Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

When my router is hooked up I can get the internet on the wireless,

Customer Question
but not on the host...
When my router is hooked up I can get the internet on the wireless, but not on the host computer. When I unhook the router and am connected directly to the modem, I can get the internet on the host computer. I have checked the cable running between the router and the modem and it is fine. I have reinstalled the router. No change. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/29/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please tell me the make and model of the router?
Are you using laptop?
Please tell me the operating system do you have on this computer? xp, vista or windows
Linkysis wireless inhome router WRT150N. Windows 2000 operating systems. Computer dependent upon direct connection to DSL is Desktop. Wireless computer is laptop.
You have two computers. One is desktop and one is laptop. Host computer is desktop and other is laptop. correct!
Yes...when router is hooked up internet is available only on wireless laptop. Router is not new. Problem is new.
Okay, please check if the cable is going from the Modem to the Internet/WAN port of the Router.

Now, connect an ethernet cable from the any of the 4 ports(these ports are situated together), to the computer.(desktop computer).

Now, check if you are able to go online or not.

Now please reset your linksys router as under:

Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
Locate , on the back of your router, the small button that reads Reset
Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
Wait for your Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on. (On the router)
Plug in or turn on your modem.(if it is separate from the router).

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
I'll try it when I get home. Thank you.
Thank you for your patience.