Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

DIR-615 router: How to reset router without CD?

Lost dir-615 router password. How do I reset router and start over without cd installation software?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is Kevin - thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Just in case you would like to retrieve your password before resetting, here is the correct way to get it:

Use the computer directly connected to the router. Open Internet Explorer and enter this address: http://192.168.0.1/

Select the Admin username and leave the password blank - just click to log in. If the login fails, proceed to the reset steps. If the login worked, click Wireless Settings on the left side. Your Pre-Shared Key, (wireless password) will be listed on this page.

Reset steps:

Power off the modem and computer connected to the router. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the D-Link with a pen for 15 seconds, then release. Power it off after it restarts.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

Open Internet Explorer and enter this address: http://192.168.0.1/

Select the Admin username and leave the password ***** - just click to log in.

Click Wireless Settings on the left side and make these changes:

1. Wireless Network Name - this is the name of your network. Make it something you have not used in the past.
  2. Security Mode - WPA-Personal
  3. WPA Mode - Auto
  4. Cipher Type - TKIP and AES
  5. Pre-Shared Key - this is your wireless password. Must be at least 8 characters in length, anything you would like to use is fine.

Save the settings and exit. Reconnect your wireless devices to your new network name and pre-shared key. If you have any questions on how to do this part, please let me know.

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Expert:  Tony K. replied 7 years ago.

Press the red reset button on the back of the router while powering up the router. This sets the router to the factory default values. Log into the router with a username of "admin" and no password.