Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have been on the phone with Charter because I was disconnected

Customer Question
from the internet while using...
I have been on the phone with Charter because I was disconnected from the internet while using my laptop. After checking the problem is with my linksys. I am currently connected directly to the modem from my laptop. If I unplug, I will lose my connection. How can I get help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Networking
11/1/2010
Network Technician: Mr. Clark, Network Engineer replied 7 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

You may have a corruption in your Linksys configuration or your Linksys needs to be reregistered with the Charter modem. The easiest way to correct this is a factory reset of your Linksys.

With the power on your router, hold down the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip for 60 consecutive seconds (if you release early start over) and then unplug power to the router and unplug power to the modem.

Turn on power to only your Charter modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Turn on power to only your Linksys router. Wait 60 seconds.

Now see if you can connect via your Linksys router.

Update me on the results.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
You don't understand... my modem is connected directly to my laptop and not to my linksys. There is nothing currently hooked into my linksys does not something have to be connected to it for it to work? If I disconnect the cord between the modem and my laptop, I will have no connection to you.
Yes, I do understand.

You will need to connect your modem to the Internet port on the back of your Linksys (it is the port to the left of the four numbered ports).

From there, reset the router as listed above and follow the remaining instructions.

If done correctly, you should be able to connect with the router.

If you cannot, your router is defective and needs to be replaced.

Update me on the results.

Do I have to unplug my modem before plugging in my linksys on step 3 as you said plug in only the modem then plug in only the llinksys
After the paperclip method of reseting your Linksys, you should unplug power to both modem and router.

Now plug in power to only your modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug in power to your router. Wait 60 seconds.

From there, see if you can connect.
Doesn't my blue cord have to be connected into my linksys instead of my laptop before I start the process you have designated
Yes, I stated that in a previous answer. I will post everything in a consolidated post for clarification.

You should have your blue ethernet cable plugged in from the ethernet port of your cable modem to the Internet port on the back of your Linksys (it is the port to the left of the four numbered ports).

Turn on power to your Linksys router. Wait 60 seconds.

Update me on the results.

I do not understand. When I start out...the power needs to be turned on to both the modem and router or which
Either just the router or both. For simplicity, just have them both on.

I don't know how to turn the power on to either I only know to plug and unplug. So...

you say turn power on ONLY to modem but it is already on both modem and router if they are plugged in. I am a novice not an expert and I really would appreciate it if you would start from the beginning. I have been working with cable so nothing is where it should be. As I thought I explained earlier... nothing was plugged in to my router. I have plugged back in my desktop as they works on the router too due to some strange way I was connected when I first bought the linksys and was having problems. Now... Nothing else is plugged in to the linksys. The blue cord (which I think is the ethernet) is plugged into the modem.

Now do I plug electric into both and if I do... how can I turn on power (or in my case - plug in power to ONLY the modem???? since you told me to plug in both. I need you to start at the beginning and tell me what should be plugged in to what and answer the question about ONLY the modem.

Okay, I would be happy to break down the process more.

You have your Charter modem. It should have a power adapter plugged into the wall outlet, a coax cable that goes to the cable signal from the wall, and an ethernet cable (blue) that goes from the ethernet port on your Charter modem to the Internet port on your Linksys router.

You have your Linksys router. It should have a power adapter plugged into the wall outlook, the ethernet cable (blue) that comes from the Charter modem to the Internet port on the back of the Linksys router, (and if you have any non-wireless computers, they will have an ethernet cable plugged in from one of the four numbered ports on the back of the Linksys router that goes into the network port on the back of the computer).

Now, let's start with both the router and modem powered on.

Hold down the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip for 60 consecutive seconds (if you release early start over).

Now unplug the power adapter to both the Charter modem and the Linksys router.

Wait 15 seconds.

Now plug in the power adapter to the Charter modem.

Wait 60 seconds.

Now plug in the power adapter to the Linksys router.

Wait 60 seconds.

Now see if you can connect online.

Update me on the results.
Based on what you have stated on your other post, if you cannot connect with the Linksys router after a factory reset, you may have a defective router and it will likely need to be replaced.

You tried one thing... perhaps I have something else wrong on the computer itself. I tried to fix it before calling anyone. I am not satisfied with your answer. Don't you need to check my computer to see if I have everything set correctly.

Also you failed to answer my question about the second sign up I had to do when I clicked on your e-mail the first time. What happens to that. I explained that it gave me another order # XXXXX required my credit card info again.

The PC would not be the issue. You are able to connect directly to the modem, which rules out the PC and Charter as the points of failure.

Factory reset and reregistering the mac address of the router to the modem --- no connection. This is Networking 101; the point of failure is the router.

For your second sign up, I have already put in a duplicate question report and that will be closed and nullified.
Should we try to see if it works on my desktop which is also connected? Do you work for linksys
If you would like to try your Desktop, that is fine. Power off the modem and router, connect your Desktop. Power on your modem, wait 60 seconds, power on your router, wait 60 seconds, and see if you can connect.

No, as stated in my first post, I work for JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

If you would like to contact Linksys, you can do so at this link: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys

I am not satisfied because I thought you were with linksys and you only did one thing. When I had trouble before I went to Linksys and they took over control of my computer and fixed my problem

#1 - The top of the page (logo) states that this is JustAnswer.com, not Linksys.com. You had to agree to a disclaimer prior to posting your question.

#2 - There is nothing that can be configured on your computer that will fix a defective router. I am expert in networking and have seen this scenario a thousand times. You have a defective router.

#3 - It is against JustAnswer policy for experts to remote in to a customers computer. Even if I could, no configuration or software download could fix a defective router.

I stand by my diagnosis. I'm sure Linksys will charge you $50-100 an hour to tell you to purchase a new router. If you are not satisfied with my answer, I would encourage you to get a second opinion.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Good luck.
Did you just get my message?

Guess not... my computer cut out then because I did not send it and it disappeared while I was still typing. What I asked is why a computer that has worked fine in the past would become defective. It is not new, probably about 2 years old.

I do not speak computereze as I am 70 years old. I did not understand what you told me to do with my desktop. I guess what I really was asking was if that would make a difference because Charter already told me the problem is not with my laptop or their modem.

That is two questions. Please answer both. Thanks.

#1 - Routers usually go bad between the age of 2-5 years. They are made cheaper now than they used to be. Linksys is at the bottom rung of "long lasting products". They can go bad for a number of reasons. Most common ones are power surges (from thunderstorms) and high room temperatures. It is not uncommon for Linksys routers to die within two years of usage.

#2 - If Charter have told you the problem is not with your laptop and not with your modem, then they support my statement that the problem is with the router. There would be no difference if you hooked up your Desktop to the router. The result would be the same.

Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer