Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I keep getting kicked off my wireless network. I have a netgear

I keep getting kicked off...
I keep getting kicked off my wireless network. I have a netgear wnr2000 wireless router. I don't think my WPA matches my network name. Could this be causing my problem? Or is it time warner cable's internet? I have a macbook pro
8/25/2011
ITCris
ITCris, System Administrator

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer:

great!

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, are you currently connected to the router?

Customer:

yes

ITTechQ&A :

OK, we will need to log into the router to retrieve the correct security key. I will give you instructions.

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :

Use the link I have provided, the router's setup page will open in a 2nd window. Use the following to log in:

username: admin
password: password

Click here>>>http://www.routerlogin.net

ITTechQ&A :

Let me know when you log in.

Customer:

ok i'm logged in

ITTechQ&A :

Great, click on "Wireless Settings" on the left pane. You will see your security mode and passphrase. That is the password XXXXX need to connect a device to the router.

Customer:

ok i see that

ITTechQ&A :

OK

Customer:

I'm trying to find out why I loose my internet connection after I let the computer sit for a while. There is an exclamation mark going through the wifi symbol at the top right of the screen

ITTechQ&A :

The PC is a Mac?

Customer:

macbook pro

Customer:

when i go to system preferences and click on network it shows the WPA..i think it might be set on the wrong one?

ITTechQ&A :

The mac book picks up a signal from the router you are then prompted for password. The settings are then applied automatically.

ITTechQ&A :

What is the security mode set to on the router?

ITTechQ&A :

Check the page you have logged into.

Customer:

WPA-PSK [TKIP]

ITTechQ&A :

When you get the X in the corner do you re-connect?

Customer:

I'm not sure which x you are talking about. I usually have to restart the modem and router to get it to work again

ITTechQ&A :

OK, gotcha. Let's try changing the security mode as well as the channel on the router.

ITTechQ&A :

Do you have WPA2 as a option?

Customer:

I have WPA2-PSK [AES] as an option

ITTechQ&A :

OK, please change it to WPA2 and also change the channel on the router.

ITTechQ&A :

Are you using a wireless connection to the router?

Customer:

yes

ITTechQ&A :

OK when you go to make the change you will probably lose connection and have to re-connect to the router.

ITTechQ&A :

In case we are disconnected. Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks, so you can easily get back to the site. When you reach the site click on login (top right) and use the email you created the JustAnswer account with. Once you are logged in click on “my questions” to get back to our conversation.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what do i need to change the channel to?

Customer:

its on auto now

ITTechQ&A :

Change to the highest channel available.

Customer:

11 is the highest

ITTechQ&A :

OK

ITTechQ&A :

Make sure to save changes when you do you will probably be disconnected and have to re-connect

Customer:

ok i'll try it now

Customer:

ok i changed the channel and the wpa

ITTechQ&A :

Great, do you want to test out your issue?

Customer:

quick question...when i go to system preference then click on network i see the folowing settings:

Customer:

network name: NETGEAR and below that i see 802.1x: WPA netgear 3000 (this was the name of my old router). could this be causing any problems?

ITTechQ&A :

Do you have the option to delete the network?

Customer:

it won't allow me to change the netgear 3000 part

Customer:

is says "connect" to the right of netgear 3000

ITTechQ&A :

Follow the instructions I am going to give you.

Customer:

ok

ITTechQ&A :
  • 1

Open "System Preferences" on your Mac computer. Select the "Network" tab.

• 2

Select "Airport" from the list in the left margin of the Network tab. Click the "Advanced" button in the lower left corner of the screen.

• 3

Highlight the name of the wireless connection you wish to delete from the list under "Preferred Networks." Click the "-" button to remove it from the list.

• 4

Click "OK" to exit the Network tab. Click "Apply" in the System Preferences dialog box to apply changes and exit System Preferences.

• 5

Double-click the "Applications" icon to open the Applications folder.

• 6

Double-click the "Utilities" icon in the Applications folder to open the Utilities folder.

• 7

Double-click the "Keychain Access" icon in the Utilities folder to bring up the Keychain Access dialog box. Provide the proper login password XXXXX this has been previously set.

• 8

Highlight your wireless network in the "Keychain" list and click the "Remove" button. Select "OK" to exit the Keychain Access dialog box.

• Customer:

ok I've done everything. Will i need to restart the computer for the netgear3000 to be removed from the network page under system preferences?

ITTechQ&A :

Yes, correct.

Customer:

Ok great. I will restart the computer and be right back

ITTechQ&A :

OK

Customer:

well it's still showing on my network, but i don't see it on the advanced page or the keychain access page. should i leave it or try something else?

ITTechQ&A :

That's fine the key has been removed and that's most important.

Customer:

ok great. thanks for your help. I'll hit accept now if your finished?

ITTechQ&A :

Yup were all done.

If I helped or fixed your issue, PLEASE click "Accept" leaving Positive Feedback to reward my time/effort. A bonus is appreciated.
    Please "Reply" with additional questions/info rather then give Negative Feedback.

Thank you!

ITCris
    ITCris, System Administrator
    ITCris
    ITCris
    ITCris, System Administrator