Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

You have just been promoted to a new position as the Senior…

Customer Question
You have just been promoted...
You have just been promoted to a new position as the Senior Network Engineer of your company and are
anxious to make a good impression on your superiors. For your first assignment, you are asked to design
a plan to increase the network addressing in several departments due to a major expansion.
There will be a requirement for additional employees in every department and you will need to increase
the IP addressing in Department A by 65 additional addresses, Department B by 30 additional addresses,
Department C by 15 additional addresses, and Department D by 5 additional addresses.
You have a Class C address of 192.168.75.0 and are currently supporting 30 users in Department A, 27
users in Department B, 11 users in Department C, and 9 users in Department D. Each department is
supported by one or more switches and connects to a router. This change will need to be in four routers:
one supporting Department A, one supporting Department B, one supporting Department C, and one
supporting Department D. Subnets need to be created to connect Router A to Router B, Router B to
Router C, and Router C to Router D.
Current Departments Current subnet mask Additional users
Department A 30 users 255.255.255.224 or /27 65
Department B 27 users 255.255.255.224 or /27 30
Department C 11 users 255.255.255.224 or /27 15
Department D 9 users 255.255.255.224 or /27 5
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/28/2010
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 8 years ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician
Good day,

I look forward to helping you with this question. First, can you please repost the question including the proper line breaks? This way, I can be sure not to make any mistakes.

Thank you.
You have just been promoted to a new position as the Senior Network Engineer of your company and are anxious to make a good impression on your superiors. For your first assignment, you are asked to design

There will be a requirement for additional employees in every department and you will need to increase the IP addressing in Department A by 65 additional addresses, Department B by 30 additional addresses, Department C by 15 additional addresses, and Department D by 5 additional addresses.

You have a Class C address of 192.168.75.0 and are currently supporting 30 users in Department A, 27 users in Department B, 11 users in Department C, and 9 users in Department D. Each department is
supported by one or more switches and connects to a router. This change will need to be in four routers: one supporting Department A, one supporting Department B, one supporting Department C, and one
supporting Department D. Subnets need to be created to connect Router A to Router B, Router B to Router C, and Router C to Router D.

I also placed the .pdf on skydrive.
http://cid-8a73eb49ef85dac5.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/PDF%20of%20Question.pdf
Thank you.

I do not understand the requirements for.

I see that their will be an IP Scheme of 192.168.75.0, is that going to be the IP scheme behind the four routers?

Example:
Are all the users in Department A routed through their router/gateway, to the main network?

Thank you.
I think the missing piece is that all of this is supposed to deal with VLSMs (Variable Length Subnet Masks. I think the exercise is suppose to require that I take the ip address of 192.168.75.0 that is the current scheme for the 4 departments and use it to create additional ip addresses for each department. I hope that makes sense. Did you see the full pdf that I put on the skydrive?
Here you go. I suggest that you use the following scheme:

Main Router: 255.255.255.0

Dept A: 255.255.255.0
Dept B: 255.255.255.0
Dept C: 255.255.255.224
Dept D: 255.255.240

Please, update me on any questions that you may have.

Thank you // Peace.
Jason Jones, Network Technician
How did you come up with the following and is Dept D a typo?

Main Router: 255.255.255.0

Dept A: 255.255.255.0
Dept B: 255.255.255.0
Dept C: 255.255.255.224
Dept D: 255.255.240
Thank you for checking on that. D was not an error, but B was. I am not sure how I missed that one.

Dept A: 95 users
Dept B: 57 users
Dept C: 26 users
Dept D: 14 users

For Dept A, you have to use 255.255.255.0 (You have 256 available addresses with this mask)
For Dept B, you have to use 255.255.255.192 (You have 64 available addresses with this mask)
For Dept C, you have to use 255.255.255.224 (You have 32 available addresses with this mask)
For Dept D, you have to use 255.255.255.240 (You have 16 available addresses with this mask)
I'm wondering if it's a bit overkill for Dept A since they only require 95 Ip addresses and chose 256. Also I'm assuming that routes would be setup to allow each of the devices to communicate with each other?
255.255.255.128 Will suffice, for Dept A. This will allow for 128 clients.
Sorry for the delay I had to make sure everything was correct. Thanks again for your help. Have a great holiday weekend.
Fantastic!

Thank you for the update.