Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My mom got a new computer but cannot find the security key.

Customer Question
I asked for help to...
My mom got a new computer but cannot find the security key. I asked for help to get connected on wireless with the new computer. The router is model WRT54G. I was told to hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds and then it would work. It doesn't so I am not happy with the first answer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/29/2010
Network Technician: D.Sandlin, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

connect any computer to the lynksys via an ethernet cable

open internet explorer..

in the address bar where http://www.website.com would go..

Type in 192.168.1.1

and hit enter

leave the username blank.. type in admin for the password

now you are inside the router..

click on wireless, then the wireless security subtab..

next to network key. or key.. it will show the password..

if it has it ********** starred out.. then you will have to type in a new password.. make it something you can remember..

then .. at the bottom of the screen click save settings and exit..now disconnect the ethernet cable

and connect wirelessly..

it will ask you for the password..

enter the one we just created..

Save the steps above.. in case you ever want to change the password XXXXX the future..