Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Hi; I have a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem, and wish

to connect a D-Link wireless...
Hi; I have a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem, and wish to connect a D-Link wireless router to provide wifi for the family (for iPods etc). How do I connect the modem (which has a USB connector) to the router which has only LAN/ Ethernet connection? I have been looking at internet forums etc for the last 2 days and am becoming more confused by the minute! I am running a fairly new Dell computer with Windows Vista, which has one ethernet plug at the back... Can you help me? Many thanks, Rachel.
1/15/2011
Bob
Bob, Computer Support Specialist
Hello Rachel
Thank you for using JustAnswer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help with your question.
The connection is going to be a little bit different than what you're used to.Instead,you'll connect your incoming cable to the SB5101,then connect that to your desktop computer(network host) with a USB cable.Then,using an ethernet cable,connect that computer to the network port on your router.
According to Motorola Vista should recognize the modem and install drivers on it's own,but before you make any changes go to the link below and look through all the installation information so that nothing surprises you.
http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Consumer-Support/Cable-Modems-and-Gateways
Once the modem is installed and you connect to the router follow the setup process on the CD that game with your router.It looks more complicated than it really is but if you have any questions we'll be here to help with that.
Thanks for using JustAnswer
Bob
By the way,this link has a diagram on page 2 that shows the connections.
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/Modems%20and%20Gateways/Modems/Cable%20Modems/SB5101/_Documents/Static%20Files/541726-001-a.pdf

Edited by Bob on 1/15/2011 at 4:36 PM EST
Bob
Bob, Computer Support Specialist
Rachel
I'm glad that worked out for you,even without the second link going to the right page.I don't know what happened with that.
Thank you for the feedback,and thanks for using JustAnswer.
Bob
I just have to try this again.
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Home-and-Office/Cable-Modems-and-Gateways/SB5101-Series-SURFboard-Cable-Modems/Documents/Static-Files/SB5101_QIG.pdf

Edited by Bob on 1/17/2011 at 2:19 PM EST
Thanks Bob. I ended up having to tweak some of the settings (once I found a link to http://192.168.0.1 - IE was of no use! Thank goodness for user forums), and ended up installing/ resetting/ installing etc several times before it worked. Luckily I wrote everything down (with lots of crossing out!) so will know what to do if/ when there is a problem... Again, many thanks for your assistance, I am most grateul. Rachel.
Rachel
You're very welcome,glad I could point you in the right direction.
Looking through forum posts or any other source in advance is always a good idea,and the notes help.
Keep us in mind in the future?
Thanks
Bob
Bob
Bob, Computer Support Specialist