Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Had to change my AT&T connection password. Now I need to go…

Customer Question
Had to change my AT&T...
Had to change my AT&T connection password. Now I need to go thru the connection process everytime I want to go online. I need to program it into the router so that it is done automatically but don't remember how.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/28/2010
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your router please?

When you say you have to enter your password XXXXX time - it this when you are going online with your laptop, meaning each time you log on it asks for your wireless password?

Lynksys WRT54GS
Before I turned on my Computer (hardwired from the router) and went to AOL and automatically had internet access. Since the password XXXXX I have to go to the networking page and click on ATT and click connect before I can go to AOL. The ATT people said I need to put the ATT sign on information into the rourter so it would automatically sign on every time I wanted to access the internet. They could not tell me how to do this. I am hoping you can

Okay - I think I understand what you are saying...

If the login (192.168.1.1) is not working for the router, let's check that first.

Click Start, then in the Search bar type cmd then hit enter. In the new window, type ipconfig, then hit enter.

Find the Default Gateway - it should look something like 192.168.1.1 - can you tell me what yours is?

0.0.0.0

That doesn't look right...bookmark this page or add it to your favorites so you can get back to it.

You can also get back by logging into justanswer.com and clicking my questions.

Let's try logging into the router to change the password XXXXX it could be stored in either the router or the modem and this will help to find out which.

Power off your computer, the router and the modem. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. We want only the router for now.

Power on the router, wait 60 seconds, then power on the computer. Open internet explorer and enter the login address: http://192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear - leave the username blank and enter admin for the password. You should be logged in.

There are two options at this point - pick the correct one:

1) At the top of the page - if the connection type is Automatic Configuration - DHCP, change the local IP address on the page to 192.168.5.1, then save the settings and exit.

Connect the modem to the computer, not using the router and I will give you the next steps. I will need the brand and model number of the modem to do this part.

2) At the top of the page - if the connection type is PPPoE - change your password XXXXX save. Reconnect the modem and power everything off. Power on the modem, router and pc wait 60 seconds between each and you should be back to normal.

I can't open internet exployer if the cable is disconnected.

When you are connected to just the router, not using the modem, can you run the ipconfig command and tell me if you get a different result than 0.0.0.0 please?

Find the Default Gateway - it should look something like 192.168.1.1...

Default gateway is 192.168.2.1 but when I type it in the browser window it still will not go there. Get cannot connect message

Thank you...are you directly connected to the router when doing this or are you doing it wirelessly?

If you are online in the next few minutes, I will have some resolution for you - the connection needs to be changed at the modem...

Can you tell me the brand and model of the modem please? As soon as I have that, I can give you the final steps...

Edited by Kevin on 6/29/2010 at 1:36 AM EST
I am hardwired to the router and do not have a modem. Internet connection is directly to router.

I'm not sure exactly how your connection is working without a modem - where does the service come in from to get to your router? A phone line or tv cable?

Fiberoptic cable.

Okay - thank you. The modem/equipment is usually attached to the side or inside of your home.

Let's get your settings changed:

Power off your computer and disconnect the router from the incoming internet connection. Press and hold the reset button on the back for 15 seconds, then release.

Wait 60 seconds, then power on your computer. Open your browser and enter this address: http://192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear - leave the username blank, enter admin for the password. You should now be logged in.

Change the connection type at the top from Automatic Configuration(DHCP) to PPPoE. Enter your username and password, then save the settings.

Click Wireless - enter a new network name in the SSID box - anything is fine, just don't use something you have used in the past. Save the settings.

Click Wireless Security, just below Wireless. Change your Security Mode to WPA-Personal, then enter a password XXXXX the passphrase/preshared key box, then save.

Power off the router and computer. Reconnect the ethernet cable to the router.

Power on the router, wait 60 seconds, then power on the computer. You should now be online with the router and new password.

Reconnect your wireless devices to your new wireless netowrk - if you have any questions how to do this, please let me know.