Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

my computer says local only and wont connect to the inter…

Customer Question
my computer says local only...
my computer says local only and won't connect to the internet
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/29/2010
Network Technician: Matthew J, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Matthew J
Matthew J, Computer Support Specialist
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you with this today. I see from your notes that you have connected the laptop directly to access the internet...are you connected directly to the modem then, bypassing the router?

What is the manufacturer and model number of the router?

Also, do you normally connect wirelessly? If so, do you use wireless security?

Please answer these four questions to give me a better idea of what the problem might be.

Thanks,
Matthew

1-yes I have the cable bypassing the router and inserted directly to the lap top

2- linksys model # XXXXX v.3

3- yes only wirelessly usually and yes I use security

Thank you for the information. What we will need to do to restore the connection through the router is reset the router to factory defaults. The process should take about 15 minutes, including setting the routers security back up.

Before we start, do you have another network cable? Also, do you have another computer available? Both of these items would make the process easier, however we can do without them.

Lastly, what type of wireless security are you using (WEP, WPA, etc)?

Thanks,
Matthew

I have another network cable (ethernet) but not another computer

Okay, that's not a problem. What type of wireless security do you currently employ? WEP, WPA, etc?
not sure
That's fine. We can proceed. The extra network cable you have, that is in addition to the one running between the modem and the router, correct? We need one which is not part of the normal setup you use.

Thanks,
Matthew

yes

Excellent. Please do the following:

With the router plugged in and turned on, press and hold down the reset button on the back. You will need something like a paper clip or pin in order to press the button. You will need to hold it down until the lights on the front of the router turn off briefly (like it is restarting). Once that happens, let go of the reset button. Usually you have to hold it down anywhere from 10-30 seconds for the lights to flash off/on.

Once you have done that, please reconnect the modem to the router, and plug the extra network cable from the router to your computer.

Turn off all three devices (you will have to unplug the modem and router).

Plug the modem in, and allow it to completely boot up before proceeding.

Next, plug the router in and allow it to completely boot up before proceeding.

Last, turn the computer on. Open your internet browser and come back to this question using the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3okow-my-computer-says-local-only-and-wont-connect-to-the-inter

You can also get back to the question by opening your email and clicking on the link in the email from this info request.

Once you have done these things please reply back to me and let me know. You should be replying once you have reset the router, rebooted all three devices, and have the computer plugged into the router which is plugged into the modem.

Thanks,
Matthew
Sure it might not be right now though as my kids just woke up--is that ok
Network Technician: RichardL, Computer Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
RichardL
RichardL, Computer Systems Engineer

[OPTED OUT] Hello - Before resetting your router (somewhat involved) - try this:

The problem may be simply that your Network Card (wireless) is set to a static IP rather than DHCP, therefore it cannot get a public address and can't communicate outside. Check by following these instructions:

(** IMPORTANT: In Step 3, choose your wireless connection instead **):

http://www.liv.ac.uk/csd/dhcp/vista.htm

(** NOTE that your IPv4 address may be slightly different)

If your wireless network was set to "Obtain an IP address automatically", then ignore this and continue with the other answer.

Edited by RichardL on 6/29/2010 at 4:27 PM EST