Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Linksys router (WRT160N v2) wired into my Gateway…

I have a Linksys router...
I have a Linksys router (WRT160N v2) wired into my Gateway XP Pro PC. McAfee is the security protector. 2 days ago I set up wireless connections to 2 laptops and they work fine. Now my Gateway wired PC is having major problems hooking up to websites. I get error messages such as "network DNS lookup error" and "server not found" and "address is invalid". Sometimes I can connect to main site pages (Google, Yahoo) but cannot get to tier 2 pages. Sometimes I can access a tier 2 page and then cannot get back to the main page. I disconnected and reconnected the power cord and network cord several times, and it will work for a brief period- which is how I'm able to connect to you. Any ideas? Thanks.
6/27/2010
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Next click Start, then Run then type CMD in the Run box and press Enter. Then on the command line type

net stop dnscache

and press Enter then try again.
Looking good. Many thanks. One other question: on the router, the light in the middle on the front (under the Linksys name) is not on now. Should it be?
Great, glad that helped.

As for the light, if I understand correctly, that sounds like the wireless light so should be on if you have devices connected via wireless.
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Got it. Thanks.