Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am trying to install a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless N 150 USB

adapter. During installation the Wizard...
I am trying to install a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless N 150 USB adapter. During installation the Wizard says to press the routers WPS button(assuming its a D-Link router I guess).
Anyhow, tried 3 times but each time the install 'failed'.
Would you have a solution?
( I'm using WIN 7 Ultimate on an HP Pavilion dv 5000)

ps...3 years ago I installed this WRT54G LinkSys Router and, you guessed it..I can't find my original install CD. So I don't have many options. Can you replace the install disk with if I send you the s/n of the router?
Thanks,
Bill Cummings [email protected]
8/26/2010
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
Kevin :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Kevin :

Please give me just a moment to check some information about your adapter...

Kevin :

Were you able to complete the installation of the software from the disc that came with the adapter?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Negative to completing the install.

Kevin :

That's okay - right now, are you using a computer that is directly connected to the Linksys router via cable, not wirelessly?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

No, the Compac is connected wirelessly in thru my network.

Kevin :

Do you know what your wireless password XXXXX XXXXX connect to your network? Please don't post it if you do, I just need to know if you have it or we need to get it from the router...

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Sorry, I installed my router several yrs ago and the install CD has gone 'bye-bye'. ps...think I can get another from LinkSys?

Kevin :

They don't send out cds, but some models do have the installation software you can download. I can help you get the DWA-125 card working without the cd if you are interested...

Do you have any computer that is connected to the router via cable you can use for just a minute or are they all wireless?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Yes, I have a 4 yr old eMachine desktop that is hardwired to the router.

Kevin :

Perfect...on that machine, can you open Internet Explorer and enter this address? http://192.168.1.1

Kevin :

You should get a login screen - leave the username blank and enter admin for the password. Are you able to log in?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

OK, will do. Hang on as its in the bedroom.

Kevin :

No problem. I'm in no hurry...

Kevin :

Were you able to log in okay?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Ok, I'm logged on to 192.168.1.1 and I see several ideas about 'recovering 'a password.

Kevin :

If you were able to log in, you should see a menu like this one:

Full Size Image

Kevin :

Is that what you have on your screen?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

OK, I'll go back in and check.

Kevin :

If you do, click Wireless, then Wireless Security just below it. What we are trying to do is get the password XXXXX be able to connect your other laptop. In the Wireless Security screen, there is a box labeled passphrase or preshared key - this is your wireless password.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Sorry, no 'menu' like that, but saw a 'twitter' come-on saying "follow me"..

Kevin :

Okay. There is still another way. Can you try installing this program on your wireless computer and see if it will tell you the wireless key?

http://download.cnet.com/WirelessKeyView/3000-2092_4-10614187.html

Kevin :

Once you have the key, the D-Link can be set up...

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Ok, thanks Kevin. I think I have the "key"

Kevin :

Perfect. It is at least 8 characters in length, isn't it?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Ok to go ahead and accept my PayPal payment.

Kevin :

There is a bit more to the DWA125 setup...

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Yes, as amatter of fact...20 characters would you believe!

Kevin :

I believe it - that is good. Let me get you the last part on the DWA-125 that will install it and get it working:

Kevin :

Run the installation cd on your Windows 7 computer and on the very first screen, at the top left, click Install Drivers.

Kevin :

When you get to this screen, choose Manual, not the WPS option:

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Ok, should I do that on the HP ( which is already connected to the network) or the Compact which is the one with the DWA 125 I'm trying to connect.?

Kevin :

On the one you are trying to set up.

Kevin :

The Com[aq.

Kevin :

Compaq

Kevin :

When you get to the Manual settings screen, the installation will look for wireless networks - select yours, enter your key when prompted and you should be installed completely and connected.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

...and install the WIN7x86, right?

Kevin :

Is the WIN7x86 the software for the DWA-125?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

I believe so, otherwise the other WIN7 choice is WIN7x64.

Kevin :

That's right - WIN is the 32 bit software.

Kevin :

WIN7x86 is 32 bit - typo...

Kevin :

WIN7x64 is 64 bit.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

OK , here goes...

Kevin :

You can check your version by clicking Start, right clicking on Computer and selecting properties.

Kevin :

Good luck - I will wait to hear back...

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Well, tried & tried. but its not accepting the key. I type it in with 'show text' then clk OK then 'connect' but I cant get past the 'connection' window. Any ideas?

Kevin :

Yes...on the wireless key view program there are two places that show the key. One is the key, the other is an encrypted 'hash'. The hash is what you have - sometimes the key does not show.

Kevin :

The solution to this is to reset and reinstall the router.

Kevin :

I can provide instructions for that - the only thing I need to know is the brand and model number of the modem given to you by your service provider.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

OK, hang on.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Ok, its a "WRT54G router, ver 6, Broadband Router, w/ 4 port switch, s/n CDFDOFC16153. Anything else?

Kevin :

That is the router info - do you have a modem too?

What kind of internet connection do you have - tv cable or phone line?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Hold everything Kevin, I remembered what else I saw onthe screen...just typed it in and BINGO, Im online!! Connected! So now, do I clk 'activate' or what?

Kevin :

If you made it online, the last thing is the Accept button on this post - great job and sorry to keep you up so late!

Kevin :

If you have found my answer helpful, please click the 'Accept' button. I am not compensated for my efforts until you do. Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated too!

Kevin :

Just to be sure - was there more to the 'activate' part you mentioned?

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

Hey, you sure earned that one! I think the original $16 would be more appropiate.. how do I do that?

Kevin :

I don't think that can be changed once the chat has already started. Don't worry about that part...

The important thing is your new adapter is working and online.

JACUSTOMER-hu9k532y- :

I sincerly thank you for everything and stickin with this problem until we got it done. I highly recommend you to anyone!!

Kevin :

Happy to help :) Thank you.

Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist