Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

We are attempting to connect a Swann Security camera/recorder

Customer Question
to be remotely accessible from...
We are attempting to connect a Swann Security camera/recorder to be remotely accessible from a computer or iphone via Hughes satellite internet.
Our IP addresses are as follows:
Swann DVR - 192.168.001.102:85
Links - 192.168.1.1
Hughes - 192.168.0.1
IP address - 66.82.162.13

Appreciate any help.
Steve & Paul
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
1/25/2011
Network Technician: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer replied 6 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer

Can you tell us what type of router you are using along with your satellite modem model for the connection then can you also tell me the model of your Swann recorder?

Thanks

Router is Linksys model WRT54G

Satellite modem is a Hughes Model HN7000S

Swann recorder DVR8-2500 (8 Channel H.264 Digital Video Recorder)

Ok,

When you access the DVR from inside your network can you tell me what you type into your browser?

Thanks

192.168.001.102:85

Ok,

In that case can you go to a machine that can get online through the router and then type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit enter to open the routers login pages.

When they open can you leave the username box empty and type admin for the password XXXXX let me know if that lets you get to the configuration pages for the router or not

Thanks

ok got links router connf page

Great,

Can you now click the Security link near the top of the page and then emove the checkmark from the Block Anonymous Internet Requests entry and then scroll down and choose Save Settings.

Once that is done can you then click the Applications & Gaming tab then click Port Range Forward and enter a name in the name box, such as security, camera, Fred or whatever you wish to call it.

Next can you enter 85 into the start end end boxes then for protocol can you select TCP/UDP and then enter 192.168.1.102 in the IP address box and then check the Enable checkbox and once done can you scroll down and choose save changes.

After you save your changes can you then wait about 60 seconds and let me know if you can then see your cameras remotely by going to http://66.82.162.13:85

If you have any issues let me know

Thanks

did not work

i can only view them with http:// 192.168.001.102:85

Ok,

Can you click this link and tell me what it says http://whatismyip.com/

If it is 66.82.162.13 can you tell me what model your Satellite modem is as we may need to make changes to it.

Thanks

That is the correct IP.

Hughes HN 7000S

Ok,

This will be an issue as the Hughes HN 7000S is a device that they will not allow anyone to configure.

Basically they have the device locked down so that if you want to use a device like your DVR you will have to purchase a static IP address and they then make a change to your modem for you so that it will pass traffic to the router so you can then see the cameras after you set the router to the new static IP address which I believe is $20.00 per month for a block of 5, however they may allow you a single address for less ( I have not checked their pricing recently)

Sorry to say but without the Static IP address we are dead in the water.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

That is the correct IP.

Hughes HN 7000S

I Have contacted Hughes, it will require an upgrade in sevice, this will require 1 hour of downtime. at which time I will call customer support for the new static IP address. Then I would like to get back with you to see if this is solved.

How can I do this?

Steve

Sure,

All you need to do would be to either bookmark this page so you can come straight back or if you open the email notification of my reply you should have been sent it will contain a link to bring you straight back here

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer