Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

how do i secure my wireless network

Customer Question
how do i secure my wireless network
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Network Technician: LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
LANCAT
LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist

Type this into your web browser: http://192.168.1.1

It will bring you to the Linksys setup page.

A window will pop up prompting you for a username and password XXXXX access the configuration page for your router. Enter "admin" (without quotes) for both the username and password.

From there you can change your router name if you feel like it.

click on the Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen. Change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default value to something unique (you can use the same name you set as your Router Name in the previous step. Then Disable the Wireless SSID Broadcast option and click Save Settings.

Now click on the Wireless Security subsection at the top of the page. In order to password XXXXX your wireless network first use the Security Mode dropdown box to select WEP and then from the WEP Security dropdown box select 128 bits 26 hex digits. Choose a password XXXXX 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box. Then click Generate. Finally click Save Settings.

after I applied your answer my session was ended and I have had no internet connection until this afternoon so I have been unable to contact you. I don't know what I did but I spent the weekend trying every thing I could find on my computer to get online. Today I spent about 4 hrs on the phone with Comcast, Linksys, Microsoft, comcast again and then linksys again. They ended up starting from scratch and redoing the whole set-up over.

Everything is working fine now. Sorry I couldn't get back to you online when I lost you the first time. Linksys charge me $29 for the fix. What do you think about my payment to you? Let me know.

thanks, Jack

Network Technician: D.Sandlin, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator

We have a satisfaction gurantee policy..

If your not satisfied.. you can either leave your deposit on the site for the next time around..

Or.. you can get it refunded.. The choice is yours..

By the way..

If you wanted to know.. The reason that you lost internet for two days. was due to the instructions given to you by fixtor..

he told you to shut off the broadcast of the ssid

that caused your router to no longer annnounce it was broadcasting..

an average user would have no way possibkle of knowing how to find their network after that.

I apologize you ran into such a bad answer.. if you still need to secure your router..

I can show you how to do so.. without shutting down your whole network..

Your satisfaction as a customer is our main concern here..