Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a linksys-g.......i can get online if I unplug the large…

Customer Question
I have a linksys-g.......i can...
I have a linksys-g.......i can get online if I unplug the large yellow plug and connect it directly to my computer.......nothing is going thru the wi-fi... quest checked the modem and it's working fine......the problem is in my wifi connection... any ideas??.......anybody out there??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Network Technician: Mr. Clark, Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

What version of Windows are you running (XP/Vista/7)? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

This information can be found by going to Start -> Control Panel -> System

With this information, we can begin troubleshooting to resolve your issue.
vista 32bit
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings

What is listed here and the status of the item?

the linksys no longer is recognized by the dsl modem

You will need to reset your Linksys back to factory to restore from the stalled state.

With the power plugged into your Linksys, look on the back of the Linksys for a small reset button. You will need a paper clip or toothpick to push this button in. Push and hold the button for 60 seconds (uninterrupted, if you let go, start the 60 seconds over).

Afterwards, reconnect your router to your modem.

Turn off the modem (unplug the power), turn off your router (unplug the power). Wait 30 seconds. Plug in only the modem. Allow the modem to boot up. When the modem sync light is lit up (after about 60 seconds), plug in the power for your outer.

This will allow your modem to re-register the Mac address of your router.

After doing this, see if you can connect to the internet (the default network will be Linksys).

Update me on the results.