Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am having problems connecting my new Samsung Internet TV

Customer Question
to my wireless network via...
I am having problems connecting my new Samsung Internet TV to my wireless network via the Samsung Wi-Fi Stick.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Networking
12/15/2010
Network Technician: Lindie-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Lindie-mod

Hi

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Lindie
Moderator

Network Technician: Michael Hannigan, Network Architect replied 6 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

Can you please tell me a little more detail about the problem? Are you getting into the setup? Is there a point at which it fails?

It never gets past the IP Address, Subnet, etc. part of the test.

I have been on the Samsung forum and this seems to be a problem for most owners of these 8 Series TV's.

What is the model of your TV?
It is a Samsung UE46C8000 which is a LED model.

Thank you for the additional information.

When you are on the network scree, your IP configuration settings should be set to Auto, which is right above the IP address. Then after a short time, the list of available networks should appear, one at a time, in the box above that. This is in wireless setup. Do you have it set for auto? If so, what do you get?

Yes, the TV recognizes my network, but when I select it and enter my Network Key it comes up with a box stating 'Unable to connect'.

Do you know what your wireless settings on the router are? If the router is set up for what they call "Pure Hi-Throughput or Garfield mode with encryption, the connection will not take place.

So, let's back up a little. Make sure that your SWC (Samsung Wireless Connection) setting is set to off.

And I apologize if you've already done this, but it's the easiest way to configure it. Put you access point and Samsung TV next to each other (no more than 9 inches between the AP and the samsung wireless). Then turn them on and wait at least 2 minutes. After the two minutes, then plug the adapter into the television.

As soon as the connection is established, place the AP parallel to the Samsung Wireless Adapter and within 9 inches of it.

If this reports a successful setup, then you can put the AP in it's place and you will be all set. It's kind of weird, but it does work - sometimes.

If you do that, or already have and it didn't work, we can move on to other steps.

I cannot put my wireless modem to within 9 inches of the TV as it is in another room and is connected to my PC via an ethernbet cable.

That's really unfortunate. We can go through the manual steps instead.

The first one is to go into the network setup, select auto for internet protocol setup. Then go up to select a network and press enter. Does your network show up there?

If it does and you select it, you should have a popup to enter either security or pin. Select security. Then, under security key, enter the key that you have set up in the router. If you do not remember the key, you may have to reset the router to start again without security enabled.

I have done this, but it didn't work.

If it's still not taking the key, we may have to reset your router to default settings.

So you are getting as far as the key, correct? The key that you are putting in should be 26 characters. Do you have 26 character key?

No my Network Key is 8 characters, all letters in upper case.

It should be 13 ASCII characters, which translates to 26 hex characters, which is what your TV is looking for. What router do you have, so I can check the config parameters?

It is one supplied by Sky Broadband, Netgear I think.

Again the netwok key was supplied by Sky and it works with the 2 wireless laptops by kids have, and my ipod touch.

Let me try converting your passphrase to HEX. I will need the SSID (network name) of your router and the passphrase that you normally use to connect.

Will this effect the laptops and ipod touch?

See link below, my connection fails at IP Address, I only get past Mac Address, 1 tick!

http://watch2video.net/troubleshooting-wired-and-wireless-samsung-tv-connections-video-TOPXJlR_pPn.html

What a geek. That's not you, is it? Why does he have a tie on, but his shirt is not buttoned at the top? He didn't' shave, either. I wonder if he slept at the studio the night before?

Yeah, thank God it's passing the MAC address. So... that means that you have the little network gadget plugged in to the TV. I'm glad that's over. Now, step two.... ummm... hold on - that don't work.

The passphrase won't affect anything else. I just want to convert it into HEX with the hope that the Samsung TV will handle it properly. It's actually the same network key - just expressed two different ways. Some components will take the ASCII passphrase and convert it to HEX internally, while other devices require it to be in hex already.

I have just taken the time to unplug my wireless modem, take it downstairs and put it beside the SWD and it still didn't connect.

I then connected it to the TV with the ethernet cable and everything worked fine, I was able to get onto [email protected] plus download a software upgrade for the TV.

I may just get a Network Bridge for downstairs and connect it with the ethernet cable.

The wireless connection would have been great, but it looks as if it is not going to happen?

It might still happen. The fact that it worked wired to the router is great.

If you send me the passphrase for the router, I can convert it to HEX and you can try that as the network key. I think that has a decent chance of working.

My SSID is SKY53637

Mt Network Key is FHXHAAKD

Now on the Samsung wireless setup, use the following key:

FDC02D7EC9B5FF76F7D40C2992

If you were using WPA, it would be:

e596f3bdd320f01068317c38223199e9df7d297c992b9b831e5c1b242d57cf04

But I don't think that's the case. I'm just including it so you have it.

BTW, I did that in my head.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXXnigan on 12/17/2010 at 5:20 PM EST
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
I'll try that tomorrow, I'm off out now to our Christmas doo!

What do you mean? It's only 12:30! You guys start drinking at lunch?

Sounds good!

We're Irish!!
LOL. Me too! I wonder how close you are.Surprised

The code did not work, I'm not going to spend any more time on this, thanks anyway for trying.

Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I really appreciate your accepting the answer, even though we didn't resovle it. I really do. Merry Christmas.

Not a problem, sometimes life is just too short to spend so much time trying to fix something that might have an easier solution.

Have a Good Christmas.

You, too. Come back anytime you don't need something fixed and I'll help you Undecided

Seriously, if you have another problem that you need help with at some point, just come back, post a question and request me, and put in the minimum amount to post it and I'll help you out to try to earn what you've paid.

Merry Christmas!

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect