Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Hello! My Linksys router is not showing the wireless network…

Customer Question
Hello! My Linksys router...
Hello! My Linksys router is not showing the wireless network all of a sudden. I can hardwire to my computer just fine, but I cannot see the network. Can you help?

Thank you!
Michael Duff
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/29/2010
Network Technician: Andy Kalita, System Administrator replied 8 years ago
Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Hi, I can help you with this. Do you have any other computers connecting to this wireless, in addition to this Mac? What is the model of your LInksys wireless router?
We use 3 laptops and 3 iphones usually on this router. I also have a printer hooked up to it so we can all print. The model is WRT546

Sorry for delay, for some reason I didn't get email update that you posted a reply... Are all the rest of the computers connecting to the wireless fine at the moment (at least the ones that you can immediately test), except the Mac in question?

Any computer that I connect with a CAT-5 cable works fine, but none of the computers or the iphones can see the wireless network.

Ok, here's what I would suggest you do first:

1. Make sure the LInksys router is turned on
  2. While it's turned on, locate the reset button on the back of the router, then press and hold it for 30 seconds (you'll have to use paper clip or similar object)
  3. After that, release the button and give router a minute to come online
  4. Now, try connecting to your wireless - it should now be unsecured Linksys wireless network, and no password XXXXX XXXXX
  5. After you connect, post back here and we'll go through security setup. If you're still not able to see the wireless after reset, your router's wireless radio is likely dead.

I know you've said you reset it already, but i always like to start from clean slate, and do proper reset procedure. Once again, if after reset, you still don't see unsecured Linksys wireless, your router's wireless radio is dead, and while CAT5 connections will still work, the wireless won't, so you will need to purchase a new router.

If this answer was helpful to you, please click Accept.

I'm going to leave my desk, so will be unavailable for next few hours. I will check back later tonight to check on any updates from you.