Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Why does my router continually stop working.. the problem…

Why does my router continually...
Why does my router continually stop working.. the problem gets worse (more frequently), when the wireless security (WEP), is enabled?

router is a linksys WRT54G
6/29/2010
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome.

Can you please tell me how it stops working (lose wireless, or internet connectivity)? Do you receive any error messages?

Thank you

router becomes totally unresponsive. I cannot even load up the routers admin pages without power cycling it.. it's as if it locks up

ok, I see you have done a reset, but I believe a factory reset is needed to clean the router.

Please note that doing so will remove the wireless and you will need to set it up again.

To do this follow the below please

Hold the reset button in for 20 seconds. Unplug the power and wait 1 minute, plug in the power.

Connect your computer to the router via a cable, restart the computer then type in http://192.168.1.1.

Username is blank (nothing) and password XXXXX admin

Re-setup your wireless and any special settings you had, test and please let me know if the problem persists.

I am sorry. I thought that I indicated that I have done this type of reset in my inital question/query.

The problem has persisted for many months and I'm about to decide that this router needs to be replaced, however, I'm hoping that there's some router setting or something-else that can to be adjusted; MTU's lowered for example --Networking is not my forte.

You can lower the MTU (in advance settings on the router) but this will not fix it.

There is a problem with the router as you should not have any difficulties after doing a factory reset.

I advise you to have the router replaced, as it looks to be a hardware fault on the router causing this problem.

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Richard, Network Specialist

Ah well, should have went with my gut instinct. but at least now I can tell the wife I tried everything before shelling out +/- $70 for another Router.

Thanks

you mean $6? :-)

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-by-cisco-wrt54g-wireless-g-broadband-router-wrt54g-linksys/q/loc/101/10336386.html

Wait a week and they will be back in stock

Edited by Richard. C on 6/29/2010 at 2:37 PM EST