Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Can't access http://192.168.1.102:8080 on my PC

Why can't I access http://192.168.1.102:8080...
Why can't I access http://192.168.1.102:8080 on my PC?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2011
jucraig
jucraig, Network Architect

Good evening! I would like to assist with your issue...

Can you please tell me why you're trying to access this on your PC? Just want to paint a picture of what the end result SHOULD be...

Not sure if you're trying to access a resource that RESIDES on your PC (as in your PC ipaddress is 192.168.1.102), or if you're trying to access a wireless router, etc...
<br/Customer:
I purchased Photo Transfer App from Itunes to transfer photos from my Ipad to my PC. The address is what I am to put in my PC browser to move photos from my PC to my Ipad. The pics transfer thru Wifi.

jucraig :
Do you have Windows firewall, or any other firewall apps such as Norton Internet security installed...if so, disable them temporarily on your PC, then try again. Please let me know the result!
<br/Customer:
I turned off the windows firewall and the problem persists. I have two user names, administrator and user. I used admin to turn firewall off. The address was not recognized after I turned off windows firewall (microsoft security essentials is what I use) in either user or admin account. What next?

jucraig :
Go to start, run, then type cmd and hit enter. If your PC is connected via wireless, then tell me what the ipaddress, subnet, and gateway are for the section: "Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless network connection" (You might have to scroll up to find it). IF your PC is connected via a wired connection, then please tell me the ipaddress, subnet, and gateway for the section: "Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection".

Also, go to start, then run and type cmd and hit enter again. At the prompt type ping 192.168.1.102 (making sure the .102 device is on and connected to the network)

Does it come back with 4 "reply from 192.168.1.102" or 4 "request timed out"?
<br/Customer:
When I went to start, run, and typed in cmd and enter, I got the prompt C:\Documents and Settings\Den>

jucraig :
sorry, I meant to tell you that after you go to the prompt to type ping 192.168.1.102 and please tell me if you get 4 "reply from 192.168.1.102" or 4 "request timed out"??

Also, I MEANT to say: Go to start, run, then type cmd and hit enter. Then type ipconfig and hit enter. If your PC is connected via wireless, then tell me what the ipaddress, subnet, and gateway are for the section: "Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless network connection" (You might have to scroll up to find it). IF your PC is connected via a wired connection, then please tell me the ipaddress, subnet, and gateway for the section: "Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection". Please let me know the results....

Sorry for the confusion!
<br/Customer:
After start, run, cmd, entr, type ipconfig, enter, I see this:
Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection specific DNX Suffix dc.rr.com
IP Address192.168.1.125
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
I don't see "Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless network connection"
However my Ipad does connect via wifi ...???

jucraig
jucraig, Network Architect

My mistake. I didn't mean to end our conversation. Can we reopen the conversation?

Now that I have that info (ipaddress, subnet, and gateway), with your iPad on and connected to the network, go to your actual PC running Windows XP and click start, then run, then type cmd and hit enter. Then type ping 192.168.1.102

Do you get 4 x replies, or 4 x timed out?

I get neither of the options above.
What shows up is still 192xxx is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.
What next

make sure you're typing it correctly, and in this format:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx (there must be a space between the word ping and the ipaddress)....so again, go to start, then run, then type cmd and hit enter...then in the following format type ping 192.168.1.102 and hit enter....just like it is in the following image:

Ping

You must put a space between ping and the ipaddress...

You MUST ensure that the iPad is turned on, and connected to the network...

Please let me know the result...let me know whether you get 4 x replies or 4 x time outs. Ultimately, this will tell me IF you can communicate with the iPad over the network.

Also, please remember that the app MUST remain open on the iPad while you're trying to transfer files....once you open the app on your iPad, and have selected your pictures to transfer, you'll want to make sure that the app is open for a couple minutes potentially before you try to access the web address from your PC.

Take a look at the following link...it has a video of how to transfer pictures from the iPad to the PC and vice versa. Here is a link to the procedure / process for moving pictures from the iPad TO the PC, which is what you're trying to do based upon your note above. Maybe you've seen this video already, but I just want to make sure you're doing it correctly:

http://www.phototransferapp.com/iPadToComputer.html

Here is a link to the video for transferring FROM the PC TO the iPad:

http://www.phototransferapp.com/ComputerToIpadVideo.html

Also, here is a link to a similar issue from the Phototransferapp website that MAY be helpful if my notes above do not resolve your issue:

http://getsatisfaction.com/photo_transfer_app/topics/all_steps_work_until_i_get_to_the_ip_but_i_can_never_find_the_ip_address

Please try all of the above, and let me know if you're still having issues!

I DID type PING space ahead of the website address and got this response:

Pinging 192.168.1.102 with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out (4X) Ping statistics for 192.168.1.102

Packets: sent - 4. Received - 0. Lost - 4 (100% loss)

I hope this helps you.

What happens if you try to do a ping 192.168.1.1

Try that, and please let me know the result...

We have at least some traction. What I see:

Four of these "Reply From 192....

Is that good? BTW, the original link from Transfer App for Ipad or Iphone is: 192.168.1.143.8080 (a new string on the app.... don't quite get that....)

Before it was 192.168.1.102:8080

The help desk said, Make sure you use the 8080 at the end...earlier when there was a 102: and not a 143:

What's the deal?

BTW, I just tried the new string with the 143:8080 and the Transfer App came right on. I'll try to move some pictures. We may be there...Stay tuned.

Gotcha! That ipaddress of 192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.143, etc...is continuously going to change, unless you set the iPad to a static public ipaddress, which is probably not necessary. Just make sure that when you open this app on your iPad that you pay close attention to the ipaddress that it gives you....

It's always going to be http://192.168.1.xxx:8080, where the xxx's are always going to change...

So, I would say that you're probably going to be okay now!

Please let me know if you need any further info, and I'll be here for you.

Thanks so much. We finally got there. Thanks too for the last explanation of how those 3 numbers can change. All the best!

You're VERY welcome!

Thank you for the opportunity!

jucraig
jucraig
jucraig, Network Architect