arsufi
arsufi, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

Having problem installing my N300 Wireless ADSL2+Modem Router.

Having problem installing my N300 Wireless ADSL2+Modem Router. Following the step by step instructions via Resource CD, all goes well until Step 3 asks for Login Name and Password. I make entries and always receive "Authentication Error." It also tells me "Unknown Error" and hints I may be entering incorrect ADSL account information.

The entires I have made include: SBC (DSL) screen name and password, AOL (ISP) screen name and password, and even tried "admin" as login name with "password" as the password.

Thanks, XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Networking
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 6 years ago.

Hi

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Lindie
Moderator

Expert:  arsufi replied 6 years ago.

hi,

Please tell me the router brand and model

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Brand - Netgear/ Wireless N300 Modem Router DGN 2200
Expert:  arsufi replied 6 years ago.

we can try resetting your router first . For that press the reset button for about 1 min . Reset button can find on the rear side of the router.

After reset try configuring from the cd itself.If it doesn't work follow the next step .

Open a internet browser and type
http://www.routerlogin.net/

Check if it promts for username and password XXXXX

If it prompts enter the username and password XXXXX you have.

Username : admin
Password : password

If it gets into the router our next job is to give your adsl username and password XXXXX get connected to internet.

After that you can navigate to wireless section and configure the wirless .

If the address http://routerlogin/ doesn't work we have to login the router using ip address .Probably the router ip address will be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

We have to find out the right ip address. For that we can use ping command.

First we can ping 192.168.1.1 ip address .Prior to ping change the system ip address to same range . If you don't know that please click on the link below .

Please note don't apply on obtain ip address automatically . Instead apply the following ip address to your system.

Ip Address : 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 192.168.1.1

click apply then ok

Here is the link

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25949-42-change-address-windows.

After you change ip addres try to ping your router . To ping
Click start > all programs> accessories > command prompts

On command prompt type this ping 192.168.1.1 press enter. check if it ping . If it ping it will display somthing like this
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

If pings Open a internet browser and type
http://192.168.1.1/

If it gets into the router our next job is to give your adsl username and password XXXXX get connected to internet.After that you can navigate to wireless section and configure the wirless .

If this doesn't please change the system ip address to the following.

Ip Address : 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 192.168.0.1

click apply then ok

On command prompt type this ping 192.168.0.1 press enter. check if it ping . If it ping it will display somthing like this

http://192.168.0.1/

Please reply

Thanks

arsufi, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

While you were researching I discovered my DSL password XXXXX not being accepted. Why, I don't know! Thereby requiring a reset of password. This with my DSL screen name allowed me to receive acceptance by Netgear. Previously, Netgear was only telling me "Authentication Error." I had to stumble onto the fact that the password XXXXX not being accepted. At one time AT&T gave me a new password XXXXX a reset process and then when I entered it AT&T rejected it. Go figure! Thanks for your help. I had a solution prior to your feedback, but since you have gone to so much trouble please note I will accept your answer.

Expert:  arsufi replied 6 years ago.

Anyway I am glad to hear your problem got solved .Thanks for contacting justanswer.

Thanks