Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

hi my linksys was working fine and I replaced a cable and now…

Customer Question
hi my linksys was working...
hi my linksys was working fine and I replaced a cable and now I cannot get it to work. internet works when the etheral is connected directly to computer but not when connected to the linksys
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/27/2010
Network Technician: Adam Wright, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Adam Wright
Adam Wright, Computer Support Specialist
Are you sure that the cable you replaced is a patch cable and not a crossover cable? It sounds like that could very well be the problem. Why did you need to replace the cable?
It is exactly the same cable. I'm talking about the one that looks like a phone line. I had to replace it because the wiring got old and frayed. I am quite sure that is not the problem as the problem seems to be with the etheral cable, not the one I replaced. when I connect it directly to my computer it works, to the linksys it does not. It's the same one I've had and it worked before.
I understand what you are talking about. A patch cable and a crossover cable look (physically) the same. The only difference in them is the way that the wires inside are connected. I would suggest a fresh reboot of all equipment at this point. Here is the correct procedure for doing this. Remove power from the modem, the router and disconnect the cables from all equipment as well. Wait for a few minutes and then (while all cables are still disconnected) replace power to the modem. Wait until it boots completely and then connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the Internet port on the router and replace power to the router. Wait until it boots completely and then reconnect the ethernet cable from the computer to one of the ports on the router. If the cables are all correct and nothing else has changed, then you should now be connected.
Adam Wright
yeah I already knew that. never mind.