Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Im trying to install your Model No. WUSB54GCV3 network adapter.

Customer Question
I'm trying to install your...
I'm trying to install your Model No. WUSB54GCV3 network adapter. The adapter is recognized and it appears to be almost completely installed and then stops with an Error Message 211.

A retired computer repairman and I both have tried several times but cannot get past that point. I've tried it with and w/o the firewall.

What do I do next??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/29/2010
Network Technician: Andy Kalita, System Administrator replied 8 years ago
Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Hi, I can help you with this. Have you tried using different USB port? Is this new adapter, or has it been used before?
No, hadn't thought about that. Should I reroute it to a different one and then rerun the program or?? It is a new adapter just purchased a month or two ago and I've been trying off and on since to get it going.

Carl

Let's try these steps on this computer in question:

1. Uninstall any Linksys software installed as part of the device installation process
  2. Pull the adapter out of the USB port and turn the computer off
  3. Plug the adapter into a different USB port and turn the computer on
  4. Let the computer boot into the Windows and wait until you get an Add New Hardware wizard.
  5. Insert the CD that came with the adapter into the CD drive, but as soon as it automatically starts up a Setup, cancel it and leave it in the drive
  6. Now, follow steps on the Add New Hardware wizard to install your adapter, and when asked to provide the driver, point the wizard to the CD drive.

This is a little different than installing the driver using Linksys Setup, because it doesn't install all the associated LInksys software, that you don't need. Also, this way, Windows will be your default connectivity provider, so you won't need to use Linksys software to connect.

If this answer was helfpul to you, please click Accept.

I have a luncheon appointment soon. I've already done some of what you suggest but will follow through with the rest a.s.a.p. How may I get back to you if I don't succeed then?
Thanks for your help though. It looks good and I'll accept it for now.

Carl
You can always post back here, for any follow up questions. Just leave page open, or login and use My Questions link at the top.

Edited by Andy Kalita on 6/29/2010 at 6:40 PM EST
Many Thanks.

Carl
No problem. I'll be here til 5:30pm EST, or tomorrow morning.
Sorry Andy I didn't get back sooner. l followed thru on your suggestions. However, when it started up again with the adapter plugged in, it never would come up with "Add New Hardware wizard.

I went into Cisco troubleshooting menu and noted that it required the SP3. We had our pc checked out recently and the technician removed the SP3. So last evening I reinstalled it.

I ran thru your procedure it still did not recognize the adapter. I then tried the install program on the CD and again only got as far as Error 211.

In checking again for previously linksys programs, I could not find any in using the removal procedure. In checking drivers on line, I found three: C:\Windows\system 32\Drivers\/wYS//b54/gc/v3/sys and also RAPolnst.dat and RaColnst.dll with the same recorded date. I didn't try to remove.

If I check out Windows Explorer, I do not find that drive listed at all with the adapter installed. I have it inserted and it is blinking as I assume it's picking up signals from the router o.k.

Any further suggestions??

Carl

Can you please check the device manager:

1. Hit Windows and R keys together
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter
  3. Locate Network Adapters and click "+" next to it to expand it
  4. Let me know if Linksys is listed in there, and whether or not it has red "X" or yellow triangle with exclamation mark next to it.
  5. Also, look for Other Devices section in that window, and see what's listed under it. Let me know what you find.

Also, go to Control Panel and double click on Add/Remove Programs. Go down the list (it should be sorted alphabetically) and see if there are any Linksys programs listed. If there are, select them and click Uninstall. Also, let me know what you find.

Under Network Adapters:
Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (I have the 2 pcs hardwired with the router)

As before, there is no listing of any Linksys (or Cisco) programs under Add/Remove Programs.

Carl

Ok, if you didn't see Other Devices, and no devices in Network Adapters have any red "x"s or yellow exclamation marks, it looks like the driver for this adapter is actually installed. It makes me think that perhaps you get that 211 error when LInksys tries to install additional software (hence, it never gets that far, and you don't see it in Add/Remove Programs).

Can you please try the following:

1. On this computer in question, hit Windows and R keys together
  2. Type services.msc and hit Enter
  3. Scroll down the list, and make sure Wireless Zero Configuration service is started. If not, double click it, start it, and set the start up type to Automatic and click Ok.
  4. Hit Windows and R keys together again
  5. Type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter
  6. Right click on Wireless Connection and click View Available Networks
  7. In window that pops up, select your wireless and click Connect button
  8. When/if prompted, enter security info (network key/passphrase) to connect to the wireless

I'm not sure if you've already tried it and it didn't work, but it doesn't hurt to try it the proper way.

If this answer was helpful to you, please click Accept.

Item 3. the Wireless Zero Configuration service was already "started". Did not change.

Item 5-6 Do not find "Wireless Connection" as one on the list and not as a subhead under any of the listings.

Carl
Hmm, i'm sorry but i'm out of ideas on this one. I'll opt out of the question, which will open it up to other experts.
Andy,

Many thanks for trying.

Carl

P S Need to take off now. Will have to be gone for several hours so won't get back to your other experts until later today.
Network Technician: Ryan B., Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Network Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.'

If you ever encounter the following error when you are setting up your adapter with the Setup CD in Windows, you do not have to worry about not being able to use the adapter. All you need to do is to follow this article to learn how to manually install the driver yourself. It is easy, and it only takes minutes to complete the process!

NOTE: If this error occurs during your installation, click Exit, remove the CD, and reboot your computer.

1. Click the link below to download the WUSB54GC V3 Driver for Windows XP.
http://mytinyurl.net/414420

2. After downloading the driver, it will be saved to your desktop by default, unzip and extract the file.

3. Plug in the Network Adapter in your computer. Go to your Device Manager and search for the Network Adapter. You will see an (!) mark next to your adapter because the driver has not been installed yet.

4. Right-click on the Network Adapter and select Update Driver.

5. In the screen that opens click on "no not at this time" then click next

6. In the next screen click on "Install from a list or specific location" then click next.

7. Click on "don't search I will choose the driver to install" then click next.

8. Click on "have disk" then click on "browse" and browse to the spot that you downloaded the driver(most likely your desktop) then double click on the driver icon listed there.

9. After selecting the file, the driver will be installed automatically.

10. A screen may popup stating that the install is successful, now click close and you should be able to connect to the internet.
Hi Ryan,

Wondering if maybe the program rec'd (v3) might not work on Windows XP Sp3 and therefore an upgrade might be helpful.

I've tried to locate an upgrade but w/o any success.

Any suggestions?

Carl
Ryan,

Sorry -- prior to my last message (above), I hadn't properly read your response.
In the meantime, I've tried to work through it -- actually a couple times but keep coming up to the same message when I try to install the program downloaded.

The file saved to my Desktop is actually only an information file but checking around abit further I've found the WUSB54GC V3 for Windows XP. However, when I start to install a warning from Mirosoft flashes up with "strongly recommend" to stop as damage now or later will result. Thus, I got scared out.

Any further suggestions?

Carl
Thank you for the reply.

Please try the procedure one more time but this time using the download and use the driver from the link below:

http://mytinyurl.net/8444fe
This is a follow-up,did that work for you?
Hi Ryan ~~

Sorry to string you along like this but I'm having major problems -- mostly in getting the time to work on this. In the meantime though I have spent an excessive amount of time in the process.

However, I've tried working thru your last suggestion several times w/o success.
When I down load from the reference you give, it appears on my desktop. When I unzip it, it unzipps into C: LinksysDriver. But before I unzip the file, I've gone back using "search" on the C: drive and deleted everything I can find with any reference to Linksys or "USB**" files that appear to relate.

Using Setup I can identify that WUSB54GC... is running o.k. up until the point where it calls for me to insert the adapter. From that point on I can't seem to find the proper file to run.

Originally, way back about a week ago when I first started this process, when I woud plug in the adapter, it would blink continually as if receiving/sending signals. Now I see no life in it. Have I fouled it up??

Also, I noted somewhere along the line that the adapter operates at 2.4 GHz. I have found out in other activities that the 2.4 is pretty much out of date. My modem/router is a Verizon's Westell model 7500. I think it's rated at 6.0GHz?? Thus, I'm wondering if the two are even compatible??

Any further thoughts???

Frustratedly,
Carl
So you get stuck at step 3, is that correct?
Hi Ryan ~~

I usually get down to 9 o.k. though my memus are a bit different than as you describe.

Using your latest suggestion, I use WQUSB54GC_20051228_dr. and then download it and unzip it. The unzipped files go to C:Lindsys Driver.

I look up the Network Adapter and find only 802.11.g WLAN with the yellow ! .

As in step 4 I select Update Driver. I get several options:
Install Automatically
Install from list or specific location with
Search for CD disk...
Include the locationin search
C:\LinksysDriver\WUSB54...
Don't search, I will choose --- which is the one I select.
8 Next I need to select Hardware Type and I check Disk Drives
which then brings up the Have Disk which I check.
I brouse to select C:\Lisksys Driver\WUSB54GC_GC_20081228

Selecting that particular file or any other files within the folder C:\Linksys Driver
produces the message "This specified location does not contain information about your hardward".

????????????????????????????????????

Carl
thank you for the reply, that is very strange. Unfortunately, i'm out of ideas. not sure whats causing that. I am going to opt-out and open your question up to the other experts.
Thanks for all your efforts.

Carl

PS The "REPLY" on the e-mail or the smaller one below it does activate this screen. However one of the links at the very bottom brought me here.
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome.

Can you please do the following for me.

Remove the adapter from the computer and uninstall any traces of it please.

Restart the computer and keep pressing F8 until a menu appears. Choose safe mode

When windows loads, connect the adapter and attempt and installation. If it succeeds restart the computer normal and test.

Please let me know if you are still having difficulties.

Richard, Network Specialist
Thanks -- evidently that was the stickler's solution as it went through to completion and the adapter being recognized by going with the safe mode.

I've tried (several times to follow the pc instructions) to get it to recognize the basic pc to which the modem is connected but w /o success. I have a friend who's used to making those connections so will call on him.

Ryan especially tried hard to help but you were able to answer my original question about installation. We've all spent a lot of time on this so far but I don't have time now to go any further so need to drop it for now.

It appears that my account has already been charged and thus I don't expect any further charges.

Carl
Hello Carl, Thanks for the response. I just wanted to reply back one more time and let you know that we didn't charge you or take your money, you actually made a deposit into your Just Answer account and the fund remain in there till either 1 of 2 options happen.

1) You are satisfied and click accept then Just Answer and the Expert get paid..
2) You are not satisfied and want a refund then we refund the deposit.

Thanks,
Ryan B.