Kyle
Kyle, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  ITE
38496439

My Netgear CE0560 wireless router is apparently in need of

My Netgear CE0560 wireless router is apparently in need of new firmware (?) settings. About 30% of the time when we are using our desktop or our laptop, we can not naavigate to a new page because we get the message "IE is unable to display the webpage." After numerous attempts and phone calls, my internet provider believes my router is the problem and not the modem. When the cable is connected directly into the desktop, the computer speeds up and the error message doesnot display. What do you think? Should I just go buy a new modem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kyle replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Artemis-techie :

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX ill be assisting you

Customer:

Hey Kyle. Are you still there? I was doing some cooking while I waited.

Customer:

Okay, you're off-line, I see. I'll keep the computer active and listen for a tone. Just send me an email. Thanks.

Artemis-techie :

yes im here

Artemis-techie :

i am her

Artemis-techie :

here

Customer:

Hey. Can you help me out?

Artemis-techie :

hi there, sure

Customer:

Great.

Artemis-techie :

ok are you gettting the error message on all computers connected to the router

Customer:

yes, on both the desktop and the wireless laptop. it is inconsistent, in that it happens at different times, on different sites.

Artemis-techie :

ok then that means the lies with the router

Artemis-techie :

the problem

Customer:

it is also getting worse lately-the internet has gotten slower and the "drops" are happening more frequently

Artemis-techie :

ok and you have confirmed with you internet service provider that your line is fine?

Customer:

so, do you think we need a new router? we don't mind the expense, just want the internet to start working again and stop having the frustration--yes, we confirmed--i spent time with the provider today

Artemis-techie :

buying a new router is the easiest option, i can talk you through upgrading the firmware if you wish to see if that works

Customer:

Kyle, thank you so much. you are the first person I have talked with who seems to know anything. I have gone through so much and so many people trying to resolve this error message. even microsoft can't help. we'll just get a new modem. hopefully we won't have install problems, but if we do, I'll know where to go! Tell me, do I have to uninstall the old router before I install the new one?

Customer:

Okay, thanks again, I'm signing off.