Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I installed a N300 Wirless Router WNR2000v2 and connected to

Customer Question
a laptop with cable....
I installed a N300 Wirless Router WNR2000v2 and connected to a laptop with cable. It works fine. Trying to set up a network with a pc, I get a window stating this network requires an encryption key. The wireless system indicates it is connected but without the encryption key I cannot access the internet.
Since I purchased this router over 90 days ago Netgear says they cannot help me with that without my paying an annual $99 service fee, or $66 for six months, or $36 for a one time fix. This system is not broken. Surely I should have received this key at the time of purchase, and been able to use it at any time thereafter whenever I wished to add a computer to my network. The serial number of the router is 23B1087522477. I am one window and one number away from having this network working. Help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
2/11/2011
Network Technician: jucraig, Network Architect replied 6 years ago
jucraig
jucraig, Network Architect
My name is ***** ***** I would like to assist with your issue!
Please give me a few minutes to review your request. I'll be right back with you...
Thanks,
Justin
Here's what I want you to do....I want you to go to Start, then Run, and at the open prompt, type CMD and hit enter.
At the black MS DOS prompt, type ipconfig
Please let me know what the ipaddress, subnet, and gateway are for the connection named "Local Area Connection"...
Thanks,
Justin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State......................:Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-s[ecofoc DNS Suffix:

Autoconfiguration IP Address...............169.254.3.50

Subnet Mask.........................................255.255.0.0

Default Gateway...................................169.254.3.50

I would assume you just did this from the machine that does NOT have Internet access correct?
Can you do this same thing on the machine that you're using to communicate with me?? Assuming that machine is also using XP, the procedure will be the same.
Thanks,
Justin

Unable

do you have 1 PC, or two?
Also, the machine that you are using to communicate with me on, is it utilizing a wired connection or wireless connection?
Lastly, on the machine that you're communicating with me on, is it running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7?
Thanks,
Justin

I do not trust the security of this service and am terminating

I can answer your question, I just need you to work with me to gather enough information to assist you.
I hope you will reconsider, but I certainly understand if you have concern.
Thanks,
Justin
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer