Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have misplaced the password XXXXX my d-link router (DIR 601).

Customer Question
How do I find it...
I have misplaced the password XXXXX my d-link router (DIR 601). How do I find it or use a new one. I need it to add a new Kindle to our home network.
E. Cafarelli
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
10/5/2011
Network Technician: Bernie, Network Technician replied 6 years ago
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for asking your question.

I can help you find the password, is the Windows 7 you're currently on already wirelessly connected to the network?
The computer I am working on is hard wired to the net, but the other two in the house wirelessly connected to the net.
Thanks - are any of the wirelessly connected ones a Windows 7 computer?
No
I see, not a problem. I ask because Windows 7 stores the network password XXXXX

On this hardwired computer you are currently on, please take these steps:

On a connected computer, open a web browser window and type: http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.0.1/ into the address bar, then press enter on the keyboard

A login prompt should pop up, to login, leave the username alone, and type admin for the password > Once in, click the Wireless settings link on the left, then the Manual Wireless Network setup button on the right

On that page look for a key #1, passphrase, or preshared key box, at the very bottom. Once you get it, you may exit that page. This is what you what to enter into the Kindle (it is case sensitive).
OOPs. Hit reply too soon. This is going to take some tiome.
EC
No problem, take your time and keep me updated.

Thanks
When I get to d link, "admin" is already entered in the user slot and can not be erased. Using "admin" as password XXXXX "invalid".
Now what?
Some versions of DIR 601 have no password, try just leaving the both fields alone and logging in that way (leave the password XXXXX blank).

First: when get to dlink page, change admin to only other choice "user", enter no password XXXXX it works go to "wireless" settings and then Manual....settings". There are 4 WEP keys. WEP key 1 and all the rest have bolded dots in them, no alphnumerics. Is this what I enter in the KIndle?
EC
Thanks - it looks like the router login was customized then - now that you are in there, you want WEP key 1. That will connect your Kindle to the network (and make sure when typing it in the Kindle, you copy it exactly, uppercase/lowercase and all).
There is nothing to enter! What is in WEP key 1 is, ......., just like when you enter a secure pasword.
EC
I'm sorry, I misunderstood - please go ahead and delete what's in there (if it doesn't not let you, let me know), and try creating a new password, then save your settings.

Or, change the security mode to WPA (it should be a drop down box on that page), and type a new password XXXXX the pre-shared key box (this is the password), then save your settings.

Keep in mind you will need to reconnect the other computers that are already wirelessly connected.
I can delete the dots and enter a 5 chacter pasword but it will not accept the change because I am logged in as "user" rather than "admin".
I have to leave home and may be gone for more than 1 1/2 hours.
EC
Thanks for your patience - here is what we must do at this point:

Press the reset hole on the back of your router with a paper clip for 30 seconds > After that, unplug the power cord from the back of the modem and router for a few seconds and replug.

After the lights on each have stabalized, go ahead and log back in as admin (with no password).

Then go back to Wireless settings, and hit the Wireless Network Setup wizard (the first button). You can then re-create your wireless network with a new password XXXXX name.
Got home late last night and will be away most of today. Will try to implement your advice when I get home. I had no idea this would take so long, but I do want to get it done. Hope you can bear with me.
EC
No problem, please take your time and keep me updated, I'll continue to assist as much as you need.

Thanks
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician
when I accepted your answer I only meant that I understood you would continue to work with me until my problem was solved, which it is not yet.
This is a holiday weekend in Canada and we have a house full of guests arriving tomorrow which means that i may not get to this until Monday. I really need to get this done so that our household can return to normal and my wife can use her new Kindle.
EC
Ok that's fine, please let me know when you're ready to continue.

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie: I have just been able today to get back to this problem. I reset the router, powered down then back up.When I tried to login I get to a web site (not the login site) saying that all have problems loging in to this address. I have been at this for 2 hours and am making no headway. Is there any thing else I can do?
EC
No problem, please take these steps:

(1) First, make sure you're directly plugged into the back of your Dlink router in port 1, 2, 3, or 4, this will not work unless you do
(2) Next, open a new web browser window, erase anything in the address bar at the top, then type: http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 and press ENTER on the keyboard
(3) A login prompt should pop up, to login, select or type admin for the username, and leave the password empty > Press login > Click the setup tab > Click the Internet Connection Setup Wizard button on that page
(4) Just follow the steps it gives you and reconnect to your new network with the new password afterwards.
Not working. Plugged into the router at port 2, just as always. This is the website it takes me to.

Why can't I connect to http://192.168.0.1 - Tech Support Guy Forums

forums.techguy.org › Internet & NetworkingNetworking
12 posts - 7 authors - Last post: 29 Apr 2007
I am trying to connect to http://192.168.0.1 so I can change settings on my router but I always get the error page: The page cannot be displayed ...
Solved: Can't connect to http://192.168.0.1‎ - 28 Aug 2010
Solved: http://192.168.0.1 isn't working‎ - 19 Jun 2010
Solved: Belkin Router/Cannot connect to http://192.168.0.1/‎ - 5 May 2009
Netgear router: Can connect to Internet, but can't connect to http ...‎ - 13 Aug 2007
More re
Try another port.

Additionally - Press the Windows Start button > In the box type cmd and press enter > Type ipconfig /all > Post your default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask here

Thanks
What are these? Post your default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask here
I am going for a walk. Really am frustrated.
EC
If you cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 (this is the default gateway), then we need to find out this information elsewhere.

Please try the exact steps I gave:

Press the Windows Start button > In the box type cmd and press enter > Type ipconfig /all > It will show a lot of different information there, look for sometime entitled Default Gateway, next to it, there will be a number listed, please give me the number it shows there. Do the same for the IP address and subnet mask.
default gateway
fe80::226:5aff:fecd:7b51%10
192:168.0.1

IPv4 address
192.168.0.100 (prefered)

subnet mask
255.255.255.0
Thanks,

At the top of your screen right now, do you see a File menu (File Edit View Favorities Tools Help)? If not, press the ALT key on your keyboard and it should pop up.

Then, go ahead and click the Tools button > Pick Internet Options > Click the Advanced tab > Click the reset button > Press the reset button again > Click close, ok

Next, close all Internet Explorer pages (including this one) > Reopen Internet Explorer and then go to http://192.168.0.1

If it still doesn't take you to the login page, click here: http://192.168.0.1

If still no luck, do you have the cd that came with the router?
Bernie: I am using Firefox, not explorer. Thre is no "internet options" in the tools menu.
EC
Oh I see - try to click here: http://192.168.0.1

Do you get the setup page now?
NO. I get the d link login page.
EC
Ok good, the DLink login page correct?

A prompt should pop up, to login, select or type admin for the username, and leave the password empty > Press login > Click the setup tab > Click the Internet Connection Setup Wizard button on that page

Just follow the steps it gives you and reconnect to your new network with the new password afterwards.
In the process of logging in when I try to "clone the MAC address" I am told that it is incorrect. The other two wireless connected computers in the house, not to mention the Kindle do not work. I have had enough.
EC
For now I need to opt out and open your question to all experts again, as I am out of ideas. Please don't reply back to this page for now as this will prevent other technicians from posting.

If you do not recieve another post within 24-48 hours, you can email [email protected] at anytime and they'll refund you per JustAnswer's Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Network Technician