Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Hello, I am currently using a linksys router for my wireless…

Customer Question
Hello, I am currently using...
Hello, I am currently using a linksys router for my wireless internet. I have used this for the past year and it has been fine, but I am currently trying to get my roommate linked up to my wireless and it isn't working. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/28/2010
Network Technician: Engineer John C., Networking Expert replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Is the router asking a network key or password? do you remember it ?

Thank you

John Cappucci

Edited by John Cappucci on 6/28/2010 at 9:37 PM EST

It asks her to type in the PIN from Linksys Router to configure it. It says you can find the PIN on the information that came with the Linksys Router or on a label attached to the device. However, I gave her the password XXXXX I set up my internet with and it isn't working.

Ok, what OS do you have on YOUR computer ? Vista, XP, 7, etc ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
vista

Ok, Please run the following application from any currently connected computer (to your wireless network) and you will see the password: (run it from your Windows Vista computer)

Click here -----> http://wikisend.com/download/470842

Then click "Download file"

Then click "Run" or "OPEN" when prompted

You should see a window like the following one:

View Full Image
View Full Image

And you will see your password XXXXX (under Key(HEX) and Key(Ascii), try both)

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
when the wireless key view window comes up, there is nothing there. There isn't anything under Key (Hex) or Key (Ascii)

Are you running it from your Vista computer that is already connected to the wireless network ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
yes i am

That's weird.

Ok, please connect your computer directly to the linksys router using an ethernet cable. Then follow the steps below:

1- CLick here ---> http://192.168.1.1

2- You will be prompted for a login - leave the username blank and enter "admin" without the quotes for the password. Once logged in, click Wireless, then Wireless Security in the submenu below it.

3- Your network key (passphrase) will be on the bottom of this page.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Ok, so I tried following the steps above, but when I got to step 2 (typing admin as the password XXXXX leaving the username blank) and it will not let me log in. The response I received is...

401 Unauthorized

Authorization required.

That's because someone changed the default password.

Ok, is this router yours ? Can we reset it to remove the passwords ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
yes, the default password XXXXX changed. A friend of mine set that up yesterday. I'm sorry I didn't mention that earlier. However, she has tried to put in the default password XXXXX was created but it isn't working. The router is mine and yes we can change the password XXXXX whatever, as long as we are both able to use the wireless at the same time.

Ok! please let me know the linksys router model

Thank you

model number is

WRT54G2 V1

Ok, thank you

The router can be set to factory default by pressing the Reset button of the router. Pressing the Reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds will reset your router to its factory default settings.

Please reset it, then (1) restart your computer and also (2) unplug / plug your router from the electricity outlet.

When you are online again please back with me to set the new password.

Please note that your wireless network name will be "linksys" now.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Hello again Smile

Have you tried my solution ?

Thank you

John Cappucci