Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am trying to connect my PC to Mobile Hotspot and keep getting

the answer " Windows is...
I am trying to connect my PC to Mobile Hotspot and keep getting the answer " Windows is unable to connect to the network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again." I know the hotspot is in range since I am connected to a 2nd PC right next to it...

The mobile hot spot is supposed to have up to 5 users...
3/22/2011
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

Well, you have found windows 7 help.. Your mobile hotspot. Please describe it in detail, name brand, model.. Is this a verizon mifi ? Is it a hotspot you creating with a phone, if so, what type of phone?
It is a HTC Incredible (Droid) phone from Verizon. it is a Mobile Hotspot created by Smart Phone. It is not a MyFi device. Just a single phone

Apologies for the delay.. I didnt hear from you after a while so i checked back, I see you sent a message, but that didnt make it to me earlier for some reason.

Ive seen this issue with some windows 7 computers, not connectiing to droid hotspots.

There are a few fixes, lets try the first, if it doesnt work, let me know, and we can try the second.

click start, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt..

click run as admin

then.. id like you to type in exactly..

netsh winsock reset

( press enter)

ipconfig /release

( press enter)

ipconfig /flushdns

(press enter)

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

(press enter)

now.. restart your computer..

Then, try to reconnect to the droid hotspot.. any luck?

D.

appreciate the response...when I try to log into command prompt as administrator, it is password XXXXX so I cannot do that. The PC is a corporate one, which does, however, successfully receive wireless signals from other devices.

Should I try your original fix as regular user (non-administrator) or should we try plan B?

OM Gosh, I just realized that I had XP on the corporate machine, not Windows 7...sorry about the redirect...

Got you..

hmm.. it being password XXXXX may severely limit our ability of performing the needed commands.
Please try them anyways from a normal command prompt, and hopefullly it doesnt give us the elevated message.

No go on that fix..darn..

Given my recent revelation that I am actually using XP, and not Windows 7, I wonder if there is a SP download that would do the trick...I saw something to that effect on internet

We may download a driver. or possibly a service pack if its needed..

but question..

Was this working for you before, and suddenly quit, or is this the first time you have ever tried to set it up?
This had never worked on this pc
Ok, thanks..

Question.. whats the name brand, and model of the computer we want to fix..
It is a Dell Latitude E6400
Ok, that model shipped with about a dozen different wireless adapters..

To reload the correct software, i will need you to run a command first.

click start, click run, type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter..

Click the section labeled network, to expand it.

then, tell me word for word everything you see listed in network..

Thanks!

Ok here goes

1394 Net Adapter

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card

Intel (R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

Ok, heres the download link for the driver for your 1397 card.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=0 4&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R260736&SystemID=LAT_E6400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=18725&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=10&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=382986

Please download it and save it.. then once downloaded.. make sure to then run the file to install it..

Then, restart the computer, and try to connect again.

Let me know what happens.

D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator

Success! It worked. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Mark

forgot to accept answerSmile
Apologies for the delay, I took my dinner break at 5, and just got back and seen your replies..

Im glad everything worked out, thanks for baring with me as we worked through it.

If you need anything else in the future, let me know.!
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator