Networking

Please take note Im not the most computer literate in the…

Please take note: I’m not...
Please take note: I’m not the most computer literate in the world, however, with the proper guidance, I think I can re-establish a secure wireless network connection on my computer.
I happened to notice when I looked at the Wireless Connection Status Box on my computer the Network named was linksys (unsecure) where previously it was Customer,... Read full answer
I happened to notice when I looked at the Wireless Connection Status Box on my computer the Network named was linksys (unsecure) where previously it was Customer, a secure connection. I didn’t make the initial wireless connection, so I don’t know how Customer was configured. The person who did the initial setup left a network key composed of 26 letters and numbers. What do I have to do to re-establish this “Customer” secure network? The router I’m using is a LinkSystem WRT54G, and I’m running Windows XP with SP3.
For whatever this is worth: In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box it states: Connect using Linksys Wireless G USB network ad… I seem to recall it stated: “Windows configured” or something like that.” Can you help, please?
9/24/2010
Route Ranger
Route Ranger, Internetworking Consultant
Ok, well it looks like you've RESET the router to factory defaults.

LINKSYS is the default Wireless network name.

So the "Customer" (whatever that means) network, is gone and the routers now back at factory defaults with no security.

So to reset security, just connect to the routers switch ports in the rear using an ethernet cable from your computer, and log into this URL to manage the router.

http://192.168.1.1

Leave the username field empty.

Use the password XXXXX aadmin

Once into the management interface, you simply need to click over to WIRELESS and set a WEP key. You will enter a "Passphrase" and the router will generate 4 "Keys".

Use the FIRST key. That will be the default so use the first key.

That key will be the one you enter into your computers network adapter to connect up when prompted.

Also, change the SSID from LINKSYS to whatever you want to call your Wireless network. You can make it "Customer" again or whatever you want.

That's all there is to it.

Let me know if you have any questions.
RR
Route Ranger - so I need a long ethernet cord or move my desktop computer near the router to accomplish this. How was this conected initially? Installation disk? What is the network key (26 alphanumeric) for?
Yes, the setup for your router was originally done probably with a laptop by whomever you had set it up.

You plug into the back of the router, to access the management interface. You can always just unplug the router and move it over to your PC, set it up, then plug it back in where it was if you don't' have a long enough cable. But you WILL need a cable connection to the router to accomplish this.

The other password XXXXX have is the one that WAS on the router, prior to it being reset.
Route Ranger
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a Linksys wireless router installed several years ago
I have a Linksys wireless router installed several years ago Mod. #WRT54GS that connects us to our Comcast service. I have a need to determine if there was a password XXXXX with it at the time of inst… read more
Support Specialist,
We have an in home wireless encripted network, lets call it
We have an in home wireless encripted network, lets call it X. WE purchased a Netgear rotor extender to strenghten our signal for X. It appears that the Netgear extender has its own unsecured wireless… read more
PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller
I have a WRT54G router. I hit the reset button on the router
I have a WRT54G router. I hit the reset button on the router (in attempt to connect my new I Pad, having misplaced my password) and now have no security and my wireless printer will not print. My ques… read more
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Network Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi. I just reset my Linksys wireless router (WRT150N) as I
Hi. I just reset my Linksys wireless router (WRT150N) as I had lost the internet connection (it was showing on my computer as 'local only'). While doing so, I also switched off the security setting on… read more
Kevin
Kevin
LAN/WAN Specialist,
Hello, I am using a Lnksys WRT54GS, but I had to get a new
Hello, I am using a Lnksys WRT54GS, but I had to get a new computer (have the old hard drive installed). I went from XP Home to 7 Professional on a 64 bit model i5. My router kept working, but the sof… read more
Cris
Cris
I have inadvertently wiped out my Linksys connection. What
I have inadvertently wiped out my Linksys connection. What can I do to reset my box? I have the wireless 54 G… read more
Kevin
Kevin
LAN/WAN Specialist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I forgot my linksys password and am trying to re-setup my wireless
I forgot my linksys password XXXXX am trying to re-setup my wireless broadband connection. Have already gotten to the last stage after entering the passphrase. Then keep losing the connection. Now the… read more
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Network Engineer,
Currently have a WRT54G router._Bought an E2000 as an upgrade._1) Is it best to completely
Currently have a WRT54G router._Bought an E2000 as an upgrade._1) Is it best to completely uninstall any prior router software before proceeding with a new installation? _2) Any conflicts between 4 co… read more
magtech
magtech
IT Consulting - Owner,
i have a linksystem wcg200 which i need to set a secure wireless
i have a linksystem wcg200 which i need to set a secure wireless to prevent my neighbors logging in on service. how can i change from unsecure to secure?… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I have DSL at our country home provider is CentruryLink with
I have DSL at our country home: provider is CentruryLink with a Westell modem supplied by the provider. A Linksys router (WRT54G) is hardwired to the modem. The DSL occasionally to frequently goes dow… read more
JacobW
JacobW
Precision Farming Specialist,
Hi. Our internet went down this evening and I called Cox who
Hi. Our internet went down this evening and I called Cox who is our internet provider. We have a linksys WRT54G router and cable modem BEFCMU10. Somehow, Cox managed to reset our modem and router so t… read more
Network & System Administrator,
I live in an apartment complex and have established a secure
I live in an apartment complex and have established a secure wireless connection to my router. When I see what networks are visible in my complex, I see "Linksys1". I want to make sure that network is… read more
Network Bill
Network Bill
Stop searching for answers—
I took my laptop into be fixed - when it came back it would
I took my laptop into be fixed - when it came back it would not connect to my router stating that my security setting were different. I pulled out the linksys disk - reran the wizard program - and whi… read more
Network Bill
Network Bill
I have a Linksys Wireless B Broadband modem, Model BEFW11S4
I have a Linksys Wireless B Broadband modem, Model BEFW11S4 I never password protected it, I just left it unsecured...now, by itself, it has become security enabled, (WPA2) and I can't log on to the N… read more
Engineer Lee
Engineer Lee
IT Technical Engineer,
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have two unsecured
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have two unsecured and one secured networks set up on the router. Recently during a storm we had a brief brown out. Afterword the two unsecured networks imme… read more
Eric K.
Eric K.
Network Administrator,
My son changed his tv and in the process, moved wires for our
My son changed his tv and in the process, moved wires for our linksys router and our comcast modem. It appears that everything is re-hooked correctly. Our cable company says there is a signal, however… read more
Network Bill
Network Bill
I have a Linksys wireless route. The model # is WRT54G2V1.
I have a Linksys wireless route. The model # XXXXX XXXXX I lost my internet connection and thought it was a router issue. So I am trying to reestablish a connection to the network and am having proble… read more
Network Bill
Network Bill
Hello. I set up my new LinkSys Wireless N Broadband Router
Hello. I set up my new LinkSys Wireless N Broadband Router (Model WRT 160N V2). At the prompt, I asked it to name my system Bex, gave it a password, and asked for it to be high security. Immediately, … read more
NixDude
NixDude
5 years college, 160 hours, 3.9 GPA