sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Experience:  B.Tech.
33602187

I am attempting to connect my upstairs computer to the internet

I am attempting to connect my upstairs computer to the internet by routing from my computer downstairs using a router provided by my server, compast, so that I can access the internet from the upstairs computer by using a router provided by comcast. Once I made all of the required connections and began installation of the software on my downstairs computer, a got a message in the final step (when attempting to make the connection) that the connection could not be made.

It was then asked (1) whether my PC network card was enabled,
(2) Is my PC or notebook connected by wireless to another network (My PC is connected to my slingbox),
(3) Does my PC's network card have a DHCP client service enabled (I don't think so?)

What is my problem making a connection?
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Is upstais computer a laptop?

Is downstairs computer a desktop?

is the modem connected to the internet/wan port of the router?
is the router connected to the desktop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Both my downstairs computer and upstairs computer are desktops

The modem is connected to the iknternet/wan port of the router and the router is connected to the desktop.

okay.

In order to connect upstair computer wireless, it must have wireless capability or wireless adapter installed.

if it does not have wireless capability, you will have to connect an ethernet cable from the router to upstair computer.

Are you online on the downstair computer when the modem is connected to router and router to comptuer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just purchased the upstairs computer. I do not know if it has wireless capability or wireless adapter installed. (If this is the problem, I need to know how do I get a wireless adapter installed) It is a brand new computer and I am assuming that it has wireless capacity.

I cannot connect with an eternet capable from the router to the upstairs computer because the two computers are at opposite ends of my very large home and there is no direct access from downstairs to upstairs for an ethernet cable.

I am online on the downstairs computer when the modem is connected to the router and the router is connected to the downstairs computer.

Do I need to install the software on both the downstairs and upstairs CPU's?

Great, you are online on the downstairs computer.

Please tell the exact make and model of the new computer. I will tell you whether it has the wireless adapter installed or not.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Upstairs computer is a Dell, Product type 1560-2133NBK/INTEL; Model # XXXXX

Please tell whether this desktop computer is studio, dimension,inspirion, xpx,

Also, pelase check its model number again.

Or in order to check whether it has wireless card or not.

Pelase go upstairs and follow the steps given below:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click Computer.
3.Click Manage.
4.Click Continue if it asks to do so.
5.Click Device Manager on the left hand side.

6. Now, on the right hand side, you will see Network Adapter. If you will see +sign in front of the network adapter, you can click it. Now,tell me what do you there.

If this does not fix, please get back to me.

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. You will NOT be charged twice. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I performed all of the above items on the upstairs computer. When I clicked on network adapter, The following categories were displayed.

Which do I click on to activate the device or to read the signal from downstairs?

I have the software on both the downstairs and upstairs computer but the downstairs computer still does not show that I am connected.

The message on the SMC EZ Installation says connection failure! and asks

1. Is your PC network card enabled?

2. Is your PC or notebook connected by wireless to another network? (I do have a slingbox connection on the downstairs computer!)

3. Does your PC's network card have a DHCP client service enabled(I don't know what a DHCP client service is but I don't think there is anything else enabled unless something was enabled when they connected by slingbox)

If you see wireless adapter under network connection, please try to connect wireless as under:

http://forevergeeks.com/how-to-connect-to-a-wireless-access-point-in-windows-7