Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a comtrend CT-5621T DSL router that is configured by

Customer Question
is any body there I have...
is any body there

I have a comtrend CT-5621T DSL router that is configured by my ISP. The ISP tech support says that I should be able to connect wireless to it, but my DIR 655 keeps telling me that I have no internet connection. The DSL router has 4 ports, but only one is configured for internet.

I connected the one internet port to the grey internet port on the 655 and plugged my computer to port 1 on the 655. I have tried both an xp machine and win 7 machine, but give the same error.

should I get another model of dlink, or am I doing somethin wrong? I am using the cd to configure the connection between the comtrend and dlink

I could add that the other 3 ports on the comtrend are configured for TV access. Also the tech support at the ISP said that customers use a number of wireless routers, dlink, linksys, cisco, but he would not recommend a model or make.

thanks
kathe
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Networking
11/13/2010
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 7 years ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

Networking Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Networking Extraordinaire :

What do you mean when you say that only one port is configured for Internet?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Which setup did you use on the router for the WAN setup?

Being that your DSL modem is a router, you should set do the following on the Dlink router:
- Plug the computer into a LAN port on the dlink router
- Go to 192.168.0.1
- Login
- Username is XXXXX XXXXX left blank
- Default password XXXXX default
- Click the LAN Setup button
- DISABLE the DHCP SERVER
- Change the LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.200
- Click the APPLY BUTTON

MAKE NOTE OF THE NEW IP ADDRESS 192.168.1.200

- Now plug the Comtrend modem into one of the LAN ports on the router
- Plug the computer into one of the other LAN ports

------------------

It is a very bad idea to have two routers on the same network in the way that you do.

-----------------

Please, update me on your status if you have any problems or questions.

If you are satisfied with my help, please click the Accept button and I will in effect be awarded credit from this site for helping you. In any case, I wish you a great day.

Thank you // Peace.

Customer:

i solved my problem yesterday. I entered the the leased ip in the wireless. yes i know it is a bad idea to have 2 routers, but i do not have a choice with my isp.

Customer:

please return my deposit.

Customer:

kathe

Networking Extraordinaire :

Hello again,

Networking Extraordinaire :

Yes you do have a choice. Your best choice is to purchase an ACCESS POINT and not a ROUTER. Then you would plug the access point into the router.

If you entered the leased WAN ip address into the router, which is also on the DSL modem, I foresee many problems. If you do that, the internet will stop, start, stop, restart, or just stop totally.

Networking Extraordinaire :

If your ISP told you to purchase an additional router, they are in the wrong.

Customer:

Only one port is configured for the internet, because the other 3 are for TV, it is a privite version of uverse. I do not have the root password XXXXX the comtrend router. I can not get into the interface. it is configured by the isp. I know that this is not a good situation, but I am at my lake house away from a city environment. They are the only DSL available. The leased ip is working, and i may have to reset it, but it will work for now.

Customer:

I am sorry if you think this is wrong. I can not change it.

Networking Extraordinaire :

Oh, sorry for the confusion, I believe that I understand the setup again.

Networking Extraordinaire :

*now, not again.

Networking Extraordinaire :

You referenced "A private version of Uverse", who is that service with"?

Networking Extraordinaire :

You can login to a Regular Uverse Gateway box by doing the following:
- Go to http://192.168.1.254

If it asks you for a Password, on the side of the RG (if it is standing up, on the Bottom if it is not) the password XXXXX XXXXX where it says System Password.

Customer:

It is NOT uverse. It is a private company that has a service simular to uverse. It is Crosstel communications in Werner, OK. I have uverse at home and have the password XXXXX that router.

Customer:

I have the problem solved for the time being.

Networking Extraordinaire :

The problem is solved for the moment?

Networking Extraordinaire :

Thank you // Peace.

Jason Jones, Network Technician