Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am trying to get a driver for my netgear wnr2000v2 which…

Customer Question
I am trying to get...
I am trying to get a driver for my netgear wnr2000v2 which came with my virgin broadband. I cannot go on line wirelessly with my laptop and the virgin techie suggested I may need a new driver?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/28/2010
Network Technician: Andy Kalita, System Administrator replied 8 years ago
Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator

Hi, I can help you with this. The Netgear WNR2000v2 is a router and as such, doesn't require a driver to connect to itself. Just so that I understand the issue better, you have a netbook currently successfully connected to the wireless, but you can't connect the laptop, correct? Can you tell me what, if any, errors/messages are you getting when you're trying to connect to your wireless with this laptop?

Ok I am on the laptop connected via the ethernet at the moment so will have to revert to the pc to find out what messages I am getting ( last tried this last week before long wedding weekend in Dublin) but if I swap to the pc will I lose this page and communication with you or do I get it back via my e mail address?

If you're currently using the laptop with the issue connecting to wireless, you can stay connected via ethernet, and just try connecting to wireless at the same time.

If you do have to switch to PC, just keep this page open, until you're ready to respond.

I have just unplugged the ethernet cable to the laptop with the problem and it seems to be connected still so hopefully what ever the problem was has been solved? I did try downloading drivers earlier but thought that it hadnt worked and you say that wasnt necessary. I do hate not knowing what is going on!!!!

Sorry ignore last communication it didnt go until after I replugged the ethernet cable. the message was connected with limited access

Ok, that helps, i suspect the issue here may be the security cache of wireless adapter. We'll try to reset it by uninstalling the adapter and restarting the laptop. During the boot up process, Windows will automatically locate and install the necessary drivers. Please follow these steps on the laptop in question:

1. Hit Windows key and R key at same time
  2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter
  3. Locate Network Adapters and click "+" next to it to expand it
  4. Right click on wireless adapter in there and click Uninstall
  5. Restart the laptop
  6. After it finishes restarting, give it couple of minutes, and then try connecting to wireless again

If this answer was helpful to you, please click Accept.

sorry but where/what is the windows key?
Oh, it's on the bottom left of the keyboard, between Ctrl and Alt keys.

the list for network adapter is as follows

atheros AR5007 802.11b/g

isatap...........

NVidIA.............

Atheros one is the one you want to uninstall.
I have swapped my ethernet cable back onto the pc. Having gone through the procedure you suggested the answer is -connection unsuccessful

Did you get any errors/messages while trying to connect the laptop? Also, you have three computers connecting/wanting to connect to the router; netbook, PC and laptop (PC connecting via cable, netbook wirelessly, and laptop you're currently trying to connect) correct?

Error message was couldnt connect. I tried a repair but it still says plug a cable in or view available wireless networks and if I ask it to do that it says that the laptop is connected to my wireless network (ie via my wireless name) but that it does not have access to the internet. The netbook is not connected or even turned on at the moment.

Hmm, this sounds a little odd, and points to either physical issue with wireless adapter in your laptop, or the issue with router. I can suggest to reset the router and reconfigure it just to make sure it's not the one with issue. You'll need to re-connect your netbook as well, but we'll set up the most compatible security, so you shouldn't have any issues with the netbook. This will help rule out the router as the source of an issue. Let me know if you'd like to proceed with it and i'll give you step by step.

Ive reset the router with the Virgin techie. I dont see its a problem with the laptop which I have used wirelessly with my previous broadband provider. I dont see that it can be the router if is works via the ethernet on the pc and wirelessly on the netbook?
Ok, I didn't realize that it worked previously and just stopped when the new router was installed. Regarding the router, there are many settings that are compatible with some computers while incompatible with others (such as wireless security settings, mac address control, etc.), and going through each of them would take time and could add to total confusion. Reason I suggested router reset, is that it would allow for fresh clean slate startover of router configuration. Do you know whether mac address filtering was enabled on the router, and what type of wireless security you have on this router? ALso, what is brand/model of your laptop in question, or if you have serial number/service tag, that would help also?

Edited by Andy Kalita on 6/28/2010 at 9:20 PM EST
Sorry dont know what mac address filtering is or what type of wire less security there is on the router
Can you tell me what is brand/model/service tag or serial number of your laptop?
its a hp compaq presario v6000
I don't see any updated drivers for this model on HP website. THe driver listed there is dated 2007, which is 3 years old by now, and probably the same driver like the one you already have in your laptop. Can you try turning the physical wireless switch off and then back on? Sometimes it helps with these types of situations (I used to have Presario V2000 )
ok just tried that but no further forward
Ok, after doing some research on this, in parallel to our conversation here, i found that it's actually a fairly widespred issue with this particular model of HP laptop. Since you're likely out of warranty, I suspect that HP won't replace the adapter, so your only option may be to purchase a USB wireless adapter to use externally. I will opt out of this question, which will make it open to other experts, in case someone else has another idea.
ok thanks for your help so far. The main problem I have with that is wondering why it has become a problem as I change broadband suppliers. Do you know if there is anyway of knowing if a wireless adapter will solve the problem before I buy?

There really isn't any way to find out until you install the new adapter. I doubt that it's a router, after you've provided the extra details, and it could've been that it was on last legs for a while and finally gave up, when router change occured, but can't tell for sure until new adapter is installed.

ok thanks