Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

N600 router, failure

Customer Question
N600 router, failure
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Networking
4/21/2011
Network Technician: Engineer John C., Networking Expert replied 7 years ago
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

What's the brand of your router? Also, do you have internet by cable or DSL?

Thank you

John Cappucci

Hi John,

Its a Netgear N600. We have Cable.

The cable is working as I have plugged it in directly to this pc. All our home pc's work with hard wiring...so I know its not the pc.

I can also tell you that I can get a very very weak wifi signal from on my iphone if I hold it next to this router...but its not strong enough to get a connection and it fades when moved two feet away. (for whatever that info is worth)\

Chris

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7:

1- Please click Start, then Control Panel

2- Now click "View by: Large icons"

3- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- Click "Connect to a Network"

5- A list of wireless networks will show up. Please select your network ("Netgear" or "Wireless") and then click "Connect"

6- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

7- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

John,

I went thrrough the steps...at #5 netgear or wirless are not options, it appears it didnt reset (I used a timer to count the seconds and min's as detailed in the steps)

I can see neighbors but not this...I can however see the name of my wifi network...but still that very same weak signal that shows up while I am within 2-3 feet of the router...but thats as far as it goes..

Then it didn't reset. Please try again, when you reset the router, then the wireless name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless". The router needs to be turned ON, then press the reset button for 30 seconds at least.

Thank you

John Cappucci

John,

Well, we may be stummped...I have repeted the steps multiple times....to no avail...could it be that I have a defective device?

Please make sure you are pushing the reset hole. The reset hole is only accessible with a paper clip

Hi John,

Yes, I wanted to add to my last resonse...it appears that it did reset....becuse I have Netgear and Netgear-5 as options....However, they have the very same limited singnal strength like I had previously (weak within 2-3 feet from router and none beyond that).

Chris

That's weird. Is the router still in warranty?
I have had it for maybe a year at most...but I think the warrenty is 90 days only...
If the router was new when you bought it (not refurbished) then it should have 1 year of warranty.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Engineer John C., Networking Expert

John,

Although you didnt solve my issues I will accept the answer so you can get paid....I do believe in the honor system...pretty cool way to do it.

Chris

Please try also moving the router and placing it fas from wireless phones, for example. Thank you very much!