3 may be a little different, but we can figure it out. Just let me know where/if you get stuck.

Customer:

sorry man I'm lost

bmsjeff :

Have you connected to the router?

Customer:

no

bmsjeff :

the web setup interface?

bmsjeff :

go ahead an do that

Customer:

still lost

bmsjeff :

have you connect via the instructions on page 10?

bmsjeff :

type 192.168.1.254 in your browser

Customer:

yes but I don't have a wireless adapter for my desktop . I thought that was this modem

bmsjeff :

you connect to it via the computer that is connected via the network cable.

bmsjeff :

your main desktop

Customer:

yes

bmsjeff :

from the computer you are on. Open another browser window and enter 192.168.1.254 in the HTTP area

bmsjeff :

when you get to the SETUP WIZARD, select NO and then continue on to the main page.

Customer:

just did that and it came up proplem loading page. Ill try again

bmsjeff :

Click on start (Circle in the left corner), Type "CMD" into the white box, hit ENTER. This should bring up a black box. Let me know when you are there.

Customer:

OK

bmsjeff :

In the black box, type "IPCONFIG" and hit ENTER. Let me know what the IP address is for DEFAULT GATEWAY

Customer:

Yep there

bmsjeff :

what is the IP?

bmsjeff :

it will be a set of numbers like: 192.168.x.x

Customer:

nothing like that in the box

bmsjeff :

did you type IPCONFIG?

bmsjeff :

I will opt out so someone else can assist you from here. You will need to access the router to set the proper password XXXXX that your wireless devices can connect.

Customer:

c:\users\Paul n Vega>

Customer:

Ipv4 10.0.0.1

bmsjeff :

Then you need to enter 10.0.0.1 in the browser, instead of the 192.168.x.x number. this will allow you to configure the wireless settings for the router

Customer:

It's all working now . Just had to make sure WPA was enabled in the security settings. Thanks heaps!!!!!

Customer:

So happy I didn't have to pay my connection fine. Yay!!!

bmsjeff
bmsjeff, System Administrator
bmsjeff
bmsjeff
bmsjeff, System Administrator