Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have just purchased a new HP computer. I want to establish…

Customer Question
I have just purchased a...
I have just purchased a new HP computer. I want to establish a network so that I can share files and more importantly printers between my HP computer and my wifes Dell computer The HP uses Windows 7, the Dell Windows XP.

After many Chats with Cisco and HP I am stil not able to set up a workable file sharing network. HP sent me to the How-To-Geek web-site that was supposed to be a step by step procedure on how to do this. I worked my through this procedure clear down to the point where the Dell computer can see the HP 1220 Laserjet Printer tied to my HP computer via a USB connection, but then gives me an error message telling me that my Dell computer does not have a driver for the HP-1220.This was strange since up until last week I had an older model HP Computer using Windows XP and my Dell computer on a hardwired Linksys Wired Router tied together in a network and my Dell had no difficulty in going directly to that printer and printing out documents. That last procedure says to install a driver that has a file extension of .inf. Per HP techs instructions I downloaded all 12 or 13 of the HP 1220's driver files listed on their driver update site. I have not been able to identify out of all these downloaded files exactly the file that is necessary to allow the printer to be accessed. After three days of four and five hour chats I have come to you seek a possible resoulution to my problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/30/2010
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome

First can you please connect the printer to the dell computer.

Make sure on the printer properties under port, it is set to USB.

Perform a print please.

Once this completes, disconnect the printer, connect it back to the HP, and change the printer port on the Dell back to what is originally was.

Then test and let me know if the problem persists please

Sorry it took so long but the HP 1220 Laserjet printer is heavy and bulky and had to be moved about 7 ft. to be plugged into the Dell computer. It worked normally. When I plugged the USB connector into the Dell it instantly recognized the printer and a Word document found the printer and printed the content normally. When I returned the printer back to its original location I rechecked to make sure that it still functioned normally. I then found that the HP computer indicated that it was using the normal LPT1 printer port. So I changed the port to one of the other available ports I believe it was identified as Dot4_001 and added the printer name to the network. Then I made an attempt via the network to use the Dell to print a document from that computer. The Dell instantly saw two sets of available printer selections, the ones that were previously avaliable to it before the new network setup and then when the HP computer was selected it saw all of the current HP printer identifiers. However when the printer identifier that was just setup on the HP computer was selected by the Dell to print a document the following message came up on the Dell, the server for the HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5 does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the printer driver select OK, otherwise click cancel and contact your network administrator or printer manufacturer. Clicking OK results in a message saying The file .INF on (Unknown) is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.
ok, can you tell me the setting of the port on the printer on the DELL please
How do I check that?

You can right click on the printer. Select properties, then select port.

I had already done that. But all that comes up is this:

Computer Name: Charlies-PC

Computer Type: Windows Professional

Workgroup: Workgroup

Note: Charlies-PC is the network identifier for HP Computer.

Hi there,

You need to do this on the printer please.

Click start, devices and printers.

Then you will see the printer. Please right click on that and do it

Under the Hardware selection for the printer it says the printer is located on the HP LaserJet 1220 USB port which in the box above it says that it is a IEE128.4. device. When I click on the location inside the box the bottom Location pops up with the following information: Port_#0007.Hub_#0009 and Device Status: The device is working properly. This information was obtained via the HP START, Devices and Printers. Any other information required? Sorry but I am slow.

ok, for the printer in the properties screen. Can you please click Add Port.

Choose a tcp/ip port and enter in the IP Address of the computer that the printer is connected to please.

If you dont know its IP, on the computer with the printer connected, click start, type in CMD and press enter.

In the black box type in ipconfig and press enter

You can then see the IP Address there

Add the IP Address and click ok, then attempt to print please and let me know if the problem persists

Well first let me perfectly clear on what I am to do. When I do the CMD ipconfig bit I get multiple IP addresses, such as IpV4, IpV6 and Default Gateway. Secondly when I go to the properties screen and click on Add Port I get a Wizard that brings up a screen that requires two entries, the IP address for the printer and the name of the printer.

So I entered the Default Gateway IP address since this is basic IP address for the HP computer. For the name of the printer I entered the full screen name for the printer, HP LaserJet 1220 PCL 5 (Copy 2). The result was that after about thirty seconds of searching an error message came up saying that one or both of the entries I had made were incorrect.

ok, the printer name is XXXXX XXXXX and can be anything you want it to be

The IP Address will be the IP Adress (IP 4) that is listed after IPConfig. This can be different to the Gateway address so if you can please double check this is the right entry and let me know that would be appricated.

Also tell me what it is please

It has changed slightly since the last time I did the ipconfig by adding the following message:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State............:Media disconnected

Connedction-specificd DNS Suffix...:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix..:

Link-local IPv6 Address......fe80::bdde:8d49:5398:7F53%12

IPv4 Address......................192.168.1.111

Subnet Mask.......................255.255.255.0

Default Gateway.................192.168.1.1

So which do I use? If any?

ok, then make sure that 192.168.1.111 is entered as the IP for the port for the printer please
Once again the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard did a search and failed to identify the device.

ok, can you do the following on the DELL please

Click start and type in \\192.168.1.111

press enter and tell me what you see please

I typed in the\\192.168.111 and received a message port not found.

I typed in \\192.168.1.1 and received a the same message

I typed in \\192.168.125 and the printer screen came up.

ok, the last entry, is it 192.168.1.125? as it is missing one number

You are right in my answer I forgot the .1.

ok, use that address for the printer please (192.168.1.125)

I have already tried that in the add port Wizard with the same result that it can not find that device.

ok, i think its best to start from scratch. Are you prepared to do this?

Yes Richard I agree we seem to be going in circles. Could you give me about a fifteen minute break, maybe you need one too? I am sorry but I am not that familiar with all of the processess that go on and I am having trouble getting used to this new computers keyboard which is much smaller than the one on my old HP.

no problem. I'll give you the initial steps and then you reply when your ready

First on the DELL remove the printer and restart the computer.

On both computers I want you to do the ipconfig and tell me the ip address and default gateway refer to them in your post has HP and DELL so i know which is which.

When you say remove the printer from the Dell what is that process?
you can right click on it in device and printers and select remove.

Alright I went into the Dells Control Panel and in the Printers and Faxes I removed the only printer listed and that was the HP 1220 LaserJet Printer that was the device that was installed into the Dell system when I plugged the printer into the Dell's USB port.

The IP addresses are as follows:

Dell:

ip 192.168.1.147

gateway: 192.168.1.1

HP:

ip 192.168.1.125

gateway: 192.168.1.1

thanks,

Now on the dell computer, click start and type in \\192.168.1.125 and press enter.

tell me what you see please

I see all of the HP listed versions of the HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5 printer,

the basic HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5 printer, HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5 (Copy 1) printer, the HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5 printer Copy 2 printer, a Users Folder, and a folder labeled Printers and Faxes.

excellent

Now from the dell, double click on the printer on the HP computer you want and the printer will be installed on the DELL computer.

When its finished you should be able to printer

Please let me know how it goes

Now we are back to the beginning where the error message says the server does not have a driver for that printer.
can you tell me the exact error please and any numbers as well
The server for the "HP LaserJet 1220 Series PCL 5" printer does not have the correct driver installed. If you want the driver installed, click OK. Otherwise click cancel and contact the network administrator or the original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver.
and what happens when you click ok?

Message:

The file ".INF" on (Unknown) is needed.

Type the path where the file is located and then click ok

COPY FILES FROM:

A:\

ok, go to the below link and download the file

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789&prodNameId=29792&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-5579-4

double click and it will extract files from it. You can then point the INF request to this directory. Please do this

Do I download and install the driver to this my HP computer or do I download and install it to my Dell computer?

on the DELL please
I downloaded the files to the Dell computer and when directed by the Copy files from director I attempted to open each of the three main files that were downloaded. Each time the error bell went off and a message came up saying that a suitable driver could not be found.

ok, add the printer on the DELL as you did before we removed it.

Once done, restart and then double click on the printer via the HP please

Let me know how it goes

Once again let me get this straight. Do you want me to physically move the printer to the Dell computer and hook it up to a USB port?
This will establish a computer HP Laserjet 1220 icon on in the list of printers on the Dell computer, and if I remember correctly the title of that printer icon will not be exactly the same as the title of the printer icons located on the HP computer.

no, you can just add it via the local port

Go to deivce and pritners

Click add printer

Choose Local

LPT 1 (the default)

Choose your printer from the list

Give it any name

Click next and let it install

Choose not to share it

When its finished, restart the computer then double click on the printer on the HP please

Double Click the printer on the HP from the HP?

no from the Dell please. Like you did before when you received the file required error
Did that. Same message, find the .INF file

ok, then try going to the printer on the DELL.

Change the port (right click, printer properties)

Add the TCP/IP port and add the IP Address 192.168.1.125

Leave the port name alone

Complete and test it please

Ok. The printer port wizard says it does not recognize the detected devise type an entry in one of two input lines, Standard or Custom. The Standard default is Generic Network Card or a selection arrow with 50 or more different selections, the Custom one was titled settings, unfortnately when I selected the Custom box it started flashing and came up with another box waiting for me to select that printer as my default printer. What do you recommend?
are you able to just choose Generic?
Generic Network Card is the only Generic selection the rest are all specific brand printer hardware or Network Ports. There are three HP Listings, one is Jet Direct, another is Jet Direct Ex (multi-port), and Jet Direct Ex (singl-port)

ok, Im not sure why its doing this, and have not seen this behaviour before.

Unfortunately I will have to opt out.

But another expert can resume this case with a different approach.

Sorry I could not solve this for you

Richard thanks for the assistance you have given me.
Network Technician: Justin, Certified Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Certified Networking Engineer
I've seen this exact same issue before. Looks like you guys tried almost everything but I'll take a stab at it.

First, is the Windows 7 machine running 64-bit? If this was covered I apologize.

Go to start, in the search box type DXDIAG, hit enter. On the first screen, next to operating system, it should say the version of windows you are using.

If you could provide me the current share name of the printer that should have been made on the HP.

Also confirm that the IP of the HP is 192.168.1.125

Just wanted to make sure I digested all this info.
Alright. The OPS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600 The default printer in the HP is the HP Laserjet 1220 PCL 5 (Copy 2), IP ADDRESS IS CORRECT
I'm leaving this as an answer but please do NOT accept until its working. I'll continue to work with you further should the following not remedy this.

Excellent.

Here's what I need you to do. I've set this exact thing up multiple times and have run across the exact same problem. Its the order in which you have to do these things that will make it work. My time is short tonight, but if this doesn't work, I'll be tomorrow all day to continue. Also you've obviously been into the settings a million times so I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible.

I'm currently on a Windows 7 machine so a lot of this is going to be from memory.

On the dell, remove all the printers listed there. Just go to control panel, printers. Highlight each one, click the delete key. Most importantly the instances of the shared/hp laserjet.

Download the XP drivers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=295945&prodNameId=29796&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-5579-4

Install them WITHOUT the printer plugged into the Dell machine, you shouldn't need to plug that printer into the dell at all.

On the Windows 7 machine, the HP. I need you to go to control panel, printers. Right click on the laserjet, click properties (or sharing), then in properties look for sharing. Remember that share name. Name whatever you like really.

Ok back to the Dell machine, we've installed the drivers now.

Now we want to add the share. We do NOT want to use any of the searching portions of the add printer. We want to manually do it by share name. So go to add printer, click network printer. Look for the option to put in share name, it should look like this:

\\192.168.1.125\SHARENAME Sharename being whatever you named it.

Then you'll click next, you do NOT want to install the driver automatically, you want to manually choose the driver to install and you're looking for "list of drivers"

You'll get a TON of choices, go to HP, select your driver, click next.

I'm sorry for the lack of description, but I figured I'd get you started on it and I'll clean it up tomorrow should you get stuck anywhere. Just remember, you do not want it to install the driver automatically, it will not get the right one by default even if the Windows 7 machine has the proper drivers loaded into it to distribute. I don't know if its a bug or what.

The method we're trying to do here is to install via the network, but use local drivers that you downloaded on the XP machine.

Please let me know if you get stuck anywhere

I have completed the steps in the order that you specified and am now at the point where the Dell computer add-a-printer wizard has identified that the server does not have a suitable printer driver installed. I did notice in the process if in the network map if I double click on the Dell icon three printer-icons show up that cannot be removed by the right click process. Double clicking the HP network icon displays all of the printers possibly available on the HP including the established "shared printer name". In all of the process of redoing everything I became a little nervous about my network setup. Even though I apparently can establish a communications link between the two computers the HP computer Windows 7 network on more than one occasion has implied that there is a password XXXXX to access the network. Also which is also a little disconcerting is the fact that sometimes when I call up the net work from either computer the network map only shows the icon of the computer being accessed and not of both computers on the network. Then if I call up the network map on the HP after about 30 seconds both computer icons will show up on both computers. Maybe this is not a serious matter.

Not particularly, you have virus protection firewalls I'm assuming, not to mention Windows 7 is a little pretty finnicky.

I'll be at a place soon where I can be in front of XP machine and give you much more accurate directions. But the most important step was not allowing it to try to autoinstall the printer, we need to select from the driver cache.
Ok! I have noticed that if both computer icons are not present on both computers when viewing the network then calling up the shared printer is not possible via the add printer wizard on the Dell computer.
I'm waiting. My network communications from the Dell to the HP is not there at present, don't know why. The HP to the Dell seems to be intact.
Windows 7 requires a few little changes to make it open to your internal network, we'll apply those as well.

As I said before, I've gone through this EXACT same issue, so I'm confident we'll get all that worked out shortly. I just can't find anything online that's descriptive enough so I need to be in front of an XP machine this afternoon to show you exactly the steps that need to be placed. Thanks for being patient.

In the meantime, confirm the no password XXXXX

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

The rest of the article has been done I believe but make sure the Windows 7 machine has the appropriate share settings. To help speed this along as well give me the printer SHARE name you're going to use. You can see this in the share tab on the printer preferences, if you can't find it let me know.

Also, what firewall software are you using? Virus scanners?

Edited by jnayes on 7/1/2010 at 4:39 PM EST

Printer share name Charlies Shared Printer. As of now the Dell is recognizing that the shared printer is present on the HP computer, but it does not have a suitable driver.

Good, that's where we want to be. Hang there till I can create my own directions with pictures as the order and method has to be exact.

Also, it would be better if you renamed the share name to something shorter and without spaces if that's possible as we're going to be manually creating the connection.
Will do.
Alright, finally in front of an XP machine.

I noticed about you tried a direct IP set, I'd like to give that a shot first before we start messing with the other properties.

You have a tcp/ip (generic network card) port created for 192.168.1.125.

Uncheck automatically detect and install my printer, but keep local printer attached to my computer as the selection.

Click next. Where it says LPT1, select the local port that is 192.168.1.125 (it should be listed as that in there). Click next. A new screen will pop up with a ton of selections regarding drivers. Find the HP ones we installed earlier for that specific model. Click next.

Post the results let me know where and if you get stuck, and we'll continue from there. May have to get creative on this one.
OK! I had to be away for a few minutes so I am behind. First I believe that I need to somehow get my Dell Computer to see the HP computer on its network. At the moment it does not. The HP shows both computers and can access the files present on the Dell computer. The network map on the Dell computer just shows the Dell computer icon.
That previous link I gave you should open the settings for Windows 7.

However, I believe its already open as it asks for a driver. So I recommend trying the steps I gave you to the printer first before we continue. Afterwards, I will help you get both machines talking to each other openly.

One problem at a time =)
I just want to be sure since the add a printer wizard using the IP address only works when there clearly is visual tie between the two computers. But just check that I will repeat the IP address printer name call-up now and see if calls up the HP printer before I send you this response. I tried the add-a-printer with only an error message saying that Windows cannot connect to that printer.
If you want to make sure there's communication between the two machines, you can do the following.

click start, type cmd, hit enter.

type

ping 192.168.1.125

Hit enter. It'll reply. If you followed that link I gave you and made the appropriate changes in Windows 7, it should be ready to receive a connection regardless of whether wins/etc is working. Also did you say you had any firewall/virus scanner on the Windows 7 machine?
Did the ping-4 32bit packets sent Received 0, Lost 4 after 4 time-outs
The ip address of the windows 7 machine might have changed.

Can you go to that machine please, click start, in the search box type cmd, hit enter.

In the new window, type ipconfig /all

Hit enter, right click, mark. Highlight everything, right click again. Paste the results here.

Remember, do this on the windows 7 machine.
While you were off I rechecked the IP Config it is now 192.168.1.102. I redid the ad printer wizard and am now back in the position of it wanting a print driver. Do I click OK there or cancel?
Depends on how you did the steps.

You created a new port to 192.168.1.102 correct?

Then you added a local printer, etc, following those steps exactly. What exactly does it give you in choices and whats it asking.

On my XP pro machine right here, after doing the steps I did, it gives me a list of drivers to choose from and brands. That's the screen we need to get you to.
I am at the drivers screen with a list of drivers. Which driver am I looking for since I'm not sure that when I downloaded and decompressed the driver files that they put them in this folder.
Ok good,

Select the vendor/maker as HP.

And then look for laserjet 1220

Or 1220 laserjet

Once you find it, click next and continue the installation.
I did not get to that screen. Since you are an XP I believe that I should be looking for the listing that you are looking at on the Dell computer. However, when I click OK I get a screen that wants me to browse for the files which is looking for a .INF file.
Look at this real quick, these are the EXACT steps I need you to do. With visuals, been looking for this page for awhile haha sorry.

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

See if you missed something in those steps. I would actually repeat them perfectly so we can get to the proper screen. Don't you just love Microsoft and how it wants you to do it 10 different ways !
Let me be sure as to what I am doing. I am going to go to the Printers and Faxes in my Dell computer using XP and click on Add a Computer and as far as the Wizard is concerned I am going to assume that the HP 1220 printer that is connected directly to the HP Computer via a USB connection is actually a local printer on my Dell Computer, and not a network printer or a printer tied to another computer, is this correct.
That's correct. Its like a "trick" you're creating a virtual TCP connection as a local port on your computer. This will allow us to specify the drivers rather than using the "host's drivers" which in this case would be 64-bit windows drivers. Its a glitch, it really is. And I've set this up a couple times for clients with the same setup.

In the end, you'll be printing from the dell, using the HP connected to the Windows 7 HP machine.

That site describes the methods I tried to word out, in better detail, and with pictures. Let me know if you're able to follow it and get a print page going
I actually tried this on my own in one of my all night sessions and only had trouble when it came to identifying the right ports to use. My computer experience is low intermediate when it comes to Windows. I will pursue the avenue described.
Ya give it a shot, that site will be of great help if you get stuck, but I'm here too.

You're doing fine so far, its difficult to get people to even use the cmd/ ping command properly at times.

This is also a fairly common issue that as far as I know most people have trouble fixing. I just got lucky one day screwing around with a this setup and it ended up helping a lot of my clients that experienced the same issue.
What do I use for the Port name?
Port name will be created when you type in the IP. Just type in the IP on the above part and let the bottom part fill itself out.

We're also going to have to bind the Windows 7 machine to the 192.168.1.102 IP after we get this working so it doesn't change on you again.
I tried this twice by just typing in the 192.168.1.102 IP address and a printer was installed but it was not the printer on the HP computer and of course it did not pass the print test. Suggestions?
It didn't bring you to the selection screen that looks like this?

graphic

Yes it did. And I picked the only 1220 LaserJet PCL file listed. Those two attempts are now in the process of being deleted.

Leave one of the printers installed that you've done this method.

As it installed properly, we're getting there.

Now, does it say offline under it? Is it grey'd out?

If they aren't, right click the printer, go to properties, click print test page. What happens? Is there a queue on the bottom right of your computer near the time?
I think I messed up the port identification. The printer installation is using an existing driver to install however it is not making it's way over to the HP computer. It failed three print attempts.
Instead of using the existing driver, perhaps try replacing the driver.

I'm currently working on another method that involves the Windows 7 portion.

Give that a shot (replacing the existing one) and attempt another test page. Post back here. I should have a different method by the time you get back.

Furthermore, if we HAVE to, we can actually find the drivers and the location of the INF file and go that route but its a pain.

I already tried that to once with the existing once without. The whole is driving me nuts. Each time I try this I have to come up with a new port name which is intuitively wrong.

Perhaps the Windows 7 has a way to add additional drivers on that side of the equation.

That's the next step I was going to suggest.

To do this you need to right click the the printer and go to properties (on the Windows 7 machine),

Click the sharing tab. Select additional drivers. Select x86 (selecting all of them doesn't hurt anything).

Then go back to the initial way you connected to the printer (finding it over the network and just double clicking it).

Let me know if you need me to be a bit more descriptive on this one. Really you want to get back to the initial thing you did to connect where it said "don't have the proper driver"

The reason I didn't go this route before, as since its an HP, it rarely works. But give it a shot.
Well it certainly is not easier since I have been unable to find any drivers.
You weren't able to find the drivers tab?

Or drivers in general? Or are the options greyed out (most common thing)?

Need to clarify, I know this is frustrating, and I want to get it working for you so please more details the better.
I found the drivers list with none that met the .INF criteria . It has been another long day and the wife wants to read her e-mails on the Dell computer so I am going to just continue to look for drivers to install . It would of course be a lot nicer if I knew what the name of the driver was no I would recognize it when I see it.
Oh no, what i'm saying is.

Here i'll explain.

By default, when a printer is shared, it only shares the driver for the "compatible operating system" in this case. So your windows 7 machine is trying to share its 64-bit driver to anything that wants to connect. This is where the problem is.

In the properties of the printer, you can tell the Windows 7 machine to share the 32-bit driver as well.

I'll be in front of a windows 7 machine shortly if you want to try that. Its a fairly easy switch. The problem with HP drivers is they install in bulk as a package, so they may not have even installed the 32-bit portion. We can actually force it to if need be, but I'd like to confirm if they're even there.

When you're available and want to try this let me know.
Justin, I think I am going to call it a day. As it is after three straight days of this I am seeing this stuff in my sleep, what there is of it. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I am sure you have better things to do than solving this problem.
I don't mind. If you feel up for it anytime just update as needed.
The Printer is still not available to the network computer. As I mentioned in one of my previous messages the HP computer does not show up on the Dell computer network map 100% of the time. When it does not show up then access to shared files on the HP are not available. However, when that situation exists the Dell files are still available to the HP computer. Do you think that there is much point in pursuing this matter further?
I guess since I have not gotten a reply by now, that no one is interested trying to solve this problem any more, is this correct?

Hi there, me again.

I have come up with one more idea if you are willing to try.

On the dell, set the printer up locally but instead of USB choose LPT2

Make sure the printer is printing correctly and everything is working.

Then move the printer back to the HP computer and connect it up.

Now on the DELL, clist start, type in CMD and press shift+ctrl+enter

In the black box type in the following

net use LPT2 \\computername\sharedprintername /persistent:yes

Change computer name and shared printer name with your own values of the computer doing the sharing and the share name you assigned.

this will then change it to a network printer without having to install, and may bypass this problem. Try to print then and let me know how it goes please.

Richard,

Welcome back. That was one experiment that we did not try. However, after the many hours of torment trying to resolve the problem I decided to just purchase a small deskjet printer to use on my wifes Dell computer which will work just fine for small immediate projects. For the larger ones I will just have to go through the extra step of accessing her computer files via the network and printing them via my HP computer. Further, while I was installing the new deskjet the driver file name clicked in my mind as being familiar for some reason, so I went back through my lengthy hardware installation notes and found that when I first attempted to install the HP 1220 printer on the HP computer that Windows 7 had no direct compatible driver for that printer using the 64 bit system, but did have another driver that would work which was a HP Deskjet 5500 driver. After installing that driver on the HP the installation went smoothly. Out of curiosity I check the properties of the HP LaserJet 1220 printer found in the driver section of Windows 7 and duly noted that through some process that Windows 7 uses the printer was using the 1220 driver files. How all that works I have not a clue. So to conclude this lengthy dissertation I believe that going through the exercise (literally) of disconnecting the rather large 1220 printer and carrying it over to another room, hooking it up, confirming it's operation, and hauling it back again to my HP is a lot more than I want to tackle today, my 73 year-old body has it's limits. Being an ex-systems engineer I am curious though as to the process of using LTP2 instead of USB in the installation.

well its just I had a similar problem the other day, and this resolved it.

Dont know why I thought of it before, but very curious to see if it works.

Maybe you can just add the printer without connecting it, then try ?

I gave that a try but the response from the CMD was that the network name cannot be found. I believe that this is related to the problem I have of not always being able to directly connect to the HP computer using the XP system. At present when I call up network on the Dell I can only see the Dell icon. I know the network is actually there because I have an auxillary program from CISCO called Network Magic that clearly shows a network map of all network devices being operational. Further, from the HP I can directly communicate to the Dells files.

so if you type in \\computer name it opens a window?

Are you referring to typing just the HP Computer name in the CMD?
from start please \\hp computer name and note the printer name that shows
I am not sure exactly of what you asked, but if I type in Charlies-PC in the HP start, I get a window showing all of the various printe names assigned in the past to the 1220, the current printer name Charlies, plus two folders Documents Share and Users Share

ok, then on the dell computer with the printer installed on port LPT2, click start, run and type in CMD

Then in the black box type in the exact below

net use LPT2 \\Charlies-PC\Charlies /persistent:yes

Press enter and test please

I still get the same error report from the Dell, network name cannot be found. Is it the LPT2 entry that is causing the problem. Does something have to be done at the Dell end to recognize the HP LPT2 as a net workname, or am I just getting confused.

ok do the following

At the printer on the DELL like we did before but choose the port LPT2

Once done then do the following please

click start, run and type in CMD

net use LPT2 http://file////Charlies-PC/Charlies /persistent:yes

How do I set up a printer on LPT2 Port on the Dell computer. The add a printer is a wizard that immediately wants the driver software identified.

ok the DELL

Go to deivce and printers

Click add printer

Choose Local

LPT 2

Choose your printer from the list

Give it any name

Click next and let it install

Choose not to share it

This time I received an error message saying that the network resource type is not correct.

can you restart the comptuter and keep pressing F8 until you see safe mode with networking

Then try please

Interesting Black Screen-In safe mode with networking
ok that shouldnt happen, also with just safe mode?
The screen is a perfectly functioning screen except the wallpaper is no longer there, screen background is black, all of the normal desktop icons are there except now there is Microsoft Build Number printed out on the top of the screen, and the lower left hand corner there is the Notation "Safe Mode". I tried several functions MS Word, Excel, and now on the workgroup network screen both Charlies-PC and the Dell PC appear.
ok, try to use the command I gave and then print please

It still comes comes back with Network Name could not be found.

ok, use 192.168.1.125 instead of the computer name please

Did that same result. I also checked doing it with the current ipconfig address of the HP computer same result, the network name cannot be found.

ok then sorry but that was the last idea i had.

Take care

I'm back again. Apparently in one of many attempts to tie my HP LaserJet to my network one of the things that we tried took away my ability to communicate and use that printer from my new HP. I tried to no avail yesterday to get it to work but when I send a test page it always comes up with an error message or sometimes it just sits there in the status screen for ten or more minutes without printing. Obviously I am interested in getting it to work
Can you tell me the error message please?
I don't believe that it gave details of the error since it was contained in the status bar. But I will check it again and see.

Here is the situation. I tried on my own to re-establish communications between my computer and my printer with no success. So I decided after several trouble shooting attempts to just eliminate all three of HP 1220 LaserJet printers that appeared on the device screen, and start from scratch. I then unplugged my printers USB connection to the computer and then plugged it back in the hope that the
Windows program would automatically reinstall it as a plug-in device. Unfortunately it did just that. It reinstalled my three-in-one as a scanner and not as a printer. At that point I just gave up. So now I am stuck with my printer showing up as a scanner (that I have no need for) and my HP photosmart printer as the default printer. That is not a desirable configuration. I hate being such a pain in the neck but since HP has no desire to do anything but direct me to their standard troubleshooting page which has been no help at all, I am back here bugging you guys. I have totally given up on the idea of setting this printer up on my home network.

Your not bugging us, please dont think that

What happens when you re-run the HP installation software for the printer?

I have resolved all of the issues on my HP computer in that both my printers are running properly. It turned out that both printers were attempting to reinstall themselves into the same port. So manual installationsl were necessary to prevent this. My network is working just fine as far as sharing files. Since my Dell now has its own printer things as of last evening were running pretty smoothly.
ok, you want to try having the HP printer work over the network?
I think it best since things are running smoothly to just leave the printer issue as is. My biggest issue now is just sorting out how Windows 7 organizes and stores new files and how it has stored my transferred file. It is taking most of my time sorting out where everything is, and going through all of my previous applications and getting updates for those that need them for working with Windows 7 and deleting those that will not work with that operating system. I appreciate your efforts in attempting to resolve the original issue, and I am sure that somewhere in the process there is a proper sequence of operations and installations to establish communications between my two computers for sharing printers. I currently have my brain filled to the brink with learning where everything is in Windows 7 and my new installation of Office 2007. Expanded capabilities always seem to introduce a steeper learning curve.

ok, then I think these are helpful for you

If you need to know anything else please let me know and enjoy!

Richard, Network Specialist